New Future Disneyland Hotel

And the issues between the Anaheim City Council and Disney continue...

Between the gas issue and now this delay I wonder how long they just leave the vacant buildings sitting there.

Will it be like River Country and Discovery Island west coast?

I just read that!

What has happened to the Carousel Inn? Is it closed? Is it demolished? Any news on what
will happen there since the pedestrian bridge isn't happening?

What happened to the Disneyland 4 diamond hotel that was supposed to be built to the
west of Disneyland? Did the resort that's mentioned in this thread (near Disneyland Hotel
and DTD) take the place of that proposed 4 diamond hotel? (I found the answer in this thread.)

I wish there was a Sunday night Disneyland podcast hosted by 5 crazy DISers who know
their stuff.

Last edited:
Disney reminds me of a professional sports team that makes a ton of money yet comes to the city with its hand out. Disney made 9 billion in profit last year. I think they can pay for their own hotel.

Its the City Council trying to stick it to Disney. Their relationship like you said has been worse and worse over the last couple years. Anaheim needs Disneyland though as its the biggest revenue maker in that city and drives their tourism.

Curious to know what the majority of the citizens of Anaheim actually think of Disneyland? Love the money coming in, but hate the traffic/tourists?
If a majority is in favor of Disneyland that could mean voting people out. Perhaps that's what's needed to resolve this resort issue (and any future issues caused by the city council).

Disney reminds me of a professional sports team that makes a ton of money yet comes to the city with its hand out. Disney made 9 billion in profit last year. I think they can pay for their own hotel.

The Disneyland RESORT did NOT make $9B last year. Disney as a whole did. The resorts are a SMALL part of the grand scheme of things. Honestly, I'd like to see Disney just buy out Harbor to the 5, and Katella to Ball all the way to Euclid. No more arguing, no more fussing... Just make stuff happen and build what you want. I say this as a shareholder who wouldn't mind a momentary dip in my share price or no dividend...

anaheim is filled with four star business hotels. what they want is to have them near both disneyland and the convention center since that area is full of older hotels. they don't need the accomodations and frankly from what i have read the anaheim convention center is pretty busy that is why they were adding on so they could hold even larger conventions and expos. actually the conventions are part of the reason that disneyland resort seems to be always busy. I was there in January and was surprised at how busy it was

Disney didn't demand or suggest this 4 diamond hotel/subsidies situation. Whether the original city council wanted Disney to be included in these subsidies is unknown to me. Perhaps the city council forgot to put in tiny letters "this doesn't mean you Disney".

RE: "hand out"

The city of Anaheim had their hands out asking for 4 diamond hotels and were willing to have subsidies so that they could bring in more convention dollars.

anaheim is filled with four star business hotels.
Actually, It isn't. The only 4 Diamonds (the requirement is to be rated by AAA at a 4 or higher) in Anaheim are the Grand Californian and the DLH. The Hilton and Marriott are both rated a 3. There are no 5s. The next closest 4 is in Costa Mesa.

hey don't need the accomodations and frankly from what i have read the anaheim convention center is pretty busy that is why they were adding on so they could hold even larger conventions and expos. actually the conventions are part of the reason that disneyland resort seems to be always busy. I was there in January and was surprised at how busy it was
Not sure what you are reading, but one issue they have is they can't draw the conventions that will pay the big bucks. They get a lot of the small conventions. They get the teen conventions. Look at the Anaheim Hilton, which is located at the convention center. It is rarely sold out. I have shown up as a non-convention guest, and been upgraded to the presidential suite. That doesn't happen in "convention" towns. And the conventions generally do not make Disneyland busy. Except when it is the teen conventions. You have the Dance squads, cheer squads, karate tournaments that will impact the park. The dentist, nursing, and church conventions don't normally add to the crowds at Disneyland.

Last edited:
the marriot was 4 when i stayed there and there was a sheraton besides the hilton. and i cant remember the hotel right next to the convention center but it was 4 star as well. this isn't diamond ratings it's stars and that is from a different company i believe. and both the grand californian and DLH nearly lost a diamond recently

the marriot was 4 when i stayed there and there was a sheraton besides the hilton. and i cant remember the hotel right next to the convention center but it was 4 star as well. this isn't diamond ratings it's stars and that is from a different company i believe. and both the grand californian and DLH nearly lost a diamond recently
If you read the requirements from Anaheim city council, it is hotels must be rated a 4 Diamond by AAA. (The name of the program is the Four Diamond Hotel Incentive Program.) The Marriott is not rated a 4 by AAA. While many of us here have been saying 4 stars, we are just using stars because it is what most are used to saying. The reality is the requirement is 4 diamonds by AAA. Most ratings are clarified by AAA and not Expedia or Trip Advisor. Anaheim Marriott and Hilton have not been rated a 4 in many, many years.

To clarify further, the Raddison Blu was also looking to build a hotel, and it was said "described the hotel as one that aspires to a 4-diamond rating from AAA, but certainly will be 4-star. "

Last edited:
this isn't diamond ratings it's stars and that is from a different company i believe.
Just to be perfectly clear, the name of the program is "Four Diamond Hotel Incentive Program".
both the grand californian and DLH nearly lost a diamond recently
And if they had, there would have been NO 4 diamonds in Anaheim. It is sort of apparent you don't care for the Disney hotels, which is fine. I could see where the DLH could have lost a diamond (I think they did prior to the refurb, but got it back after) but I don't think the Grand was ever in a position to lose a diamond.

When they are done rebuilding the Anabella, it’s also supposed to be a 4-diamond hotel. I’ve only stayed there once, in 2014. It was a little musty, and was in need of a redo, (IMO) but I didn’t mind it... apparently the new hotel in its place will be a Westin luxury hotel. So, at least by what I’ve read, that one is still moving forward and should be a nice option when it is finished. :) :upsidedow

When they are done rebuilding the Anabella, it’s also supposed to be a 4-diamond hotel. I’ve only stayed there once, in 2014. It was a little musty, and was in need of a redo, (IMO) but I didn’t mind it... apparently the new hotel in its place will be a Westin luxury hotel. So, at least by what I’ve read, that one is still moving forward and should be a nice option when it is finished. :) :upsidedow
It is also on hold now. While we keep discussing the DLR issue, people tend to skip over the 2 other hotels that went on hold. The Anabella has been razed and is a dirt field.

Curious to know what the majority of the citizens of Anaheim actually think of Disneyland? Love the money coming in, but hate the traffic/tourists?
If a majority is in favor of Disneyland that could mean voting people out. Perhaps that's what's needed to resolve this resort issue (and any future issues caused by the city council).

As a former resident of Fullerton, I can tell you that many Anaheim residents hate Disney's guts. Disney is viewed as a greedy corporation that causes a ton of traffic in the area and a lot of noise every night. Not everyone feels this way but a large portion do. The residents who live further away from Disney tend not to dislike them as much.

It is also on hold now. While we keep discussing the DLR issue, people tend to skip over the 2 other hotels that went on hold. The Anabella has been razed and is a dirt field.

Aww, really? I hadn’t heard anything about that one, I just thought it was still progressing. Sheesh, it sounds like it’s gonna be kind of a mess all around there for a while, esp when Star Wars opens and there’s no extra room for anyone to go...

I can tell you that many Anaheim residents hate Disney's guts. Disney is viewed as a greedy corporation that causes a ton of traffic in the area and a lot of noise every night.

While I can understand their frustration that is kinda like moving next to an airport that has been there for decades and complaining about airport noise. Even if there are now more flights today then there were a decade ago...you still CHOOSE to live next to that airport that was there long before you were.

I have zero sympathy.

While I can understand their frustration that is kinda like moving next to an airport that has been there for decades and complaining about airport noise. Even if there are now more flights today then there were a decade ago...you still CHOOSE to live next to that airport that was there long before you were.

I have zero sympathy.
This. Exactly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter