New here with so many questions...

April L Shackleford

Arura Tonks
Hi. Planning a trip in spring. Most of my questions will be geared toward Animal Kingdom. I would like to know for a family of 4 with tweens is it possible to schedule kilimijari safari first thing in morning or rope drop it, get to Tuskers for a 9:55 reservation, If conservation is open again we really want to head back there as well. I have a possible future veterinarian eager and hopeful to see this...and catch Then Lion King Show by noon?

Also..For staying on property How likely are FP+ for Flight of Passage in the evening time before the river of light show? What would be a good goal to try to score a fp+ for FoP evening time .like a good time to book it and still make it to River of Light for the reserved package seating? The middle of the day would be a more laid back approach to what we will decide to do...although hope for Everest Exp. And Kali River rides as well. Things not as important are Dinoland and Navi River Journey..but if we can get to them would be cool. Oh..also the We have seen amazing bird shows so no plans foe that either.
I guess that's it for now. I can ask questions about other things later. Thanks. Oh no EMH on the day we are going.

Hi there and welcome!
is this your first trip to Disney World?
Are you just doing Animal Kingdom Park?
How many days are you going?
What 'onsite hotel are you staying at?
Have you used the 'new' fastpass system?

My last trip to Disney was in the early 1990s and I was a kid. It was one day at magic kingdom. I also went to Epcot in the 80's when I was so little that I can not remember it at all) So not " my" first, but it's my families first time (spouse and kids) and my first time as a parent. We are only going to be there two days (well 4..but check in and check out day I am not counting). One day at Magic Kingdom. I will be meeting a cousin there though who is really into disney though for our magic kingdom day so he knows how to plan for all of that. He goes several times a year! I have asked his advise and gotten some good tips, but he is pretty busy and I don't want to bother him too often. I am not real comfortable sharing the exact dates nor the exact hotel...but it's one of the more affordable disney properties that we will be staying at. We are also heading over to Universal/Islands...actually that was the original plan...but I kept thinking...we are going to be much to close to disney to not go... I would so regret it if we did not try to do it....so we squeezed a couple of days in to make a different type of "magic" happen. :genie:

I would get a Disney travel agent to help you. You do not have to share hotel details. But I would personally say at art of animation over any of the value properties.Caribbean and Colorado springs Disney are still in construction. You can get the fastpass advantage at some 'offsite hotels'
I live in Australia
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en-eu/fastpass-plus/

ps. You can also rent dvc points to stay at some of the more expensive hotels for less https://www.dvcrequest.com/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/#/animal-encounters-events/
I have not used this https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/magical-express/ Four Seasons is not Disney

https://www.universalstudioshollywo...ractions/the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/

Last edited:

If you plan to spend all day at Animal Kingdom you will probably want to schedule your FP+ earlier in the day. If you are going during Spring Break the crowds can be quite large so wait times build quick. There is no need to have a FP for the Safari if you will be there during or near rope drop, everyone is running to Pandora at that time.
It will be hard to get a morning FP for FOP, but get as early as possible and make sure to schedule 2 other FP as well. Once you have used your first 3 FP you can book book an additional one.
For Tusker House I would say you will probably be there about 60-90 min (closer to 90). The Safari takes about 20 minutes and is pretty close to Tusker House.
The tweens may like Dinosuar the ride, it is not a coaster but still fun with the effects.

Your plan sounds doable but pretty tight from our experience, probably more making the Lion King than the Tusker House res, depending on how long you linger over your meal. I was able to get same day FP for Expedition and Dinosaur when we were there in Feb 2018 but FoP never opened up. It was much newer then but still looks pretty tough to get!

I guess I better prepare my kids and hubby for the possibility of not being able to do FoP. We do have a wonderful agent. I just want to feel out what to expect without bugging her all the time. Lol...It is also great hearing your experiences. Are we going to be forced to do Navi River if we cannot get FoP FP? Since they are both tier 1? Because really no one in my family wants to ride that one? We would rather trade it for a FP to The Lion King and maybe get better seats if we can't get FoP. Also..no...we will not be there during spring break. We are going in May, mid week. . . It's not expected to be too busy. Whatever that means in disney terms?

We were just at Animal Kingdom a few weeks ago. You should be able to get a Flight of Passage fastpass at 60 days out for the late afternoon, there was pretty decent availability when I did mine, but you gotta be up and on the site at 7:00 AM.

Do you know if your Rivers of Light package is for the first or second showing? We did it for the 7:00 showing and they said to be there 30-15 minutes before the show started. Right around 6:55, they filled up the section with stand by guests.

If you can't get a FoP FP, the best way to ride it is to either rope drop it (if you're near the front of the pack, you should be able to be on and off and still make it to Tusker House), or get in line 30ish minutes before the park closes and once the FP line closes the standby line will go much faster.

If I were you, I would plan my day something like this:

9:00 - Rope drop Kilimanjaro Safaris
9:55 - Tusker House
10:45-11:45 FP Kali river (aiming to arrive near the end of this window so you can go straight to EE after)
11:45-12:45 FP Everest
12:45 - FOTLK theater for 1:00 show
if you aim for a 3:00 or 4:00ish FoP FP, you can have time here for conservation station or the gorilla walk and lunch
3:30-4:30 FoP FP
should be able to pick up a 4th FP here for Dinosaur or Primeval Whirl with time to get to Rivers of Light by 6:45. The dining package entrance is close to Dinoland, so it would make sense to be in that area anyway.

If that FoP time isn't available, I would get any FoP time they have and constantly try to modify it. If there are no FoP FP's available, grab a Navi river journey and keep trying to modify it. FP's are released all the time, either by Disney or by other guests changing their plans, so the FP's you see one day are not all there are.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Yes. I figure if we can get the FoP I won't be picky about the time frame! And we can figure more out around it. I believe there will only be one showing for RoL when we go.. . very close to park closing time. I am getting so excited! :yay:

We've taken five short trips (3-4 park days) to Disney since Pandora opened in 2017 and have NEVER gotten a FP to FoP. We just decided to wait in line one day. The kids loved it. I closed my eyes 99% of the time.

I was able to get FOP FP's after 4 pm for a few nights on my last trip in October. For my upcoming trip April 20-27, I saw a lot of FP for FOP from 3:55-6pm. If you are traveling around this time, I think you may be able to find the time you are looking for. Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter