New law, parents/kids sitting together

My DH works for Spirit so we can technically fly standby for free as long as there are available seats. Since we would be stuck in whatever seats happen to be available (which almost certainly would not be together), we chose to PAY $600 for 3 tickets, $60 of which was to to select our seats, so we could sit next to our daughter. It's her first flight since she was a baby and I want her to feel comfortable and get used to flying, so I paid to ensure we would be together. Sure, I could have saved myself $600 and taken what is FREE to us, but I don't think it's right to expect anyone else (who probably paid for their seat assignment) to move to accommodate us and for this particularly flight, we needed to be together. If after this time she feels comfortable enough flying to not need to be next to us (and I'm almost certain she will), then we will fly standby, take whatever seats are available, most likely not be together, and would not dream of asking anyone else to move to accommodate us.

I find it ridiculous that it seems like certain people are trying to intimidate others into giving up their seats so they can sit next to their kid. If your kid is a nervous flyer or sick, it should be the parent's responsibility to ensure their child is sitting next to them. If you are not together, it is still your responsibility to take care of your child, not that of whatever adult is nearby that chose not to forfeit their paid for seat. It is not a complete stranger's responsibility to clean up your child's puke, remind them to use the restroom, entertain them, or in any other way babysit them. Sure, it's nice if that stranger offers to help a child open their snack when they are having trouble or strikes up a conversation, and I'm sure many adults would be happy to do this, but even that should not be expected.

This has nothing to do with people being sadistic or thinking that children should be separated from their parents. This is about taking responsibility for yourself and your family and not expecting others to have to move and potentially be less comfortable/lose money they paid to reserve a seat in advance.

I have flown on two separate weekends this month and have seen something that made me smile. Both weekends Southwest when over the intercom explaining family boarding said if you are traveling with children under 6 you can family board but no more than two adults! Finally, no more family of 11 adults and 1 six year old getting priority boarding.

On two legs DD was with me so we paid for Early Bird so we were sure we could sit together. On two legs I was buy myself and didn't pay for early bird. My husband and son fly out this weekend and I did Early Bird again so they could ensure to sit together. They are teenagers age 14 and 15 and are more than capable of sitting alone, but you pay extra for that guarantee. Yes, I have also seen only one person pay for early bird and then get on and try to save seats for their family. That is risky as you really shouldn't be saving seats. I am not just talking about one seat next to you. I saw a woman save her row (second row) and the row behind her (5 extra seats) for her family that did not pay for early bird.

I think this was the family the Stewardess on my flight was talking about :) I am A preferred so if she had saved seats I wanted she would be out of luck. Im good with someone saving 1 seat but that is it.

This has nothing to do with people being sadistic or thinking that children should be separated from their parents. This is about taking responsibility for yourself and your family and not expecting others to have to move and potentially be less comfortable/lose money they paid to reserve a seat in advance.
You guys sounds like awesome parents! Thank you for being responsible and respectful!

My DH works for Spirit so we can technically fly standby for free as long as there are available seats. Since we would be stuck in whatever seats happen to be available (which almost certainly would not be together), we chose to PAY $600 for 3 tickets, $60 of which was to to select our seats, so we could sit next to our daughter. It's her first flight since she was a baby and I want her to feel comfortable and get used to flying, so I paid to ensure we would be together. Sure, I could have saved myself $600 and taken what is FREE to us, but I don't think it's right to expect anyone else (who probably paid for their seat assignment) to move to accommodate us and for this particularly flight, we needed to be together. If after this time she feels comfortable enough flying to not need to be next to us (and I'm almost certain she will), then we will fly standby, take whatever seats are available, most likely not be together, and would not dream of asking anyone else to move to accommodate us.

I find it ridiculous that it seems like certain people are trying to intimidate others into giving up their seats so they can sit next to their kid. If your kid is a nervous flyer or sick, it should be the parent's responsibility to ensure their child is sitting next to them. If you are not together, it is still your responsibility to take care of your child, not that of whatever adult is nearby that chose not to forfeit their paid for seat. It is not a complete stranger's responsibility to clean up your child's puke, remind them to use the restroom, entertain them, or in any other way babysit them. Sure, it's nice if that stranger offers to help a child open their snack when they are having trouble or strikes up a conversation, and I'm sure many adults would be happy to do this, but even that should not be expected.

I guess why I've always traded seats is because if a kid yaks all over me or pees themself then sure, it's not my responsibility. But I have to sit covered in vomit or inhaling urine for the whole trip in my preferred seat or at least until the seatbelt sign is turned off.

I guess why I've always traded seats is because if a kid yaks all over me or pees themself then sure, it's not my responsibility. But I have to sit covered in vomit or inhaling urine for the whole trip in my preferred seat or at least until the seatbelt sign is turned off.

I completely understand why anyone would want to avoid that situation. I do think, however, that that's where parental responsibility comes in with parents knowing their child and what they can/can't handle and what they may or may not do on a plane. If someone has a child that still has accidents or is at the age where it's in the realm of possibility in unfamiliar territory (such as a potty trained pre-school that isn't used to flying), or a child that easily gets motion sickness, is currently ill, or has gotten sick on a plane in the past, then the parent ought to know that their child should be sitting next to them and plan accordingly. Yes, a kid can get randomly sick or have an accident unexpectedly, but I would imagine that in most instances in which kids get sick/have accidents, the parents would have had at least a slight inclination that it was a possibility and should have planned to be sitting next to their child rather than placing the responsibility on a complete stranger to either move or deal with their kid.

I think it's very kind of you to have traded seats to keep families together. I just think that in most cases (with the exception of airline's changing a family's pre-booked seats, cancelled flights, stuff like that), there really should be no need for people to trade seats if people would take responsibility for their own family's needs and prepare accordingly.

This entire thread is about those who don't have children or don't care about other people's children, being upset because now children and parents have the opportunity to sit together on a flight?

People don't care if the parents aren't with their children but God forbid if the kid sits next to them and is less than perfect.

So what is it? Do you want the bratty kid with its Mama so you don't have to clean up puke and goldfish crackers or do you want to stay in your seat with the chance you'll have a bratty kid next to you who you may have to babysit for an entire flight?

If you're an adult and you won't move because you just can't separate from your spouse for an hour long flight, how do you think a child feels?

This reminds me of the great bus debates and how able bodied 30 year old men refuse to give their seats to 2 year olds.
I have kids. I am responsible for them. Therefore, I do every thing in my power to sit next to them on a plane where they may need me. I select seats and will even pay for the selection if I must but 99% of the time I can find seats together at the back of the plane for free. I check the seat assignments on a frequent basis, just in case.
Threatening that people will be peed on or vomited on does not make people more sympathic to parents, although vomit can really happen to anyone.
I don't babysit kids that aren't mine. If their parents don't care enough to take care of of making sure they are with their kid then thats not my responsibility and I find earplugs/headset and a tablet work well. I also can sleep just about anywhere.
Your kid= your responsibility. You don't want t take responsibility for your kid don't travel with them

Last edited:

I completely understand why anyone would want to avoid that situation. I do think, however, that that's where parental responsibility comes in with parents knowing their child and what they can/can't handle and what they may or may not do on a plane. If someone has a child that still has accidents or is at the age where it's in the realm of possibility in unfamiliar territory (such as a potty trained pre-school that isn't used to flying), or a child that easily gets motion sickness, is currently ill, or has gotten sick on a plane in the past, then the parent ought to know that their child should be sitting next to them and plan accordingly. Yes, a kid can get randomly sick or have an accident unexpectedly, but I would imagine that in most instances in which kids get sick/have accidents, the parents would have had at least a slight inclination that it was a possibility and should have planned to be sitting next to their child rather than placing the responsibility on a complete stranger to either move or deal with their kid.

I think it's very kind of you to have traded seats to keep families together. I just think that in most cases (with the exception of airline's changing a family's pre-booked seats, cancelled flights, stuff like that), there really should be no need for people to trade seats if people would take responsibility for their own family's needs and prepare accordingly.

Oh, I'm not kind. I weigh the inconvenience of moving as much less than the idea of being trapped with some strange kid for a couple hours. Pure selfishness.

I avoid flying at all cost. The few flights I have been on we have assigned seats when we book. Are there many airlines that do not do this? We are flying Southwest to Orlando in October because they had a non stop flight. We are aware that they do not assign seats but we can pay extra when we get to the airport to board early I believe, and we will do that since we are travelling with a 4 year old and we all want to sit together. I am confused if things have changed with the seating assignments on other airlines.

This entire thread is about those who don't have children or don't care about other people's children, being upset because now children and parents have the opportunity to sit together on a flight?

People don't care if the parents aren't with their children but God forbid if the kid sits next to them and is less than perfect.

So what is it? Do you want the bratty kid with its Mama so you don't have to clean up puke and goldfish crackers or do you want to stay in your seat with the chance you'll have a bratty kid next to you who you may have to babysit for an entire flight?

If you're an adult and you won't move because you just can't separate from your spouse for an hour long flight, how do you think a child feels?

This reminds me of the great bus debates and how able bodied 30 year old men refuse to give their seats to 2 year olds.

I'd rather be cheap than sadistic.

What is it inside of people that makes them think parents should be separated from their children? It doesn't harm you since you should be a functioning adult who can handle being moved one seat over. Is it the only power you have in your day and you intend to use it just because you can?

Not that any of this matters since thankfully parents don't have to pay for this necessary change. I'm happy it was passed and like most things, everyone else will have to move on and find something else to complain about.

And you know the parents who want to sit next to their children?

And it's interesting you don't think @maxiesmom was out of line for calling me (as well as other parents) cheap and yelling first.

But I suppose that would interfere with your bias and need to deflect.

You get so angry about people who don't take care of other people's children, but not at the actual parents who put the kids in the difficult situation? Is this like 'parents are victims' or somesuch?

We are aware that they do not assign seats but we can pay extra when we get to the airport to board early I believe,

If you want Early Bird Check In on Southwest you should purchase it now. It does not get you an assigned seat, it gets you checked in at 36 hours, thus giving you a lower boarding number than people who have not purchased it.

We are aware that they do not assign seats but we can pay extra when we get to the airport to board early I believe, and we will do that since we are travelling with a 4 year old and we all want to sit together.

With a 4 year old on Southwest the 4 year old and two adults can have family boarding which is after the A group and before B group. The only time you can pay extra for early boarding is when there are spaces available to purchase. A boarding has A1-60, so if there are any spaced available before boarding they will sell you to upgrade your boarding. There are not always spaces available. On my last flight A1-A7 was empty so they were announcing they had upgrades available, but this doesn't happen on every flight.

With a 4 year old on Southwest the 4 year old and two adults can have family boarding which is after the A group and before B group. The only time you can pay extra for early boarding is when there are spaces available to purchase. A boarding has A1-60, so if there are any spaced available before boarding they will sell you to upgrade your boarding. There are not always spaces available. On my last flight A1-A7 was empty so they were announcing they had upgrades available, but this doesn't happen on every flight.

Just to clarify, Southwest isn't selling open spots in A1-A60. They sell A1-A15 Business Select boarding spots which you can purchase at the gate if spots are available.

So will I. If the child needs help, I will hit their button for the flight attendant so that they can then get the parent. Not my job to take care of the kid and not my job to be more responsible then the parent. Call me sadistic, I don't care. The opinion of someone who would resort to such name calling isn't anything to give a second thought to.

And I will not give up the seat I picked. I picked it for a reason. A reason that is none of your business and is JUST as important as any reason you have.
So will I. If the child needs help, I will hit their button for the flight attendant so that they can then get the parent. Not my job to take care of the kid and not my job to be more responsible then the parent. Call me sadistic, I don't care. The opinion of someone who would resort to such name calling isn't anything to give a second thought to.

And I will not give up the seat I picked. I picked it for a reason. A reason that is none of your business and is JUST as important as any reason you have.
Well said!!!!

I well gladly switch seats if a parent asked middle is my least favorite that is why I pay for EBCI but if I end up in the middle I have enough entertainment to forget where I am sitting

I find this thread very interesting. I'm flying for the first time to Disney with four small people and it will be their first flight. I plan to bring Kindles and Dramamine and hope for the best. I find it interesting that people still want to get involved in my parenting decisions. If my kid is out of line, I will handle them but if someone decides to handle it for me, I will also handle them. I recognize that this is going to be an exciting trek but I did pay for all those tickets rather than suffer the 26 hour drive and I'm not going to expect my children to be absolutely perfect the whole flight. And if the littlest pukes on a passenger, I will apologize. I have trained him to use a bucket since he was 2 and he usually does pretty well. :cutie:

I find this thread very interesting. I'm flying for the first time to Disney with four small people and it will be their first flight. I plan to bring Kindles and Dramamine and hope for the best. I find it interesting that people still want to get involved in my parenting decisions. If my kid is out of line, I will handle them but if someone decides to handle it for me, I will also handle them. I recognize that this is going to be an exciting trek but I did pay for all those tickets rather than suffer the 26 hour drive and I'm not going to expect my children to be absolutely perfect the whole flight. And if the littlest pukes on a passenger, I will apologize. I have trained him to use a bucket since he was 2 and he usually does pretty well. :cutie:
o_O
The people here are saying that if you can't be bothered to sit next to your child then they can't be bothered to parent your child. If your child pukes, it is your responsibility to take care of it. And a quick "sorry" won't do it. If he cries then you are responsible to console him. But if you are seated in the front of the plane and he is in the back, you might have a hard time doing that.

Last edited:

If a kid pukes on me, I would expect the parents to compensate me for new clothes. I often travel with no carry-on so no change of clothes. Picking up my daughter from camp, I take the first flight out and a late flight back so no extra bags or clothes for me at all, just my purse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter