New Jersyites - Did you feel that?

At first I thought Avalon was a half hour from me.. then I realized that was AVON.... whats with all these beaches with "A"s and "ON"s? hehe! Have an awesome trip guys!!!!!!!!

:cool1:

<----loves Nj

Living in Manhattan for 3 years, New Jersey was what we rode the train through on the way down to visiting my inlaws in DC....

so many highpoints on the journey - the most notable being the billboard in Trenton...

"trenton makes.....the world takes...."....

that's burned into my memory....

Maybe next time there can be some kind of GPS tracking device on the car so we can all monitor Kevin's progress via the internet and we can wave at him as he drives up I-95. It will be like taking a road trip without having to leave our computer chairs!!!!! :surfweb: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Now that would be funny! I will take the southern side....I would have to drive from Indiana but it would be worth it to see the look on Kevin's face and his family! :scared1: as everyone is out in chairs with signs on their route!

When I was a kid, my folks took us to the Jersey Shore for a week every summer. This was my favorite place on earth (untill my first Disney trip).

Some friends of ours own a beach house in the Avalon - Stone Harbor area. They called and let us know that the first two weeks of September were available and that we could have them if we wanted them.

So we said yes. We dont have anything planned but to revisit the places I remember loving as a kid, visiiting with friends and family (John is from NJ) and just hanging out.

In addition, I get to bring my folks back to someplace they loved ( and probably wouldnt have gotten a chance to see again on their own). It's terrific being able to revisit something from the past; seeing whats new and even better, what hasn't changed.

So...as Bob says....thats my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Can you believe I'm quoting Bob? I need to go to the beach.

Kevin

:sick: to much time away from Fl. and Kevin is quoting Bob!

What is the difference in Jersey shore and Flordia beach? I have to Jersey shore since I was in 8th grade, first time away from home on vacation with a friend. Do not remember much :cool2:

Have a fun and safe trip!!

BTW I hope my boys grow up to be as sweet to me as you are to your parents! :hug:

I cant explain it but I have a HUGE preference for the south Jersey shore to any beach in FL. There is nothing like going "down the shore".

I think it has to do with childhood memories. Dont get me wrong. The beaches in FL are great, but my heart belongs to the Jersey shore.

As I said before...we would go on vacation as soon as school got out in June. For our trip, we would each get new white sneakers and a new hooded sweatshirt. So yup...you got it...I bought new sneakers and a new hooded sweatshirt for this trp.

I know it's silly...but it's like a trip back to my childhood. There are HUGE differences this trip. I drove and didnt get to sleep in the back seat. I never once got to ask if "we were there yet?" My folks are much older and it's me bringing them instead them bringing me. The stomach flipping Boardwalk rides dont have the same allure. I now wonder if the Boardwalk food has tran-fat in it an how many carbs are in there. We drive places instead of walking or taking a bike.

But with all of the differences factored in...I feel like we are getting the chance to visit with an earlier version of ourselves. I think we have started every other senetence with "do you remember....". We have laughed ourselves silly and we have only been here a few days.

I dont know if we will get the chance to do this again as life gets in the way. There are too many commitments and pressures. People age. Things change.

But this isnt even about going home again. Home is where "real" life happened. This is about going back to the very best parts of my childhood. The very best vacation mememories live here on the south Jersey shore.

Until I went to Disney World in 1971...and I guess it says something that I ended up living in FL and not NJ.

Someday....maybe we can spend the summer months here and the winter in FL. Oh John..........(ok...now I know I have reached middle age)

Oh and by the way.....if y'all want to track my progress back to FL...get a map of all of the Bojangles Fried Chicken and Biscuits locations along the I-95 South corridor. We just found them on the way up here and are now OBSESSED. The biscuits are KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later kids.
Kevin

There is nothing like going "down the shore".

As I said before...we would go on vacation as soon as school got out in June. For our trip, we would each get new white sneakers and a new hooded sweatshirt. So yup...you got it...I bought new sneakers and a new hooded sweatshirt for this trp.

So true...
We were down the shore last week... I looked at my 3.5 year old son w/his rosy cheeks from a day in the sun, wearing his new sandals and hoodie ready for a night on the boardwalk and thought - there's almost nothing better. Unless you grew up spending summers down the shore, you won't get it.

OK - I've made it!!!!!

Got in yesterday about noon (complete with sinus infection and clogged ears from the cabin pressure changes) and was immediately whisked to AC for some food and gambling.

BIG MISTAKE!!!! When you work from home you sometimes forget about holidays - all the days seem to blurr together - and we didn't think about the Sunday of a 3-day holiday weekend being crowded in AC. Well we didn't get to do much to say the least.

Having grown up in NJ the shore was where we vacationed every summer as kids. We had extended family all over the state and a special aunt who had a house in Long Branch. Every summer was spent with cousins at the shore.

Most of my adult life was spent avoiding the shore during the busiest times. I guess I always hated crowds and living within driving distance just meant being able to come when it was most convenient.

Yesterday, being trapped in traffic and surrounded by throngs of people brought back all those feelings of why I avoided this place during the busiest times. I am really looking forward to the next few weeks when the kids are back in school and the crowds are much lighter.

John

Glad you guys had a safe trip! We can't wait to get you back! Have fun! :banana:

OK - I've made it!!!!!

Got in yesterday about noon (complete with sinus infection and clogged ears from the cabin pressure changes) and was immediately whisked to AC for some food and gambling.

Yesterday, being trapped in traffic and surrounded by throngs of people brought back all those feelings of why I avoided this place during the busiest times. I am really looking forward to the next few weeks when the kids are back in school and the crowds are much lighter.

John

Did you win anything?!
Yes crowd avoiding very important! Always vacation when kids are in school :lmao: Maybe you should ask the podsquad for advise! :rotfl2:

I think it has to do with childhood memories. Dont get me wrong. The beaches in FL are great, but my heart belongs to the Jersey shore.

As I said before...we would go on vacation as soon as school got out in June. For our trip, we would each get new white sneakers and a new hooded sweatshirt. So yup...you got it...I bought new sneakers and a new hooded sweatshirt for this trp.Someday....maybe we can spend the summer months here and the winter in FL. Oh John..........(ok...now I know I have reached middle age)

Oh and by the way.....if y'all want to track my progress back to FL...get a map of all of the Bojangles Fried Chicken and Biscuits locations along the I-95 South corridor. We just found them on the way up here and are now OBSESSED. The biscuits are KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later kids.
Kevin

Ok Kevin you made me tear up! :love: Enjoy your vacation, parents, family and John!
Remember there is no such thing as calories on vacation!

Do I hear a biscuit review coming on? :woohoo:

The weather is BEAUTIFUL.

You could not have picked a better time to come here! The past few days have been incredible and the upcomming forcast looks great. Nothing like the warm sun and the ocean breezes. Enjoy!

You guys weren't kidding about the medical waste were you? I heard some washed up in NJ this weekend closing beaches. I thought of you first thing, I hope it wasn't where you are!

I like the change in season's here in NJ. But thats about it, I would leave in a heartbeat for some place better.
The slogan for NJ should be "The Taxation State".

Kevin has just crossed the border into NJ - did you feel it in the air?

Remember to watch out for the NJ State Bird!!
One almost carried away our dog today.
(It's a mosquito for all you non-jerseyites).
event.png
:teacher:
event.png

We stay home during Jersey week and enjoy the empty state.

Kevin and John, If you get a chance, head over to a restaurant in Sea Isle called Marie's. It is on the bay and is not far from Avalon at all. It has delicious food and a very relaxing atmosphere. If you are in the mood for some tasty cheesesteaks, try Sack O' Subs in Ocean City, MMM MMM! Have a great vacation.

Hi guys! I am glad that you are having such nice weather for your trip. I was at LBI last wekend and I was wondering if you were close! I hope you have a wonderful trip and that you are able to recapture some of the wonderful times from your childhood! Enjoy!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!