New England style hot dog buns

They have them here in NJ, but I didn't even notice them until my sister visited, and her ds would only eat hot dogs in this type of bun (they are from IL, go figure).

Wegmans, Whole Foods, Shoprite and Aldi have them.

I am west coast. I used to get them at a drug store at the counter service there.....but that was years ago. Can't even remember the name of the place. Remembered ...it was Woolworths.

Pepperidge Farms has them, but not sure if they are available everywhere. I haven't looked for them

00014100070931CF.jpg

I am west coast. I used to get them at a drug store at the counter service there.....but that was years ago. Can't even remember the name of the place. Remembered ...it was Woolworths.

Pepperidge Farms has them, but not sure if they are available everywhere. I haven't looked for them

00014100070931CF.jpg

These are the ones our Walmart carries, but the sides aren't cut off, they have crusts on the side. These are just 'top sliced' hot dog buns, not real NE ones!

These are the ones our Walmart carries, but the sides aren't cut off, they have crusts on the side. These are just 'top sliced' hot dog buns, not real NE ones!

The ones I had at Woolworths had the sides cut off, buttered and grilled.
Would they taste different if you cut the sides off yourself?

I didn't realize this was a thing. When I've seen that type of roll in the past it's always been with a Lobster/Crab Roll. I assumed that they were called a Lobster Roll.

I'm from the Midwest by the way which is probably why I didn't know it was more generic than just a seafood container. LOL

00014100070931CF.jpg

I'd eat these...might have to try them if my store carries them.

King's Hawaiian also makes them

55c28527-3790-48d8-b57d-6d1d0ab580b3

Blech!!!!! I dislike Hawaiian Bread, but I"m pretty sure my family would like them.

New England style is where it's at.
BJ's as them, but I'm not even sure if BJ's is a nationwide store.

CT girl, I don't buy any other kind. With the other kind, I feel like my hot dog and toppings are just going to roll out of the bun!

And when we were in FL last April (ft. Myers) we actually found them in publix. It was a shock! But most people have no idea what they are missing!

Thanks everybody. They are commonplace here (Rochester NY) and I know I had them growing up in CT. They are much better.. I have no idea why they haven't taken off in the rest of the country. They are not even in Maryland Lynxstch? (Wait.. are you near a Wegmans? I just looked and you should be able to get them there!) I would think they would be perfect to put seafood inside. I'm sure the family will laugh at us, but it will certainly be a conversation starter. :) Unfortunately Rochester is only known for the "Garbage Plate". (I'll let you all look that up..) We are also putting a local BBQ sauce, a cookbook from DD's favorite restaurant, a jar of frosting from a local cupcake wars winner, sponge candy (a Buffalo thing), a dice game our family enjoys and a Wegman's tote, which you can only appreciate if you have Wegmans near you. It's all pretty random, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Somewhat off topic, but as a Rochestarian who has since moved to Buffalo, just wanted to mention that both Zweigles and Abbotts will ship anywhere in the country too. We do this for family in Florida often. Also, since you're including the New England style buns, meat hot sauce is also a commodity in our area as well. Even here in Buffalo, "hot sauce" as we know it from Tahou's and Schaller's is not readily available most places. The few burger joints that do have it call it Texas sauce or Greek sauce it's thicker, and less spicy. Not as good. Very unique to Rochester! It can be frozen and packaged for transport fairly easily I would think. Webers mustard is also pretty unique to this area from my understanding. Love all your ideas!

Thanks nkereina. We have lived here 20 years and had actually never gone to Tahou's until a few weeks ago. With my daughter traveling she had purchased a deck of "Rochester" cards. Most of the things she had experienced. She wanted to add "garbage plate" to her list. It was fun.. but I can't see eating that on any kind of a regular basis. :) This seems like a kind of sad for a family that has housed, fed and entertained her for over a month, but we will all write them a nice note as well. I thought it showed a bit more thought then a mug or shirt. I'm not sure I'm up to shipping Zweigles or Abbots (especially since our family isn't particularly fond of either (gasp!) and we will be in a hotel.

Can we go back to the fluff? That's really a regional thing too? I'm not sure if I like that idea or the fancy frosting from a local shop that won Cupcake Wars.. that seems a bit more personal, but fluff might be more fun. (Although some reviews say it can explode mid flight!)

Last edited:
New England style is where it's at.
BJ's as them, but I'm not even sure if BJ's is a nationwide store.

It's not. We moved from NC to MO last year and I miss BJs more than anything else. Costco & Sam's do not compare.

I'm fascinated by this post. I'm used to the top split buns - I've never heard of the NE style, but they look delicious!

pryncess: Yes, it's really interesting what is regional. I had no idea these rolls were so rare until my mother starting bringing them home with her to FL. (I'll have to tell her to check Publix again.) We don't ever butter and toast them at home, but they are still worlds better then the fat, crusty ones. They are all over the place too.. it's not like it's just one unique brand. Nkereina: I don't think Tahou's and Schaller's sell their sauce.. is there another one you would recommend? Bill Grey's? Do you think that would be better then Dinosaur BBQ sauce? Why are we only known for gross food? The "garbage plate" is so famous here that the local baseball team changed their name for a day. Maybe I should bring a few NY apples to soften the junk? http://www.democratandchronicle.com...gs-change-name-honor-garbage-plate/450843001/

00014100070931CF.jpg
Those are not New England style buns. NE style have no side crust and are the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter