New here & I'm scared I've made a mistake!

Ohpair

Earning My Ears
hello all,
This is my first post here so please be gentle with me.
Me (26) DH (27) & DD (2 1/2) will be going to DLP for our first time in June. Please can someone reassure me I've not made a terrible mistake!!.
I've been to Florida several times before & the last time I went was Sept 11th 2001 (taking DH for the first time, DD wasn't around then) We both LOVE Disney. I think we've brain washed our DD & she asks to look at photos daily & talks about Mickey mouse all the time.

Now my problem........ I went to DLP when I was 14 or 15 - some 10+ years ago with the school (I was on a French exchange), It was the WORST experience of my life!! The whole French exchange was. I stayed with an awful family, They beat their children with whips, made me eat the most awful food (cows toung being the most memorable but there were others). I was woken one night by the father who stood over me while I was in bed - nothing happened but it was VERY scary & just all in all it was not a good experience.
As for DLP all I remember of it was going round & round big thunder mountain I think we also went on the haunted mansion & that was it! - it was really naff (I'm not a coaster fan so its not that) just there didn't seem much there.

Now life goes on, I'm happily married with the most gorgeous daughter (she's a child model so I can say that). I'm a stay at home mum so we are not as flush as we once were - we decided we needed a Disney fix but couldn't afford Florida. So have booked DLP for June.

Were my past experiences just bad luck? Have things improved in the parks? I know there is another park and we are a few years on so I'm praying things are better there. Also is it child friendly? I know Florida is, but this is France we are talking about.....

Anyone have any positive words for me....please say I've not made a huge mistake.
Thanks if you've got this far - I didn't expect it to turn out this long!!!!

Katy

I don't like thrill rides so that rules out Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Thunder Mountain and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - however, we are going bck this summer for our 5th time in 3 years, make of that what you will!

The parks have come on a long way over the years and they have added stuff constantly - you also have Disney Studios now too with some awesome attractions like Moteurs Action, Studio Tram Tour, Animagique and Cinemagique. I always liked Haunted Mansion but it had an overhaul around the time of the film and it's even better now.

As for being kid friendly, we dont have kids but it seemd to be - not sure why the French wouldn't be I've always found them to be perfectly normal people.

I think if you go with the intention to enjoy yourself you'll do just that - forget past experiences and look on this as your first visit to Disneyland Resort Paris.

Hi, Katy, welcome to these boards. :disrocks: Please don't be frightened to ask anything, everyone here is really friendly and helpful! :grouphug:

We haven't been to DLP yet as we wanted to go to WDW first. After going to Florida last year and finding that WDW did live up to all our expectations, we have now booked our 1st DLP visit for August and already booked our 2nd for Christmas!

I have found everyone on this board very helpful when planning our trips and the understanding that I have is you mustn't go to DLP expecting it to be the same as WDW. Apparently it has a lovely European feel to it, and is actually much prettier than WDW. I think if you go with an open mind and a positive attitude, you will have a wonderful time. It is Disney, after all!

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience on your French exchange. My eldest DD (12) could have gone on one this spring but she didn't want to go. Phew!!!:eek: Like dlpSteve said, the parks have come on a long way since then.....Rome wasn't built in a day etc, etc!!! As to it being child friendly, I think France is very family orientated, I think it is only Britain who still thinks children should be seen and not heard! :rotfl2:

To echo dlpSteve, just forget your last trip and look on this as your first Disney family holiday, and enjoy the planning!

Hi and welcome to the board. Just to reiterate what has already been said. After 6 trips to WDW we tried DLP for the first time last April and went back twice more last year and have another trip booked for later this year so I think that speaks for itself. We adore WDW but also love DLP - it's different but just as good, as Elaine said. You'll have a great time and your DD will adore it. :sunny:

Hi

We are DVC members are off to to DLP again in October for half term. (was in WDW in October and going again in May! but can't go six months without Disney) If you can't get to WDW I would recommend DLP for your interim Disney fix. This will be our third time and will use our DVC points.

I think that exchanges should be banned. It is really strange that we would let our children stay with complete strangers. We as adults would think very hard about it. I am surprised that this out of date practice still goes on. My niece is currently in Italy on an exchange and is frequently phoning my sister in tears. Having said that I hope my DD will not want to go on one!!! DLP is magical and if you can stay on site.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time.

Susan

I too had an awful experience (though not as bad as yours!) on a French Exchange due to the family I was placed with. I went again the year after with a different family and had a great time and it did my French (and my view of the world) a world of good.

I went to DLP for the first time last February having only been to WDW previously and I was worried it would not have the same "magic" WDW has.

We found this to not be the case. We loved DLP and the fact that everything is within walking distance is a huge plus. The CMs were great, the food (generally :rolleyes: ) good, and the whole experience excellent. There were the sights, sounds, smells we associate with Disney everywhere.

We are going back next February. I wouldn't say it's as broad an experience as WDW (how can it be with only 2 parks?) but for a short break we loved it. It "Disneyed" us up again before our next WDW trip!

Do you think it would get you more in the mood to read about it? If so I really like Simon Veness' A Brit's Guide to Disneyland Paris - it has lots of tips, great photos and all round description of the parks, eateries, hotels, shops etc. Reading about it (and of course being on the Dis) heightens my excitement!

HTH

Karen

Hi Ohpair :wave:

Although I understand your anxiety, try to remember that this situation is different from your previous experience - you're going with your family and you get to "call the shots" as to what you do. I'm sure your daughter will absolutely love it and you'll get to introduce her to her first real taste of Disney. If it helps you feel more prepared, ask any questions that come to mind - someone will be able to answer them!!

Rhiannon :wizard:

Welcome to the boards.
Have never been to WDW but enjoy DLRP.
I'm sure you will have a lovely time.
Remember the planning is part of the fun ;)

Reid

What an awful experience you had!! It sounds as though the whole family needed a healthy dose of Pixie Dust!

I think you will enjoy the parks far more now than you did before. You won't have all the unhappy associations to contend with and as someone else said, you will be calling the shots and deciding what you go on.

Definitely avoid Big Thunder Mountain and Indiana Jones - I only braved the Indiana Jones ride the once and regretted it. Like you I'm not a coaster fan. I think you'd really love the Pirates of the Caribbean ride though. There are a couple of sudden drops that catch your breath but the whole ride is wonderful - I can heartily recommend it. And there is so much else to see that even if you miss out on the BIG rides you don't have time to be bored.

That also leaves the Parade. Don't miss that whatever you do.

Hi Katy! :wave2:

I am sorry to read about your past experience.
The good thing is that lots of things has changed on DLP property since your last visit.
There are more things to do all over the resort now. :earsboy:

With 2 theme parks, Disney Village being improved over the years and more recreation activities are avalible on the Disney Resorts, there's plenty to fill a vacation with fun stuff for the whole family. :banana:

I would also like to recommend A Brit's Guide to DLP! :thewave:

Have fun planning your upcoming DLP trip! :wave2:

thankyou so much everyone - you've really made me feel welcome! :) . I have Simons book, infact I have all of Simons books! :rolleyes2 but I still have loads of questions - so watch this space.

Thanks again
Katy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter