People who CAN'T. But whatever.
What condition prevents someone from getting up at a certain time?

My father in-law has suffered from a mild form of sundowner’s syndrome for several years. That is tied directly to the sunset. I am aware that there is a corresponding sunriser’s syndrome but that is not tied directly to any specific time of the day, but rather follows a person waking up from any sleep.

What condition prevents someone from getting up at a certain time?

My father in-law has suffered from a mild form of sundowner’s syndrome for several years. That is tied directly to the sunset. I am aware that there is a corresponding sunriser’s syndrome but that is not tied directly to any specific time of the day, but rather follows a person waking up from any sleep.

So predictable and not worth it.

People here saying boarding groups is only answer for the ride while it's unreliable. This might be true but there is no reason these can't be booked 60 days out for onsite guest.

People here saying boarding groups is only answer for the ride while it's unreliable. This might be true but there is no reason these can't be booked 60 days out for onsite guest.
Wouldn’t those just be FP with a different name?
Disney adjusts the number of BG each day based on how the ride is running and how many (if any) recovery FP were distributed the previous day. They can’t predict that 60 days in advance.

I'm an adult without children, so no authority here at all re challenges of early morning boarding groups. I'm for it esp since I love early mornings and only have myself to take care of. However, when I read through some of the above posts, it immediately brought to mind children on the spectrum, autism and ADD. Years ago, I took a pre-teen niece with ADD to WDW and 'regular' early 7am wake ups were enough of a struggle. I can't imagine trying to get her to HS for 6am. She desperately needed every hour of sleep she could get. But trying to make a 13 yr old go to sleep before 9pm to cache extra hours was not happening. Of course, every child and every family is unique and may have developed their own strategies. I offer this only as an example of the difficulties another poster flagged.

Re FP+ at runaway railway, I'm sure I saw a dedicated FP+ entrance in some of the video coverage posted this past month. Before someone asks where I saw it, I really can't remember which outlet. It may have been on the vlog that can't be named. Being video, I thought it credible. I could have mixed it up with something else but don't think so.

People who CAN'T. But whatever.

I don’t see how distributing smaller amounts of boarding groups randomly throughout the day (which you seem to support based on responses) could possibly be better or more accommodating for more people.

There are also be people with medical needs who can’t be out in a park all day waiting for random boarding groups to be slowly released in much smaller quantities. There are many, many special needs and medically impacted people who can’t do that either and they would have virtually no chance based on how limited the quantities would be at each drop and how many people are in the park during the peak parts of the day.

Last edited:
If WDW learned anything in the past 5 years, they've learned people will pay alot extra to enjoy the parks with less stress and make things easier and more pleasant for their family.

5 years ago people added maybe a dessert party ($29) or party ticket ($80) to a trip. Today people are adding a bunch of them to a trip even though cost increased 2 or 3 times since 2015 (dessert party $99 or party ticket $150). It seems guests can't get enough of these and love being able to 'buy an advantage'. EMMs and DAHs have also become very popular.

FP upgrade is tricky though. They can't alienate other park goers by making the ride line experience notably harder than it is already. This is probably what has kept WDW from rolling it out and what will keep them from offering 3 extra FPs to more than just CL. But... with more rides on the horizon, the parks could accommodate a paid 4th FP per guest. I can see it only being offered in a package such as 4+ night stay onsite, $25 per person/day and need to buy for everyone in room. To ease the backlash from offsite and day visitors, they'll leave the key new rides out of the FP system. New rides are a huge enticement to draw visits so they'll need those rides to remain a level playing field.

tldr: I expect a paid 4th FP upgrade, along with virtual queue systems being utilized as new e-ticket rides roll out. We may even see HS offer a choice of BG in March where guests have to choose between RoR and MMRR. WDW won't mind guests feeling like they need more than 1 day in a park. Helps sell those hoppers too!

I have been thinking about ROTR and Boarding Groups and MMRR and so on.
I am unhappy, but, only because it doesn't fit with what wold make me feel less anxious! So, that's not really valid to the whole population trying to ride these rides.
I have been trying to think about it objectively.
I would prefer FP, because I am on site, and I can try sooner.
BUT, is that the MOST fair option? I mean for the newest, most in demand rides?
I am not sure. I mean, it's a good idea to have perks for being on site, because it certainly costs a LOT more.
Are first thing in the morning BGs the most fair? I think, it's not a bad way of doing it, if you REALLY want to ride, then you'll get up early enough. And that's a pretty level playing field? Especially with the uncertainty and unreliability around capacity etc.
I have tried to think of a disability that would be unduly impacted negatively by the early morning first come first served thing, and I am not sure. I admit there is bound to be something I haven't considered, but, my autistic son would get up if he really wanted to experience it, he might then struggle if he didn't get to ride that day, but, that is what it is I guess, for now.
Personally, I don't want to get up that early on vacation, the whole point of being on vacation is not to have to do that, but that is my choice, so I do not envisage riding ROTR - but IF I were a huge SW fan, I would probably get up for it.
I really DO want to ride MMRR, but, I will make a decision on FP day, if Fps become available, then I would try to get one, if not, then, I would just have a look at standby times on the day.
I can't really see a fairer way of doing BGs

I have been thinking about ROTR and Boarding Groups and MMRR and so on.
I am unhappy, but, only because it doesn't fit with what wold make me feel less anxious! So, that's not really valid to the whole population trying to ride these rides.
I have been trying to think about it objectively.
I would prefer FP, because I am on site, and I can try sooner.
BUT, is that the MOST fair option? I mean for the newest, most in demand rides?
I am not sure. I mean, it's a good idea to have perks for being on site, because it certainly costs a LOT more.
Are first thing in the morning BGs the most fair? I think, it's not a bad way of doing it, if you REALLY want to ride, then you'll get up early enough. And that's a pretty level playing field? Especially with the uncertainty and unreliability around capacity etc.
I have tried to think of a disability that would be unduly impacted negatively by the early morning first come first served thing, and I am not sure. I admit there is bound to be something I haven't considered, but, my autistic son would get up if he really wanted to experience it, he might then struggle if he didn't get to ride that day, but, that is what it is I guess, for now.
Personally, I don't want to get up that early on vacation, the whole point of being on vacation is not to have to do that, but that is my choice, so I do not envisage riding ROTR - but IF I were a huge SW fan, I would probably get up for it.
I really DO want to ride MMRR, but, I will make a decision on FP day, if Fps become available, then I would try to get one, if not, then, I would just have a look at standby times on the day.
I can't really see a fairer way of doing BGs
And while I understand the time issue that some can't or don't want to get there before 7am, this aspect isn't different than other WDW experiences.
Ticket parties go to midnight which isn't ideal for everyone and they leave early. Fireworks at 10pm lock other people out at times. EMM tickets and even amEMHs start way earlier than most people prefer, but they deal with it when it's something that interests them.

Nobody has offered a better alternative.

And while I understand the time issue that some can't or don't want to get there before 7am, this aspect isn't different than other WDW experiences.
Ticket parties go to midnight which isn't ideal for everyone and they leave early. Fireworks at 10pm lock other people out at times. EMM tickets and even amEMHs start way earlier than most people prefer, but they deal with it when it's something that interests them.

Nobody has offered a better alternative.
Also true! I have booked a tour that starts at 8am. I will get up for that, because it is something I *really* want to do. It didn't occur to me that they should offer this tour later because I prefer to get up later on vacation. I have also booked a late night event. I *might* stay til the end, but, if I am flagging, I won't. it's a vacation, so, relaxing is important.
I DO want to stay long enough for fireworks this time, when I came with young children, they couldn't make it, so, that's important to me on my solo trip.
It's ALL about personal value and preference.

Wouldn’t those just be FP with a different name?
Disney adjusts the number of BG each day based on how the ride is running and how many (if any) recovery FP were distributed the previous day. They can’t predict that 60 days in advance.
most days are getting well into 100s of board group. You could issue 80 boarding groups before the park day and then fill the rest on the day

This is a funny comment in a conversation about fairness.

I'd like it. I'm an onsite guest with a 10+ night stay coming up. But wow, talk about unfair to anybody who isn't like you or me.

This is a funny comment in a conversation about fairness.

I'd like it. I'm an onsite guest with a 10+ night stay coming up. But wow, talk about unfair to anybody who isn't like you or me.
If this was a free concert or event then yes the fair way to do it would be boarding group at Park opening so everyone has equal chance. But this is a payed place. People spending more money to the owners should have more advantages or why give the owner more cash. They will see a drop in hotel guest if they don't keep giving guest a advantage

I would think it would remain Tier 1 through the Test Track refurb and the Ratatouille opening. Then it will probably be Tier 2.
I was thinking about this. They will likely close SE when TT comes back up or when Ratatouille opens (though I would prefer after summer). It seems that Soarin' could become a Tier2 when SE closes, or when SE comes back online or Guardians opens. The more Tier 1 rides they have the more reason they'll have to push Soarin' to a Tier2. SE is currently a Tier 2, but when it reopens it will be popular for a while as everyone wants to see what changed, so it will need to be a Tier1 for a period of time.

Re FP+ at runaway railway, I'm sure I saw a dedicated FP+ entrance in some of the video coverage posted this past month. Before someone asks where I saw it, I really can't remember which outlet. It may have been on the vlog that can't be named. Being video, I thought it credible. I could have mixed it up with something else but don't think so.
I have seen pictures too, on several sites, of the FP and Standby entrance. FP for Mikcey's will be a thing, even if it isn't on day one.

If this was a free concert or event then yes the fair way to do it would be boarding group at Park opening so everyone has equal chance. But this is a payed place. People spending more money to the owners should have more advantages.

That is some serious grey area, because a person spending the night at All Star Music with a one day ticket to DHS is not giving Disney more money than a local pass holder, or an offsite family with multi day hopper tickets. And a guest staying at the Grand Floridian is giving Disney more of their money than that ASMU guest. Not to mention, Disney is not letting their VIP guide guests ride ROTR without going through the BG process like the rest of us. Their VIP guests, who by the way are paying at minimum $3000, plus their tickets and the rest of their spending.

Disney has perks for onsite guests, but nothing that severely limits what an offsite guest can do in the parks in the way that this would at this time.

FYI there is a FP+ entrance at RotR and MFSR as well as MMRR.

At the SWGE rides they're used right now for guest recovery FP, rider swap, and DAS. If I were a betting (wo)man I would say FP+ is coming to all three in some form eventually, but the entrance existing doesn't really tell us much.

I think they will wait till there genie app to be ready and add new fastpass rides and change tiers in all park. They can market payed fastpass as a advantage built into a tour plan

I really don’t see an advantage to bringing FP+ to Smuggler’s Run. It is a holiday weekend and the wait time is only an hour right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter