New DVC 101 Episode from the DIS Unplugged!

Loved it, Pete. I’m still on the sidelines... but getting closer to convincing the husband.

I think talking about how DVC busy season is very specific and not at all what you would expect for “regular” busy season. There are so many ins and outs. You’ve definitely got content for some time.

Which resort did you pick?
I'm doing a 75 point direct buy-in at Copper Creek (I want the membership), and I have an offer in on another 250 points (via resale) at Boulder Ridge. I stayed at Boulder Ridge a few years ago and absolutely loved it, so - right now anyway, I'm a Wilderness Lodge guy :) .

You'll want to add an episode called "Addonitis" to the docket for sure. You'll catch the disease shortly after you sign your first contract (probably mid-day next Wednesday, maybe sooner). On the bright side, you have us all here on your platform to provide free counseling to help you cope with it.

Thanks again for the show.
Oh, already afflicted LOL. I literally made an offer on a resale contract the day after I started the process direct with Disney. I have a list of 9 other resales I'm pondering. This is going to get ugly fast.

Oh, already afflicted LOL. I literally made an offer on a resale contract the day after I started the process direct with Disney. I have a list of 9 other resales I'm pondering. This is going to get ugly fast.

I'm doing a 75 point direct buy-in at Copper Creek (I want the membership), and I have an offer in on another 250 points (via resale) at Boulder Ridge. I stayed at Boulder Ridge a few years ago and absolutely loved it, so - right now anyway, I'm a Wilderness Lodge guy :) .

I’m so glad you’ve decided to make this a regular show Pete! I recently bought 75 points at Copper Creek as well for the benefits, something psychological about being an official blue card carrier I guess. I’m up to 450 points now, god be with you Pete LOL

If it makes you feel any better, it'll be HILARIOUS for me! So remember, when you're asking yourself why you're buying add-ons, you're doing it for the viewers. :D

god be with you Pete LOL

:rotfl:

Love Wilderness Lodge! That will be our next resale purchase!
Sounds like you have Add-on-itis bad! Maybe the wait during ROFR and estoppel will cure you for a little while!
Congratulations!

Yes, indeed! And while you can keep it at bay, it's a never-ending battle that requires eternal vigilance. Every new resort, every 7 month disappointment, tips the battle to the other side!

I pay my annual dues in a lump sum for the sole reason that it's the only thing that helps my side (not to mention my long-suffering life partner, LOL).

Just an FYI in case you aren't aware, those are two completely separate properties despite both being at wilderness lodge. So 11 months out you'll only have 75 points to use at the CCV villas which are the main building and the cabins, and the 250 can only be used in the Boulder Ridge building (formerly known as "the villas at wilderness lodge"). Once you get to the 7 month mark they're all the same, but certain times of year (Christmas especially for wilderness lodge), that *might* be an issue.

That said, worst case scenario, you could rent the points and find a reputable Disney travel agent to help you locate a discount. I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.

Congratulations on the direct purchase, good luck on the resale. Don’t forget to post it on the ROFR thread. Add-on-itis strikes hard for some people. We started with 150 resale, now at 350. My better half wants a nice even 400. When does it stop!!! Love all the videos Pete. Love how you tell it how you see it.

Great first show, Pete and Jackie! And congratulations on your purchase, Pete! I'm looking forward to future shows that get more into the details. As many people have commented, the DVC DisBoards are a super helpful resource for new buyers, so you should advertise them on the next show. As I was doing research and reading up, I was so impressed by how willing people were to help and offer honest opinions.

One topic that you might want to cover in a future episode is how many points to purchase (my suggestion would be making sure to have a bit of a cushion). I planned how we could use our points at various one-bedroom and studios, but what I didn't think about was that standard or cheaper views might not be available outside of 11 months. I thought by booking mostly 1 BR we'd have more flexibility. We're fine if we book at 11 months, but if we want to stay at our home resort, BLT, in a one bedroom outside of 11 months, we better have enough points for lake view because something like 60-70% of the rooms are lake view. Just a costly mistake where we'll need to add on a few points at a future date to cover us and make sure we don't need to borrow too much.

Looking forward to more episodes!

This is a true statement only for resorts without dedicated studios and 1 bedrooms. As a member heavily involved in that thread (and one of the few that talked to leadership directly) I wanted to just clarify that point. But everyone should realize if your home resort doesn’t have studio and 1 bedrooms what you said is exactly true. Though there are some believe DVC can’t do that legally but that is something they won’t likely admit to since they tried and want to avoid lawsuits.
I delayed responding to your assertion until I had a chance to run the numbers. The situation is a bit more complex than my assertion (or yours).

What I said is true for the resorts that have no dedicated studios or 1BRs. These include OKW, VB, HHI, SSR, BLT, VGC, AHV, and VGF. These resorts have no protection against point inflation for studios and 1BRs.

What you said is true only for Poly, which has 360 dedicated studios + 20 bungalows. Poly is completely protected against point inflation by increasing the lock-off premium. If you plan to stay in studios, and you care about inflation protection, Poly is where you need to buy. You are not fully protected, because there could be reallocations between the bungalows and the studios, but that is a different issue than the lock-off premium.

Everything else has SOME protection, but is still subject to point inflation.

Of these AKV has the lowest inflation protection. There are 46 dedicated studios, but 250 lock-offs. So 15.5% of Studios are dedicated. This means that for every 100,000 point rise in the lock-off premium at AKV, DVC would have to reduce 15,541 points in other sizes (2BR, GV). To make matters worse, AKV has no dedicated 1BR, so the lock-off premium for 1BR at AKV has no protection against point inflation at all.

BRV has 30.8% dedicated studios and 37.5% dedicated 1BR, so for every 100,000 point rise in the lock-off premium for studios, DVC would have to offset 2BR by 30,769 points, while a 100,000 point increase in the lock-off premium for 1BR would be mitigated by a 37,500 point decrease in 2BRs.

BCV has 32.7% dedicated studios and 21.3% dedicated 1BR. So a 100,000 point increase in the lock-off premium for studios at BCV would be mitigated by a 32,727 point reduction in 2BR. (Yes, I am assuming that if they are raising the Lock-off premium for studios, they are also raising it for 1BR, so 1BR are not available as an offset)
Similarly, a 100,000 point increase in the lock-off premium for 1BR would be mitigated by a 21,277 decrease in 2BR.
So point inflation is definitely a risk, but to a lesser extent than the resorts with no dedicated units at all.

BWV has 39.4% dedicated studios and 46.6% dedicated 1BR. So for every 100,000 increase in the lock-off premium for studios, DVC has to mitigate it by lowering 2BR or GV by 39,431 points.
For a 100,000 point increase in the lock-off premium for 1BR, DVC has to lower 2BR or GV points by 46,595.

CCV is best situated against point inflation due to rise in the lock-off premium, but it is still significant.
CCV has 53.8% dedicated studios and 35.7% dedicated 1BR. So for every 100,000 points DVC increases the lock-off premium for studios, they must decrease 2BR, GV, or Cabins by 53,846 points.
For every 100,000 points DVC increases the lock-off premium in 1BRs, they would have to offset it by 35,714 points in 2BR, GV, or Cabins.

The lock-off premium issue is real. It impacts everyone, except Poly owners.

Love the look on Pete's face when he talked about BLT.

That's the look on me and my husband's face when we walk home with our kiddos happily in strollers after fireworks and get them in bed sleeping 15 minutes after the fireworks end. Priceless!!

We haven't been bitten by the "Addonitis" bug quite yet, but if they keep building these gorgeous new resorts, I don't know how long we'll be "safe." :lmao:

I felt this way about the Riviera. I've been excited about it since the announcement. However, since the new resale restrictions, the estimated high point cost (can we say $200+/pt) COMBINED with a high point chart comparable to the Grand Floridian, I'm pretty much out for that resort. While I have no intention to sell any contract we buy, I do like to comfort of having an exit strategy if needed.

I have found that DVC properties are less maintained, and housekeeping is a complete joke.

Many will agree, and some will disagree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!