New law, parents/kids sitting together

Again, document it with the reservations and flight attendants if it's a quantifiable, qualifiable need and all of this he said she said me me me me me meeeeeeeee I'm better than you I need more than you I'm more important than you I'm taller than you simply...ends.
why should you have to if you took care of it by selecting and possibly paying for an appropriate seat. If I have an issue with needed to use the restroom frequently and urgently, I don't want to have to discuss that in public with a stranger. I may choose instead to book and aisle seat near the restroom.

Could you imagine the line to get on a plane if everyone had to explain why they chose their seat. Why should they have to justify it. People with kids are no more or less special than others. If you want to choose a seat next to your child book and airline that allows that and check it periodically. that's what we do and that is what we will continue to do. Everyone has different needs.

Again, document it with the reservations and flight attendants if it's a quantifiable, qualifiable need and all of this he said she said me me me me me meeeeeeeee I'm better than you I need more than you I'm more important than you I'm taller than you simply...ends.

Why should I have to document anything that I have gone to measures to deal with by choosing my seat or paying for extra-leg room or first class or whatever? That seems to be jumping an extreme line. I will stand by that if there is no way to select your seat with out paying then groups booking together should be seated together or at minimum warned the airplane is almost at capacity and therefore your party may be split but beyond that no everyone should not have to document every single reason why they may have booked early to have the pick of the litter when it comes to seats or have to say why they are paying the fee to pick that specific seat.

Yeah ok...

1) didn't say I was better than you nor do I think you should make assumptions about people like that.
2) it is impractical and an invasion of privacy for every single person to have to tell the airlines every single time "hey tall person here" or "sensitive ears person here". It's also rude of someone to ask..why do you need the aisle, middle, window, front of the plane, back of the plane, middle of the plane, by the restrooms, etc..geez you seem to think the airlines have infinite time to get to know each and every one of their customers in that intimate way. I can quietly discuss with the flight attendant if needed (such as a request to move) regarding why I chose a seat but I do not need to tell them upon my reservation nor when I am boarding the plane or they are walking past me.
3) Contrary to your belief, which you are certaintly allowed to have, a person who chooses not to move isn't a terrible jerk, who is selfish beyond all reason in all facets of their life walking around with this "me first" attitude.

I am not required by law to tell the airline what my disability is. Why should I be required to do that just to keep the seat I picked? That is a great violation of my privacy. No one needs to know that I have a diagnosis of anything and what it is.

Your opinion is flawed and subjective. This thread is about children sitting with their families and a bunch of people who claim to have larger needs than a child to sit with a parent are bent out of shape. Similar to getting a handicap license plate, there are quantifiable diagnosis for considerations that must be proven in most walks of life. It's not a "violation of privacy" to disclose to official staff a diagnosis whether physical or mental that requires accommodation. I honestly do believe there are a lot of people on this thread who are advocating for selfish behavior. No, you don't have to tell them exactly what your issue is but by ADA rule it can be required for you to state in writing that you require accommodation. If you truly have a need you don't mind doing this, in private without disclosure to the public. Again, nobody actually read the law and supporting evidence and quite obviously people need a briefing on ADA ticketing.

Your opinion is flawed and subjective. This thread is about children sitting with their families and a bunch of people who claim to have larger needs than a child to sit with a parent are bent out of shape. Similar to getting a handicap license plate, there are quantifiable diagnosis for considerations that must be proven in most walks of life. It's not a "violation of privacy" to disclose to official staff a diagnosis whether physical or mental that requires accommodation. I honestly do believe there are a lot of people on this thread who are advocating for selfish behavior. No, you don't have to tell them exactly what your issue is but by ADA rule it can be required for you to state in writing that you require accommodation. If you truly have a need you don't mind doing this, in private without disclosure to the public. Again, nobody actually read the law and supporting evidence and quite obviously people need a briefing on ADA ticketing.
Obtaining a handicapped placard/license plate is a far different process than being seated on an airplane.

Passengers that may have a disability are not required to travel with "proof", nor are the required to disclose.

If you get ADA ticketing that is a completely different thing. There are things not quantified under the ADA that some people self accommodate by paying for specific seating assignments or booking early or whatever. If I get to the actual plane and am in my seat and settled I can tell you for all certainty 9 times out of 10 I'm going to say no to moving. If it is done before I get on the flight or requested before that moment yeah you want to move my party up to first class or extra leg room so this wonderful family can sit together then sure great I'll help out but if you wait until the very last moment to ask for any assistance from the crew then nope sorry not moving. Call me a jerk all you want then.

Also yes it is usually last minute because every time I have seen a family go up before boarding the crew has made an announcement saying oh are there X number of people sitting together who are willing to come forward and help us get a family to sit together or a similar announcement where they may call up people to discuss the situation before actually boarding. If you have to ask me while I'm in my seat then it is past the point of me being rude and self centered and is on the person asking.

actually the ADA does not apply to airlines the Air Carrier Access law does. Here is the relevant part.

Pre-Flight Notifications
Pre-flight notification to the airline is generally not required.People with disabilities do not need to tell the airline ahead of time that he or she plans on flying, except under certain specific circumstances. These circumstances include traveling by stretcher, traveling with an electronic wheelchair or other device with special batteries, or requiring a hook-up to the airline’s oxygen system during flight.

If none of these conditions apply to you, the airline may not deny you travel for failing to tell them ahead of time.

Obtaining a handicapped placard/license plate is a far different process than being seated on an airplane.

Passengers that may have a disability are not required to travel with "proof", nor are the required to disclose.
It is quite obvious that the previous poster has little to no idea of what the ADA requires and does, must less the fact that it wouldn't even apply here.. It's not worth the argument at this point because they will refuse to listen and continue to call people selfish. Once it came down to that sort of name calling, one had to know there was nothing that could be said and done. I'm sorry I got baited into it.

If you get ADA ticketing that is a completely different thing. There are things not quantified under the ADA that some people self accommodate by paying for specific seating assignments or booking early or whatever. If I get to the actual plane and am in my seat and settled I can tell you for all certainty 9 times out of 10 I'm going to say no to moving. If it is done before I get on the flight or requested before that moment yeah you want to move my party up to first class or extra leg room so this wonderful family can sit together then sure great I'll help out but if you wait until the very last moment to ask for any assistance from the crew then nope sorry not moving. Call me a jerk all you want then.

Also yes it is usually last minute because every time I have seen a family go up before boarding the crew has made an announcement saying oh are there X number of people sitting together who are willing to come forward and help us get a family to sit together or a similar announcement where they may call up people to discuss the situation before actually boarding. If you have to ask me while I'm in my seat then it is past the point of me being rude and self centered and is on the person asking.

ok another who hasn't read the bill or backstory. The law is preventing this exact situation from happening. And people are upset about it. It's becoming hilarious to read these responses

the law does not say what you think it says.

I've read the entire thing and followed the law through the Senate did you? What Senator sponsored the bill? What state did it start in? Do you know? no googling.

ok another who hasn't read the bill or backstory. The law is preventing this exact situation from happening. And people are upset about it. It's becoming hilarious to read these responses

I have read. I'm not talking about the law. I'm saying that as of right now if someone makes the request while they are on the plane and have done 0 before to ask for help and assistance or paid to get seats together then that is on them and nobody else. Like I said I'm all for trying to prevent it by telling families sorry you can't be booked on this flight to Florida because there is no way for us to seat you together (because that is what is going to happen) but as of TODAY'S standings if you aren't actively trying to get help before you physically board the plan then no it is not rude for another person to say oh I'm so sorry I really don't want to move it is selfish to think people will just move for you.

It is quite obvious that the previous poster has little to no idea of what the ADA requires and does, must less the fact that it wouldn't even apply here.. It's not worth the argument at this point because they will refuse to listen and continue to call people selfish. Once it came down to that sort of name calling, one had to know there was nothing that could be said and done. I'm sorry I got baited into it.

They can be required by ADA law to state they need accommodation. Gosh does anybody know the actual laws or do they just make things up? Should I link the site?

They can be required by ADA law to state they need accommodation. Gosh does anybody know the actual laws or do they just make things up? Should I link the site?
Links are always helpful-it's good to read what sites/specifics someone is referencing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter