New England style hot dog buns

Bread flops open. These have a flat bottom and the hot dog sits in it tightly so everything stays together. It's also a bit thicker and more substantial than a piece of bread, but it has a lot less crust than a traditional roll.

It's always fun to have options.

So use two slices of bread and grill them like you would a grilled cheese. That will hold two hot dogs.

NE all the way. It's like me in CA, don't see the need for avocado & bean sprouts on everything. Regional thing.

They're available in most supermarkets in Ontario, Canada. I didn't know they were considered "New England Style"!

Dempsters makes them, and they're stocked in both the Loblaws and Metro chains (and probably others, too).

806_DEM_NewEnglandHotdogBun-12ct_Straight.png

Oh, and I meant to say that as a Mainer, there IS no other type of hot dog roll other than the split-top, buttered and grilled, for hot dogs and lobster rolls!!

I was born and raised in Maine and I agree 100%!!!!!

South Jersey here....I'll have to look at Shoprite (which I rarely go to) and Acme.

Not sure where in South Jersey you are, but both Shop Rite and Acme near Woodbury in Gloucester County have them.

I'm surprised Wegmans calls them "New England" since they are a NY based company and NY is not considered part of New England. I have always heard them called that growing up in CT as well. We have other grocery stores too, but I don't know anyone that goes to them. :) Discussing Wegmans is an entirely different conversation (one I think that has been on here before.) Here's a fun re-cap if you have never been. http://www.businessinsider.com/revi...ized-wegmans-isnt-just-large-its-a-behemoth-3 (My local store also has a drop in child watch, cooking classes, a Halloween party, Breakfast with Santa, free meeting rooms, Friday night live music.. I could go on and on.)
41046.jpg

Wegmans didn't invent the name, they're just calling them what they've been called for decades.

My step-daughter attended college at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology). Once while visiting she brought us to the flagship Wegmans in Pittsford. WOW!!! I'd never been in a Wegmans before that and was blown away.

There are two Wegmans not all that far from me in NJ now, but not convenient enough to shop at regularly. I sometimes stop in while I'm in the area.

They're available in most supermarkets in Ontario, Canada. I didn't know they were considered "New England Style"!

Dempsters makes them, and they're stocked in both the Loblaws and Metro chains (and probably others, too).

Are those supposed to be eyes on the side of the bun, or wheels?

I did ask another family in CO but she wasn't sure, and she said she'd look in the store. I know nothing about my daughter's host family other then the mom cooks every night (although my daughter thinks it's from Blue Apron) and they have two boys ages 10 and 15. I don't know if they have ever lived or visited anywhere else. They are also super nice and have taken great care of her. I never expected this to be a 3 page thread.. I'll add the rolls to the basket. If the family is not impressed.. well they'll have some white bread to snack on when they run out. They might think everything I bring is strange.. but I really have no better ideas. I'm certainly open to them.. Thanks!

I've never seen those buns here in CO and I've lived here my entire life.

Is the Marshmellow Fluff the same as you use to make fudge? We have that here, but if it's something else than I guess I'll add that to my list when we go to Boston next year.

Another Mainer here! Born, bred New Englander, but now living in Arizona. As other New Englanders have said, there is NOTHING that compares to the New England style hot dog rolls! Bread...nope...Pepperidge Farm and other top split rolls...nope. Not even close! I definitely miss them! Every time we go back to Maine, we bring several dozen of the rolls back with us.

Other food items we miss and can't get here: Wise potato chips, Humpty Dumpty potato chips, Marshmallow Fluff, Whoopie Pies, Devil Dogs, TastyKakes, red hot dogs, and of course, fresh seafood!

There is one fast food place here that does have the NE style hot dog buns- Freddy's. They serve their hot dogs in buttered, toasted NE style buns.

We recently got back from a month's stay back home in Maine, and I am already missing fried haddock and all the other Maine goodies!

I think Wegmans calls them New England style because that's what they are to the rest of the country who is familiar with them, outside of New England. I would think it would be more odd if they called them New England style IN New England. Just like people who do not live in Buffalo call wings Buffalo Wings - here in Buffalo, they are simply wings or chicken wings. No one ever refers to them as Buffalo Wings in Buffalo.

I live in New England, and I've seen them called "Frankfurter Buns" while the other ones are called "Hot Dog Buns":
99099_kym_frankfurter-buns_12oz-detail.png

This brand does still say "New England Style" in the corner, though

I love these buns. I'm in Ontario and eat the Dempsters brand. I hadn't thought to butter and toast them. That might be lunch tomorrow.

Howard Johnson's used to serve their hot dogs on those rolls. I love them! You can't really make a lobster roll without them. But I agree it's a New England thing.

Next time I go shopping I'll have to look for these. Maybe it's a Canadian regional thing LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter