New Jersey..New York....Long Island

I'm from SOUTH jersey here. we don't talk exit #'s unless I have to it is #3 on the turnpike and we go to the shore but it really is the beach but we never say beach. we call philly the city and we say hoagies
maria

i live in tinton falls (monmouth county). new jersey is jersey no matter where you are from.:rotfl2:

Long Island here too (Medford) and never heard of the NJ/LI debate. Always say I am from Long Island. :thumbsup2 Only ever hear non New Yorkers say "LawnGuyland" to make fun of the accent. I moved to Florida for about 13 years so when I moved back I was in tune how things were pronounced..no lawnguyland.:lmao:

I guess a lot of people just refer to a bigger recongnizeable areas when saying where they are from. My husband and family say they are from Chicago but none of them live in the city limits....all in the suburbs.

Years ago no one claimed to be from Central Jersey. You were either North (above Trenton) or South (Trenton and below). Then about ohhhhh 30-35 years ago, all of a sudden there was Central Jersey too. Why? I'm not so sure, but I think that people didn't want to be associated with the negativity surrounding some of the cities in the North, but they also didn't want to be called a Piney from the South either.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Don't mind being considered a Piney. There is no trash on the sides of the road, taxes are less, no congestion.

And the beach is so much nicer after Labor Day.:goodvibes

I'm from Jersey, wouldn't say NY!

Long Island here too (Medford) and never heard of the NJ/LI debate. Always say I am from Long Island. :thumbsup2 Only ever hear non New Yorkers say "LawnGuyland" to make fun of the accent. I moved to Florida for about 13 years so when I moved back I was in tune how things were pronounced..no lawnguyland.:lmao:

Whoa! For a minute there I thought you were a friend of mine! She lived in Eagle Estates in Medford and then moved to Port Richey, FL. She still lives in Florida though, so I know you can't be her :goodvibes.

No, I really don't pronounce it that way - but most people assume that's how we all talk, so I figured I'd go with it, LOL. Though I do have family members that seem to add vowels to the end of every word, i.e: shower is showa; water is wata; etc.

LOL, that reminds me of Doc Hassling (I think that's the character's name) on Murder She Wrote. He always talked like that.

And yes, I decided to keep my mouth shut and not to tell MIL that we're going. I still have yet to call to password protect my reservation (if that's even possible, they might think I'm a crazy lady). I was going to take care of it this week, but I had to much other stuff going on so I didn't get around to it.

:thumbsup2! Enjoy your vacation!

Whoa! For a minute there I thought you were a friend of mine! She lived in Eagle Estates in Medford and then moved to Port Richey, FL. She still lives in Florida though, so I know you can't be her :goodvibes.

Unfortunately, I became hooked on disney after I moved back to LI :sad2: I grew up here (w.babylon) and my family was here so after I had my first son, we moved back home. I love that my parents and kids enjoy each other. Loved Florida though and would move back if the right opportunites were there.

Though I do have family members that seem to add vowels to the end of every word, i.e: shower is showa; water is wata; etc.

I'm from NJ and moved to Staten Island where my son now attends pre-K. He recently learned the months of the year, and came home saying...

Sep-tem-bah, Oc-to-bah, No-vem-bah, and De-cem-bah.

But they pronounce my name Donner instead of Donna

Gotta love New York :headache:

I'm from NJ and moved to Staten Island where my son now attends pre-K. He recently learned the months of the year, and came home saying...

Maybe you should take your DS out of that school and move him to another. NOT everyone in SI speaks w/ the vowel (a) at the end of every sentence....

I live on Long Island. When people ask where I live I say- Long Island but came from Queens and didn't move here until 20 years ago when I was in my 20's.

Sounds good to me, I thought that was the right way. :rotfl2:

Sounds good to me, I thought that was the right way. :rotfl2:

Did you explain to them that you have never pulled Santa's sleigh!!
On Donna'r, on Blitz'en

Thanks for the chuckles guys! I was kidding about the "permanent damage" thing in my other post (the story about the months is 100% true) so thanks for realizing that was a tounge in cheek comment.

Apparently JRabbit910 took it a little personally, for which I am sorry...
Changing schools over something like that is silly - I love his teachers and it's super-convenient. I just correct him when he is home and it's all good. I really don't mind SI that much - it is a tad more crowded than I was used to in NJ, and a bit of a culture shock moving from suburbia NJ to the south shore of SI, but for the most part I have good neighbors, a decent commute to work (to NJ - my condolences to any of you that have to travel the VNB in the morning, my husband included) and lower property taxes than I would pay for something similar in NJ - plus right now we have no choice because hubby's job requires we live in 1 of the boroughs and keeping his job is much more important than my nit-picky complaints about SI.

Born and raised in Queens, now live in Long Island (Mineola here!)

Whenever anyone asks where I am from I proudly say Long Island!

Hey neighbor! What part of Medford are you from? I'm right off the LIE in Yaphank, but my mailing address is Medford. It's so silly, the mailman on one side of the block is Yaphank and the other is Medford.

Eagle Estates is right around the corner from me. That's so cool to see someone talk about somewhere you know on here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter