New Jersey..New York....Long Island

cxcelica

DIS Veteran
As an actual New Yorker I can say that one of the longest and funniest ongoing debates is the debate between people from New Jersey and people from Long Island over who is actually more New York. Although I am not quite sure why, its a very passionate debate for many people.

i know the group discussed why many of us NJ residents state we are from New York when asked. I know some people that do this (including my dad) and the reason being alot of us actually are originally from New York. Many people from NYC (Brooklyn, Staten Island and such) have migrated down here in the past 20 years. (as my family did). It is funny because we live about 45 minutes away from Brooklyn but about half the people my parents went to high school with 35 years ago live in central NJ by us. I also think the NY and NJ people have almost united state of mind. NY city does not feel like it is part of another state because it is so close and accessible. But then again NY state is GIGANTIC, and parts of upstate NY can feel like your in a different dimension! :)

:sail:

I am from NJ. I have lived here all of my life and I have NEVER lived in NY. When someone asks where I'm from I say NJ. The Jets and Giants play in the NJ Meadowlands Arena - so why are they called the NY Jets and the NY Giants. They haven't played in NY in years!

I am from NJ. I have lived here all of my life and I have NEVER lived in NY. When someone asks where I'm from I say NJ. The Jets and Giants play in the NJ Meadowlands Arena - so why are they called the NY Jets and the NY Giants. They haven't played in NY in years!

I used to live in East Rutherford and I totally agree!!
:thumbsup2

As an actual New Yorker I can say that one of the longest and funniest ongoing debates is the debate between people from New Jersey and people from Long Island over who is actually more New York. Although I am not quite sure why, its a very passionate debate for many people.
Up until your post I've never heard that before. I barely want to admit being from the Northeast, certainly wouldn't say NY. And this silly thing about NJ and "OH, what exit are you from" how lame is that. Never heard the "what exit you from" bit till I visited Florida several years ago. I live in a suburb of Trenton, and will usually tell people I'm from Trenton, cause most don't know where Ewing Twp is.
I'll start another NJ related debate... What exactly is Central Jersey?
If you look at a map, it's Mercer/Ocean County. No one seems to want to claim North Jersey. popcorn::

We live in Brooklyn and whenever anyone asks us where we're from, DH never says Brooklyn. :confused3 He'll always say NY or NYC, which I think is weird because I'm proud to be from Brooklyn.:thumbsup2

I live in central NJ and I live in Monmouth county. Marlboro.. which is right next to Freehold.. which I believe is right smack in the center of the state.

I live in North Jersey, Pequannock. Lived in Jersey all my life, never did I here about this Long Island NJ thing. This is so weird. You might be talking about Bergen County and Long Island but don't put all NJ in there. BErgen COunty is like the 6th borough of the city but not all Jeresey. I live in NJ, when someone askes me I say NJ not NY.

I live in central NJ and I live in Monmouth county. Marlboro.. which is right next to Freehold.. which I believe is right smack in the center of the state.
Monmouth is still central... But is getting closer to the north. I spend alot of time at Old Bridge Twp Raceway Park.
I was looking for those in Essex to chime in, I have had this discussion before with those in the lovely City of Newark. Like that is Central Jersey.. maybe central gangland...

I live in Edison which is in Middlesex County which to me is Central Jersey since it seems to be in the middle of the map. I too learned about the "what exit are you from," while visiting Florida as I never heard this meant we were from NY/NJ either. When asked I say I'm from NJ but out of staters just seem to think NY and NJ are the same place. When people here my so called "accent" they ask if I'm from NY? I always say..."what accent?" Go figure.......

I live in South Jersey, so when asked where I am from I say, "New Jersey, about 15 minutes across the Delaware River from Philadelphia."

I live in Edison which is in Middlesex County which to me is Central Jersey since it seems to be in the middle of the map. I too learned about the "what exit are you from," while visiting Florida as I never heard this meant we were from NY/NJ either. When asked I say I'm from NJ but out of staters just seem to think NY and NJ are the same place. When people here my so called "accent" they ask if I'm from NY? I always say..."what accent?" Go figure.......

Definitely North Jersey, I-195 is in the middle of the state.
The only pointless - point here is, what people don't want to be considered I guess.

When people ask where I am from, I always say NJ, always have. But then I do go on to say about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes east of NYC.

I live in North Jersey, Pequannock. Lived in Jersey all my life, never did I here about this Long Island NJ thing. This is so weird. You might be talking about Bergen County and Long Island but don't put all NJ in there. BErgen COunty is like the 6th borough of the city but not all Jeresey. I live in NJ, when someone askes me I say NJ not NY.

I live in Passaic County/ Bergen County border. Before I was married I lived in Bergen County and I never heard of this thing either. Even when I lived there I never considered myself a New Yorker, I was and always will be proud to be from NJ.

I'm definitely from NJ (my accent gives me away)....I've never said from NY. I'm from NORTH Jersey....Sussex County....God's country to be exact...that's NORTH Jersey to me! Now my dad has always lived in NJ...Bergen County (Fort Lee), and sounds like he's from NY....mostly because he went to school in the Bronx....so I guess he's an exception. Anyways, I'm a Jersey girl, and Proud of It!:thumbsup2

Now thats the area of North Jersey that is forgotten, there is some very nice open, peaceful land up there. I unfortunately usually think of the cities when thinking of North Jersey. Although living near the capital city is no prize either.

I think its because they started in NY. I remember when I was a kid and they decided to move to the meadowlands, I think it was around the time when every sport wanted its own stadium. The yanks and the mets didn't want to share anymore. ;)
Any way, I was born and raised in Manhattan, then Queens. So now that I live in NJ- I'm one of the guilty ones, when people ask I usually say I'm from NY. My accent gives it away long before I tell them though.

I never heard of the NJ Long Island thing either. I was born in NYC, lower east side. When I was 8 we moved to Brooklyn, lived there for 30 years. When I got married we moved to Rockland County, NY, the lower hudson valley region. The funny thing is now that I live in Rockland, I don't like a true New Yorker. There's something about living within the 5 boroughs.:confused3. I still sound I'm from Brooklyn tho.

And here I thought that everyone from Long Island (or Lon-Guylan) stated where they were from by the exit number off the Highway

Doesn't anyone say "The City" anymore.

Even though I live in Florida now, I'm from The City--meaning Manhattan, not the Outer Boroughs or NJ, or CT.

FWIW.......................

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!