New DVC Direct Pricing

Last year's price increase came with a month's notice, though. They still were able to sell plenty after it. They gave 2-3 weeks notice when they raised the direct buy-in minimum to 75 points. There may have been some gamesmanship there in getting people to add on 50 wherever they could to get in cheaper, but at least they let you know it was coming.
They do not owe us any explanation or warning for these sorts of things, and it really doesn't impact me much as I would only add on via resale anyway, but it's just another drop in the bucket. If this were done alone, I probably wouldn't have even noticed, but added on to everything else over the past two months, it makes it look like they are headed in another, less friendly direction.

I did think rumors of this came out in Dec at least. Sometimes DVC marketing really uses it to promote sales. Sometimes not so much. Last year had a push for certain but it's all going to be how or what they are focusing on for marketing.

These two pieces of news together really peel back the curtain on the Disney magic a bit.

You have to buy direct starting next week to trade into all of our resorts, oh, and by the way, here are our new direct prices $$$

Quick question— even if you buy direct, the expiration date is the same (2042 for BWV, BCV, etc), right?

It’s just strange (to me) that someone will pay $225 for BCV over BLT if the contract for BCV expires so much sooner.

On the plus side, despite the DVC 1 and 2 new resale restrictions, this will likely keep the price of resales afloat. Why buy BCV or BLT direct when you can get it for half the price on the resale market....

Quick question— even if you buy direct, the expiration date is the same (2042 for BWV, BCV, etc), right?

It’s just strange (to me) that someone will pay $225 for BCV over BLT if the contract for BCV expires so much sooner.

On the plus side, despite the DVC 1 and 2 new resale restrictions, this will likely keep the price of resales afloat. Why buy BCV or BLT direct when you can get it for half the price on the resale market....

Yes

Edited to add: I told my guide the same thing. By boxing me in with too high direct prices and the Riviera resale restrictions, they are leaving me no choice but to add on via resale in the future.
They must have anticipated this, and decided it was still worthwhile.

Last edited:

Yes

Edited to add: I told my guide the same thing. By boxing me in with too high direct prices and the Riviera resale restrictions, they are leaving me no choice but to add on via resale in the future.
They must have anticipated this, and decided it was still worthwhile.

As long as they have waitlists longer than they can fulfill, they'll keep raising the prices. Supply and Demand.

I did think rumors of this came out in Dec at least. Sometimes DVC marketing really uses it to promote sales. Sometimes not so much. Last year had a push for certain but it's all going to be how or what they are focusing on for marketing.

I checked my post history and can confirm that my guide was sharing the significant price increase with members as early as the end of September:

DVC Point Price Increase Coming?

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by SpaceMountain77, Sep 25, 2018.

My wife and I had been considering jumping on a VGF contract a couple of years ago as well as the BLT (which we bought, thankfully). My first inclination now, returning and seeing the state of things, is to feel bad that we didn't. But then I talk myself out of feeling bad like so (with gross generalizations):

$49,000 for 200pts at VGF, an amount which allows for a week in a 2BDR during cheap season once every two years

vs

Invest $49,000 at ~7% historical total stock market return over the ~45 remaining years = $1,029,120

Seems that one could stay at the GF using cash at least a few times with the latter method. Romanticized, I know (who is both disciplined enough and young/healthy enough to benefit from 45 years of compounding?)

This rough comparison doesn't even take into consideration the annual dues...

My wife and I had been considering jumping on a VGF contract a couple of years ago as well as the BLT (which we bought, thankfully). My first inclination now, returning and seeing the state of things, is to feel bad that we didn't. But then I talk myself out of feeling bad like so (with gross generalizations):

$49,000 for 200pts at VGF, an amount which allows for a week in a 2BDR during cheap season once every two years

vs

Invest $49,000 at ~7% historical total stock market return over the ~45 remaining years = $1,029,120

Seems that one could stay at the GF using cash at least a few times with the latter method. Romanticized, I know (who is both disciplined enough and young/healthy enough to benefit from 45 years of compounding?)

This rough comparison doesn't even take into consideration the annual dues...
I thought VGF points a couple years ago on the resale market was about $150? So really only $30,000 for those points. What was direct $185 or so?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter