New house.....help!!!!!( should the red wall stay or go?)

sajetto

Wedding Pavilion Bride 2007
Okay, so we bought a new house last week and I need some help from the pros.

When we walked in we loved the downstairs, especially the stylish decor. It's pretty, but the walls are so scuffed everything has to be repainted. It's a very small home so we don't want to pick colors to make it look any smaller.

The original owners painted all the walls in the living room cream except one and its RED. My DF loooooves the wall and doesn't want it going anywhere. I have to admit I'm a little attached to it to, but when we repaint should we paint over it with a neutral color for resale purposes? :confused3

If you like the red keep it. We don't have any white walls anywhere in our house. I don't think color on the walls make rooms look smaller. Our livingroom was white when we moved in and we painted it a deep taupey color and the room looks a lot bigger. As for resale, a freshly painted wall with some color will sell much better then a plain white wall in my opinion. Paint is cheep and easy to fix.

I agree that if you both like the color keep it. You see a lot of rooms being done that way now a days. I am one that does not like white walls, seems too cold.

Is it going to go with what you are going to put in the room? You don't want your furniture to clash with the color.

If you plan on selling/moving again anytime soon than I would probably paint it a neutral color, you don't want to have to paint anymore than you have to.

Congratulations on your new house and have fun decorating.

Cthia said:
Is it going to go with what you are going to put in the room? You don't want your furniture to clash with the color.

That's what I was worried about. My couches and ottoman are all a deep red, but I have tan slip covers that can go over them so that it isn't so much red in one room.

We've got our work cut out for us. We've got to pick paint for all rooms of the house (2 kids rooms one was done in pink and the other blue with hideous wallpaper, the upstairs bath which someone had the bright idea to paint lime green OVER wallpaper, the kitchen (old wallpaper has to come down), the master bath, bedroom, foyer, and living room.

I have NO CLUE about decorating so I need a lot of help.

I love redecorating and choosing paint colors so if you live nearby, call me :wave:

One bit of experienced advice - take your time redoing the house (if you have it) so you have it done the way you want it. If you like the red wall, and arent' planning on reselling soon, keep it. Why not?

We've got time I guess we are just rushing b/c we want it over with before we have to move everything away from the walls all over again to paint.

We are in NC. Last night we were in lowes for an hour! We must have picked up 50 paint chips and looked at them until 10 last night. It seems like most of the stuff we like are tans, golds, and greens (how boring are we?!?)

My boyfriend recently bought a house and it had one deep red it was kinda more maroonish red wall and the rest of the room was a tan/cream color. It was like that when we saw it so it sold like that!

He has brown leather furniture and he's bought a red rug to tie in the red wall. It looks fine.

I have red in my dining room (I just posted pics in the pic sticky) and I love it.

I get compliments on it from my neighbors, because they can see it through my blinds at night!

azgal81...Your bf doesn't live in NC does he? :rotfl: We sold our house recently to a single guy ;) and with the cathedral ceilings, most of our walls were a taupe. Before showing the house to sell it, I did paint 2 of the walls a red/maroonish color and absolutely fell in love with it! It made a huge difference in the house! Now, we will be doing the same thing in our new house that we're building! :teeth: Red is here to stay!

disneyfan551 said:
azgal81...Your bf doesn't live in NC does he? :rotfl: We sold our house recently to a single guy ;) and with the cathedral ceilings, most of our walls were a taupe. Before showing the house to sell it, I did paint 2 of the walls a red/maroonish color and absolutely fell in love with it! It made a huge difference in the house! Now, we will be doing the same thing in our new house that we're building! :teeth: Red is here to stay!

Nope Arizona! I guess the one red wall thing is popular everywhere!

If you just bought this house why are you already concerned with resale value? Walls have to be repainted every few years anyway so decorate to your own taste and if you should need to sell in the future you can deal with it then.

HunnyPots said:
If you just bought this house why are you already concerned with resale value? Walls have to be repainted every few years anyway so decorate to your own taste and if you should need to sell in the future you can deal with it then.

I guess I'm a little different than others. We won't be living here any longer than 2-3 years MAX. My sis is the same way, she moves every 2. We get bored easily. :confused3

I wouldn't worry about resale even if you will only be there for 2-3 years. It has to feel like home to you while you are there.

If the red works with your style - keep it or change it. My new neighbors moved into what the old neighbor had changed from off-white, to green ragged, to brilliant burgandy red at her whim. They lived with the red for about a year and now the walls have a brown glaze over the burgandy on the top half with chair rail trim dividing the two colors and it looks great with their living room furniture.

-Laurie

HunnyPots said:

Everything I do, has resale value in the back of my mind.

The downside of being a realtor, I guess. :rolleyes:

Am_I_There_Yet said:
Everything I do, has resale value in the back of my mind.

The downside of being a realtor, I guess. :rolleyes:

I'm the same way. We buy and resell foreclosures for income so it's always a top priority in our minds. This is our first home that we bought at market value to actually LIVE in for more than a few months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts