• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

new - ear planes

Allsorts

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone - I am new to the boards and this is my very first post. I have been lurking on the old uk boards for about a year and have gather a lot of information.

Myself, DH, DD, DS, MIL and FIL are going to orlando in 4 weeks time. This will be our 7th trip and my MIL and FIL it will be there 2nd trip. Unfortunately we have decided not to do Disney this time as we only have 7 nights in orlando and then we are going to sarasota for another 7 nights at shorewalks.

On the old boards somebody mention about ear planes and i would like to know we I can buy them from in the UK or USA. My daughter suffers badly with her ears when we fly.

Janet

:Pinkbounc

We got ours in Boots a couple of months ago. Never tried them before so I don't know how good they are yet.

Hi Janet :wave: and welcome to the boards!

I'm a firm believer in Earplanes, as both DDs have suffered very badly with ear problems during flights (especially during take-off and landing). They were so successful for both of them that my Mum also got some for her flight and was very impressed.

You can buy both adult and child (up to age 12) sizes - I've never had any trouble getting them in our local Boots branch, and I've also seen them in the airport shops with all the travel bits and pieces. I think they cost around £5 per pair.

Please feel free to post away with any other questions you might have baout your trip - and I'm sure you'll be able to answer a lot of queries from other posters as you've been to Florida so many times yourself :)

I have been using them for years and years (yes they must have been around for about 7 or 8 years or so) and they are fantastic.

I have very bad "ear" problems (didn't put them in early enough once, so they didn't work properly - thought my that one of sinuses was going to blow out of my skull: ouch!!!).

I normally wear mine for take-off, but take them out after about 30 minutes (some people don't bother to use them for take-off - just landing).

Put them in nice and early before the descents: don't wait until the announcement 20 minutes before landing of "we are beginning our descent into...." - it will be too late. I always (now :-)) have them in about 1 hour 15 before landing (to be on the safe side!) and they work very well.

If I am on a short flight (about 2 hours or less), then I wear them all of the time.

On night flights I normally wear them whilst I sleep (has the added bonus of helping to block out the sound of screaming toddlers - not too uncommon on Orlando flights).

You can get them from any decent sized boots: I think that they are about 3.50 or 4.50 a pair (well worth it though - they are loads better than foam or wax ear plugs - no competition).

Have a great trip.

Boo
(huge supporter of ear-planes, but not a hsareholder ;-))

Thank you for your replies

I will definitely be getting the ear planes as it will help a lot because my DD suffers for the next 24 hours after the flight until she gets her hearing back.

i too have purchased earplanes from boots, they are brilliant . also this year have purchased WATER PLANES from boots same principle but too keep the water out of the ears but still able to hear whats going on around you, i suffer from excema (sp) in the ears and too much water makes them really bad.
back to the earplanes the first time we flew i never heard of them and suffered really bad with my ears for 48 hours, really bad discomfort. found earplanes more by accident and used them for our second trip and ears were A1 on landing eliminated all the pain etc, as the others have said make sure you put them in soon enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter