New England style hot dog buns

zoemurr

DIS Veteran
Are people out west familiar with these? I know my mom has trouble finding them in FL.. we are putting together an "East Coast" basket for my daughter's host family in CO.

We are going to put in some things that I know are just local, and this was my kid's only idea, but I don't want to put them in if they are everywhere.

(If you don't know.. they are just hot dog buns with no crust on the sides. They are also used for lobster and clam rolls.)

I'm open to other ideas if you are a west coast transplant and can think of things that are more readily available here in NY.

Thanks!

I had to look up a picture to see what you meant since I don't really think about the side crusts of hot dogs. I've always lived on the west coast and have never seen "top split" hot dog buns before. Our buns are split on the side. I think those would definitely fit in an east coast gift basket.

Are people out west familiar with these? I know my mom has trouble finding them in FL.. we are putting together an "East Coast" basket for my daughter's host family in CO.

We are going to put in some things that I know are just local, and this was my kid's only idea, but I don't want to put them in if they are everywhere.

(If you don't know.. they are just hot dog buns with no crust on the sides. They are also used for lobster and clam rolls.)

I'm open to other ideas if you are a west coast transplant and can think of things that are more readily available here in NY.

Thanks!
No I am not, but I just looked them up. They do look better than a hot dog bun. Not a whole lot of bread. I don't recall seeing them out west here. Other wise I would have bought them. But there are recipes for the buns.

I was born and grew up in Western MA for most of my life. I am now in Maryland, and I miss New England style hot dog buns a LOT! I had a friend in Syracuse that would send me a pkg every now and then, but she's since passed away. I have to find a new source for them, as they are my favorites. A lobster roll isn't a lobster roll unless it's on a New England style bun!!!!

Are you talking about the buns that are sliced from the top? My family prefers them to the regular buns but have never heard them referred to as New England style.

Love the New England style buns!! Definitely put them in the basket!

As for other things -

Every once in a while I send my aunt in California Wise Potato Chips. She really missed them when she moved out there.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. They are commonplace here (Rochester NY) and I know I had them growing up in CT. They are much better.. I have no idea why they haven't taken off in the rest of the country. They are not even in Maryland Lynxstch? (Wait.. are you near a Wegmans? I just looked and you should be able to get them there!) I would think they would be perfect to put seafood inside. I'm sure the family will laugh at us, but it will certainly be a conversation starter. :) Unfortunately Rochester is only known for the "Garbage Plate". (I'll let you all look that up..) We are also putting a local BBQ sauce, a cookbook from DD's favorite restaurant, a jar of frosting from a local cupcake wars winner, sponge candy (a Buffalo thing), a dice game our family enjoys and a Wegman's tote, which you can only appreciate if you have Wegmans near you. It's all pretty random, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Last edited:
We fell in love with these on a trip to Maine several years ago. HEB, our local grocery chain, carries a Pepperidge Farm version of them during the summer but they can be difficult to find the rest of the year. We use them when we make lobster or crab rolls, as well as for hot dogs and sausages when we grill.

New England style buns are available in some supermarkets here in New Jersey.

They are baked more or less as a loaf, then sliced by a machine so that when you pull them apart there is no crust along the long sides.

IMG_3655.jpg
newenglandhotdogbuns.jpg

Yes, buttered and toasted, as in pic above, make an average hot dog taste like gourmet! Ooh, the crunch and the butter, then the hot dog and its toppings, yum! I'll go out of my way to get one served that way, and I'm not a huge hot dog fan.

I also heard them called "New England Style" for the first time here on the Dis some time ago. Funny, in our supermarkets in NE, they usually sell both types of hot dog rolls - top split and side split.

Thanks everybody. They are commonplace here (Rochester NY) and I know I had them growing up in CT. They are much better.. I have no idea why they haven't taken off in the rest of the country. They are not even in Maryland Lynxstch? (Wait.. are you near a Wegmans? I just looked and you should be able to get them there!) I would think they would be perfect to put seafood inside. I'm sure the family will laugh at us, but it will certainly be a conversation starter. :) Unfortunately Rochester is only known for the "Garbage Plate". (I'll let you all look that up..) We are also putting a local BBQ sauce, a cookbook from DD's favorite restaurant, a jar of frosting from a local cupcake wars winner, sponge candy (a Buffalo thing), a dice game our family enjoys and a Wegman's tote, which you can only appreciate if you have Wegmans near you. It's all pretty random, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Which BBQ sauce? Have you thought of State Fair BBQ sauce?

Personally, I also prefer New England style rolls. They are softer, more like a dinner roll.

How long is your daughter going to be in Colorado?

When I lived in SD, I ordered Zweigles from here http://www.nystyledeli.com/cgi-bin/deli/index.html. They have a whole bunch of local stuff that you can order. Including Abbott's. Kept us from getting homesick.

Are you looking for things local to Rochester, or the Northeast? What about a bottle of State Fair Spiedie sauce? We used to buy that when we lived in Syracuse. If you are looking for Northeast things, maybe some Marshmallow Fluff (if you can get it in NY)?

Oh, and I meant to say that as a Mainer, there IS no other type of hot dog roll other than the split-top, buttered and grilled, for hot dogs and lobster rolls!!

lab81018: That website is awesome.. thanks. I would love to give them Zweigles, but I'm not really sure how to get them to CO. My daughter has been in a host family for a month and will be there for another two weeks. We are going out next week for a few days. leebee: We were going to bring Dinosaur BBQ sauce because that is what we use. I've had Wegmans Spiedie sauce, but I'm not familiar with the State Fair version.

THERE IS NO MARSHMALLOW FLUFF IN THE WEST?? Yes, I can get that easily. Should I add it?

There is really no method to the madness of what we are putting in the basket. Just things our family enjoys that they might not have.

Haha I grew up in RI and now live in MA. I've never known anything else other then the type of bun you are looking for. Now I'm trying to figure out what other hot dog buns in the country look like lol.

I suppose these are standard side-split buns. And I learned last year that poppy seed buns are popular for a Chicago style hot dog.

stock-photo-hot-dog-buns-on-a-white-background-200662673.jpg
53026_53032_53402_53007_Poppyseed_Hot_Dog_Bun.jpg

I'm not sure what's local to Rochester except Wegmans supermarkets.

We don't have them out here (california)

I have vacationed in New England and they were good .. less bread to hot dog ratio.

To the bolded--no, there are no Wegmans anywhere near me. We are in Western MD, our choices for shopping are Martins (Giant), Save a Lot, Aldi's, and Walmart Supercenter. Walmart has some Pepperidge Farm ones which claim to be New England style, but they are not. They are split at the top, but have crusts on the side, not the same thing to me!

I found a place online that sells them, might cost me a little in shipping, but I am going to order some and put them in the freezer for when I get that 'craving'!

uh oh..now I'm in trouble, same site I found the buns on, has Deutschmacher Frankfurters Natural Casing hotdogs that I haven't had since MA either! lol!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter