New law, parents/kids sitting together

Wow why so much anger here? Sometimes it’s not possible to get all the seats together initially. For instance yesterday coming home f Disney we had comfort plus seats on delta. When booking the only seat options were in 4 rows for 4 family members including a 6yo and a 3yo. It did not let us downgrade just that flight so we could pick other seats. We already paid a premium for more space. Should we have changed our first flight for the day? Or have a 5 hr layover? Or stay in a hotel to get a different flight next day when we can pay for seats for that one? We tried to change seats before the flight but they said we’d have to ask at the gate for THAT flight. So we waited.

So they had to split up an adult couple (they weren’t initially sitting together either, just happened to get to the gate agent first to switch. Sorry I wasn’t able to be first in line while trying to feed, bathroom and clean up after 2 small kids during our layover.). Her reaction? “Oh small kids? Of COURSE, no problem!” She was post kids so totally got it. She sat next to us and witnessed my 3yo w a cold and exhausted from travel cry in my arms before falling asleep. And she was totally sweet about it.

I switched seats for families before I had kids, it was NOT a big deal. I’m an adult, I don’t HAVE to sit w someone I know. Flying w kids is painful enough. Kids need to sit w their parents. How is a stranger going to manage a sick, active and tired 3yo?

I get if it’s clear they’re filling one off seats for a reduced price, but that’s not always the case.

Wow why so much anger here? Sometimes it’s not possible to get all the seats together initially. For instance yesterday coming home f Disney we had comfort plus seats on delta. When booking the only seat options were in 4 rows for 4 family members including a 6yo and a 3yo. It did not let us downgrade just that flight so we could pick other seats. We already paid a premium for more space. Should we have changed our first flight for the day? Or have a 5 hr layover? Or stay in a hotel to get a different flight next day when we can pay for seats for that one? We tried to change seats before the flight but they said we’d have to ask at the gate for THAT flight. So we waited.

So they had to split up an adult couple (they weren’t initially sitting together either, just happened to get to the gate agent first to switch. Sorry I wasn’t able to be first in line while trying to feed, bathroom and clean up after 2 small kids during our layover.). Her reaction? “Oh small kids? Of COURSE, no problem!” She was post kids so totally got it. She sat next to us and witnessed my 3yo w a cold and exhausted from travel cry in my arms before falling asleep. And she was totally sweet about it.

I switched seats for families before I had kids, it was NOT a big deal. I’m an adult, I don’t HAVE to sit w someone I know. Flying w kids is painful enough. Kids need to sit w their parents. How is a stranger going to manage a sick, active and tired 3yo?

I get if it’s clear they’re filling one off seats for a reduced price, but that’s not always the case.
Yes if you are flying with small children and you cannot book seats together you should not take the flight. Choose a different one. Call the airline and see what they can do to move you to other seats together. It’s your responsibility to make sure your small children are in a position where they can be cared for. You chose to do what was convenient for you and forget about how it could impact those around you. You’rethe one who seems angry because people don’t agree that traveling with small children puts parents in some kind of special group that others should move around to accommodate. Your lack of planning does not make an emergency for someone else. And if you were taking care of the children what was the other adult doing? They could have spoken to the gate agent while you were doing that.

Last edited:
Way off topic now, but I used to be shocked at how many people basically think kids should be treated as adults at Disney. In real life we don’t expect kids to be able to hold their bladders as long as adults (waiting in line/for parades) or to have patience to sit patiently for hours (waiting for parades and fireworks) or not to be disappointed if an adult elbows them out of the way so they can be “first” (meet and greets, parades, fireworks, just all of it). I’m used to it now, but still find it ridiculous. And egads - don’t EVER say Disney is for kids! The world will explode. Disney IS for everyone, but sometimes a bit of grace for the littles and their caregivers is a kind way to live.

You make it sound like having kids is a horrible disease, (caregivers?) or that because someone chooses to have children and take them somewhere they are owed more than other people. And then it will be on to the victim game, oh wait you kind of went there already!

It’s was nice that someone was willing to move to accommodate you, but no one should go in expecting kindness from strangers.

I have a young son myself, and I wouldn’t book a flight where I couldn’t put him next to at least one parent. Period.

Also, I have anxiety (I’m medicated for it), and have a strong preference to be with my family when I fly as it is a situation that spikes my anxiety. I wouldn’t split from my husband to accommodate someone else. You simply don’t know what the situation is of anyone around you and again, shouldn’t go into a flight expecting others to move. It’s everyone’s responsibility to look out for their own family.

It wasn’t this lady’s original seat, she and husband weren’t initially sitting together either, they switched into the seat next to me which I guess the airline was holding for such accommodations. I’m not sure why I couldn’t initially book into it. There were a lot of people trying to get seats together on this particular flight, it’s like they didn’t release seats together or something. All else failing I would have been happy to trade my comfort plus seats w someone in the back. And I wouldn’t demand a particular person to switch with us but I’ve switched for families several times and never thought anything of it. There’s usually a single rider happy to take a window or aisle in trade for their middle seat.

I've picked out seats, only to have had my seat assignments changed so that we are no longer sitting together, but I don't think I've ever been all that worried about it either way. I always just go up to the gate and let the gate agent know, sometimes they fix it, sometimes they can't. I've always felt that if the airline doesn't want me to sit next to my child, that's fine! I'll grab a magazine, and a ginger ale, and enjoy my flight in peace. But I do always offer to switch seats with the poor soul who is stuck next to my five year old who wants to discuss dinosaurs the entire trip and help him pick up the crayons he dropped. I don't think I've ever had anyone not take me up on the offer!

You make it sound like having kids is a horrible disease, (caregivers?) or that because someone chooses to have children and take them somewhere they are owed more than other people. And then it will be on to the victim game, oh wait you kind of went there already!
Not at all what I said. But you went a long way in proving my point, so thanks!

It’s was nice that someone was willing to move to accommodate you, but no one should go in expecting kindness from strangers.

I have a young son myself, and I wouldn’t book a flight where I couldn’t put him next to at least one parent. Period.

Also, I have anxiety (I’m medicated for it), and have a strong preference to be with my family when I fly as it is a situation that spikes my anxiety. I wouldn’t split from my husband to accommodate someone else. You simply don’t know what the situation is of anyone around you and again, shouldn’t go into a flight expecting others to move. It’s everyone’s responsibility to look out for their own family.

So my main point is let’s not attack OP for asking a reasonable question. They’re trying to plan which is why they’re asking here. I tried to plan and the airline said ask at the gate for the flight to change seats so that’s what I did. And the seat next to me was given away literally minutes before I got up there so they gave it back. Worst case I had a window in row 10, my kid had a middle in row 11. I could have switched equivalent seats, window for window w the person sitting next to my kid. They’re already not sitting next to someone they know so I don’t see why it would be such a huge problem.

If I asked you to switch and you really don’t want to please say so. No problem. Don’t need to say why just say you prefer to stay together. There are lots of people on the plane and many are riding alone and wouldn’t mind switching. I am one of those people when I’m not flying w my kids. I honestly and truly do not care which uncomfortable seat I spend the next few hours in unless I’m with my kids. I get to feel good about switching and it’s totally neutral for me. I’m there to watch movies, maybe read. If you don’t want to switch don’t. That’s totally fine.

If I’m sitting next to your husband (say you planned ahead and got bumped for some screaming banshee child) and you want my middle seat for your aisle so you can be with him, I say “hot dog! Yes I’ll switch!” Or even middle for middle or I’ll even take a middle seat if someone really needs the switch even if they don’t have kids. I’m guessing a lot of people feel the same way and would be fine moving so anyone can sit together even without kids. If it’s an equivalent switch for a single rider then whatever. Maybe if im being asked to give up my seat up front for way in the back in the aisle by the bathrooms for adults w no particular needs to sit together I may not. But you know, case by case.

I’ve flown w my kids twice a year since they were born and this is the first time I’ve had to ask for this kindness and it was greatly appreciated. If you need the same for whatever reason I’d switch.

So my main point is let’s not attack OP for asking a reasonable question.
Do keep in mind the original OP of this thread posted this on September 20th, 2016. It's now November 5th, 2018.

Over time the thread gets rivived every now and then and the topics shift and change or people respond with their experiences and questions. You're also going to have people responding in a manner of generality.

To that end I've seen multiple threads regarding expecting, asking, requesting, etc people to switch seats to accommodate their family or traveling party. The threads don't tend to go all that well so in other words I wouldn't take it as a personal thing against the OP of this thread.

I don't understand this argument. Businesses can charge what they want. Why do people see Disney as a business and have no problem paying for up charges (i.e. dessert parties, MVMCP etc.) and increased resort and ticket prices but when another business does it (i.e. airlines) they get all bent out of shape?

I also don't understand the entitlement of some parents. You chose to have a child. I also chose to have a child. It is my responsibility to take care of he/she. If the airline has a price structure that means anyone (not just parents with children) have to pay extra to choose a seat then you pay extra. I don't see why this is even an argument. It is not prejudicial in anyway towards parents or any other person. Here is a link to the US Dept of Transportation site that explains exactly what many posters already said. It also has links to individual airlines several of which have been mentioned.
https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/family-seating

I guess I'm just a little perplexed why it is such a big deal to some people to have to pay extra to choose a seat. My DH and I have been flying more often the last few years. We always go with Jetblue. We pay the premium for the bigger seats and the extra for a checked bag. That is the way we choose to travel. I have priced out so called discount/no frills airlines and since I want the frills (i.e. check bag and carry on) they cost about the same as Jetblue. My husband is a big guy and likes the extra legroom and the guarantee of an aisle seat. I sit by the window so we usually have a stranger between us if the flight is full. He also won't fly Southwest because of not being able to choose your seats ahead of time. We will never fly an airline that does not let us choose our seats ahead of time or that we have to jump through hoops to get good seats.

We have never had our seats changed because Jetblue doesn't tend to change things last minute or overbook planes. That is not to say it would never happen. If I knew that you paid to pick seats and then your seats were changed through no fault of your own I would definitely consider switching with you. If you chose the cheapest fare and then were shocked that the airline didn't accommodate your family, then no I wouldn't change seats even if it meant sitting next to your young child. Why should your lack of planning become my problem?

Do keep in mind the original OP of this thread posted this on September 20th, 2016. It's now November 5th, 2018.

Over time the thread gets rivived every now and then and the topics shift and change or people respond with their experiences and questions. You're also going to have people responding in a manner of generality.

To that end I've seen multiple threads regarding expecting, asking, requesting, etc people to switch seats to accommodate their family or traveling party. The threads don't tend to go all that well so in other words I wouldn't take it as a personal thing against the OP of this thread.

Haha good point!!! I didn’t see the date.

I guess if someone REALLY wanted to sit next to my kid instead of switching then great. But I wouldn’t recommend it.

As someone who’s flown a lot by myself and w others I guess I don’t understand the anger about switching equivalent seats w a single rider.

Not at all what I said. But you went a long way in proving my point, so thanks!

Oh, did you change it? Yes your point was proven that people with kids think they are entitled to stuff over other people and that is not taken kindly by others who do not see the need for that entitlement.

Oh, did you change it? Yes your point was proven that people with kids think they are entitled to stuff over other people and that is not taken kindly by others who do not see the need for that entitlement.
Goodness. You just make things up, don’t you?

I think attitude makes all the difference. I’m always willing to help a parent in need. Just ask nicely. I don’t want to help, however, if you approach me with an attitude. It’s not my fault you didn’t get the seats you need. I hear parents on these boards say that they tell the person sitting next to their child that they can take care of the child and try to hand them snacks and toys. Not cool. I’ll help you but don’t treat me like that if you want my help.

I think attitude makes all the difference. I’m always willing to help a parent in need. Just ask nicely. I don’t want to help, however, if you approach me with an attitude. It’s not my fault you didn’t get the seats you need. I hear parents on these boards say that they tell the person sitting next to their child that they can take care of the child and try to hand them snacks and toys. Not cool. I’ll help you but don’t treat me like that if you want my help.
And don't ask to change my aisle or window seat for a middle seat.

It wasn’t this lady’s original seat, she and husband weren’t initially sitting together either, they switched into the seat next to me which I guess the airline was holding for such accommodations. I’m not sure why I couldn’t initially book into it. There were a lot of people trying to get seats together on this particular flight, it’s like they didn’t release seats together or something. All else failing I would have been happy to trade my comfort plus seats w someone in the back. And I wouldn’t demand a particular person to switch with us but I’ve switched for families several times and never thought anything of it. There’s usually a single rider happy to take a window or aisle in trade for their middle seat.

Some of these changes are not appreciated by the folks impacted. WE booked our Delta flights over 6 months in advance of our Aruba trip. The seats were carefully picked out, and with reason. Two of my family members have severe anxiety in a plane, which is why we booked as early as feasible, knowing we may be paying more than need be. Well, you guessed it. We got bumped, scattered all over the plane. I did not pitch a hissy fit, but I was pretty darn firm as to which ones of us were going to be split when I called. I was informed we would be moved however in the event people with kids boarded, we would not be allowed to sit in those reserved rows. I was pretty peeved. We did everything right, booked early, chose seats, and called when it was clear there was a problem, but still, no preference over people who booked later than us, and who had children. Now I have no problem sitting anywhere for a child, but there are people with valid reasons for wanting their seats where they chose, and it is rude to believe that in order for one to avoid inconvenience, etc it is acceptable to slide their problem on another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!