New DVC email about Riviera

I think everyone is, especially with all the other recent changes...
My guess is it will be between BRV/CCV and VGF point costs. I can't imagine them going lower than CCV/BRV and they certainly couldn't go above VGF and still market it to compete BLT, VGF, PVB, BCV, BWV. However, they could do something completely different and double the points for the entire hotel, double the point costs, and half the maintenance per point and then say when you trade into Riviera your points are worth 1 to 2 and when you trade out of Riviera your points are worth 2 to 1. Essentially the intrinsic value would be the same for resorts but by halving the cost per point (while doubling your requirement) they make it more marketable. They could do this going forward for all new DVC resorts too.

My guess is it will be between BRV/CCV and VGF point costs. I can't imagine them going lower than CCV/BRV and they certainly couldn't go above VGF and still market it to compete BLT, VGF, PVB, BCV, BWV. However, they could do something completely different and double the points for the entire hotel, double the point costs, and half the maintenance per point and then say when you trade into Riviera your points are worth 1 to 2 and when you trade out of Riviera your points are worth 2 to 1. Essentially the intrinsic value would be the same for resorts but by halving the cost per point (while doubling your requirement) they make it more marketable. They could do this going forward for all new DVC resorts too.

Yes, I suppose they could, but I'm not sure I would see why, especially if they are not going to go "all-in" on DVC2 (a full second system with completely different resorts and values, where trade-in/out would be required.) Can you imagine someone adding on at Riviera, then trying to make a reservation there at 7 months using a combination of "legacy" points and new Riviera points, with fractional value for some points and full value for others? It would be a mess.

That said, just as big as a question for me as the point costs, are the room types. Unless there is detailed info out there, I have not read much on the specific of what type rooms will be offered Studio/1/2/3 BR, and in what mix. It will be interesting to see, especially with the last few resorts (Poly/CCV) boosting overall points sold via Bungalows/Cabins, and all the other hubb-bubb around point reallocation that has been going on.

I too have a feeling DVC is going to break the mold with this resort. Just with the info we have already (albeit not much) certain things don't add up. They're gonna have to have a plan to turn DVC as we know on its head with new reservation system, points allocations, room categories, who knows what they have planned?? Hang on, I have a feeling its gonna get interesting.

I agree ... I think the whole 2.0 DVC is about to get unveiled ...

I don't know. With today's email, I can't even spot an inch of "read between the lines" implying a DVC 2.0:

"This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed."

No disclaimers about points values, no "Stay Tuned for 'Exciting New Options' " or anything else that would hint at such a major change - If anything the above passage to me indicates "business as usual". Not that prior sweeping changes have a history of being hinted at....but a whole new system?

Can you imagine someone adding on at Riviera, then trying to make a reservation there at 7 months using a combination of "legacy" points and new Riviera points, with fractional value for some points and full value for others? It would be a mess.

I'll go one step further for this mess. I like to transfer in points. What if I transfer in resale Riviera down the road and want to book something at 7 months along with Legacy transfer points I already have that I banked to 2020. How in the world will MS (who has enough trouble right now dealing with transferred points) be able to combine the 2 in order to book at Riviera? My present transfer points are eligible, the Riviera resale points aren't. Yikes. Good luck, MS.

I think the point system will be identical and will just be like any other resort added into the system.....just with the new resale restrictions. I could see the design trying to hedge more towards hotel vs timeshare (hinting at new types of rooms) but that's just a guess.

I'm looking forward to this. We own at BRV (which I love) but visiting in October this year for F&W. This potentially opened up a new avenue to getting access to an Epcot area resort, depending on when they officially open the resort of course.

I haven't monitored the gondola deal but is it expected that these will be up and running when the resort opens?

I'm looking forward to this. We own at BRV (which I love) but visiting in October this year for F&W. This potentially opened up a new avenue to getting access to an Epcot area resort, depending on when they officially open the resort of course.

I haven't monitored the gondola deal but is it expected that these will be up and running when the resort opens?

Ii don't think there are official dates for any of this but i think it is going to be 1,2,3 one very shortly after the other....

gondola
Riviera
SWGE

I don't know. With today's email, I can't even spot an inch of "read between the lines" implying a DVC 2.0:

"This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed."

No disclaimers about points values, no "Stay Tuned for 'Exciting New Options' " or anything else that would hint at such a major change - If anything the above passage to me indicates "business as usual". Not that prior sweeping changes have a history of being hinted at....but a whole new system?

It really can't be - and they've already announced restrictions coming up. But as of today anyone who is a member can book at Riviera thus they don't have to mention any exclusions.

I think the exchange is not going to be as seemless as it currently is among the 14 DVC resorts. Yes, you CAN use your points to book Riviera but you can also use your points to book a cruise and we all know that’s not the best use of points. If there truly is a DVC 2.0 in the works, it could be that 1.0 owners will have to transfer points at a ridiculous exchange or pay a fee :crazy2:

Personally I’d be surprised if they did a fee, because the fee would surely also have to work the other way. Id also be surprised if this isn’t in a DVC 2, because I imagine resale buyers in DVC 1 would have a legal case if it joined the same club, but they had separate restrictions.
So I think it will be in a different club altogether, although seamlessly integrated and average Joe won’t have a clue.
Has anyone seen the amended Buena Vista Tading Co statement as I imagine that will shed more light on matters?
Rumours from guides are that it will be quite expensive to buy in, but quite reasonable points per night. Guess we will soon find out...

Rumours from guides are that it will be quite expensive to buy in, but quite reasonable points per night. Guess we will soon find out...

Well that’s potentially good for “legacy” owners then, right? Assuming there is any availability at 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter