New Disney Theme Park reservation system

Are they activating AP's? I thought that they were holding off and extending AP's until the parks are open to a greater capacity (i.e. chances are everyone is getting in).

Are they activating AP's? I thought that they were holding off and extending AP's until the parks are open to a greater capacity (i.e. chances are everyone is getting in).

They haven't stated when the clock on APs will start. All we have to go off of is SDL where they have said they won't start the clock while the reservation system is in effect.

I am a DVC, staying on points, first week in August, and have had my date-start-specific tickets since February. Expecting a call or e-mail shortly - will post here when I get one.

We don't know any details about the new theme park reservation system, but we have to hope that it prioritizes groups differently. These groups could include:
(1) Disney onsite resort / hotel guests
(2) DVC guests staying on points
(3) DVC guests not staying onsite
(4) Annual Pass guests staying onsite
(5) Annual pass guests not staying onsite
(6) Theme park guests with tickets purchased from Disney
(7) Theme park guests purchased from a 3rd party (Undercover Tourist and others)
(8) Others I probably forgot...

Having a ticket reservation system that is simply first come first serve might sound fair, but this could lose money is sales (hotel, tickets, dvc, etc). I think they need a tiered system with a given number of days before checking to secure your theme park reservation. What are your thoughts?
I would think (4) would be equal or greater than (1). Lots of AP aren’t local. I have a Platinum Plus AP as someone who lives in GA.

I would think (4) would be equal or greater than (1). Lots of AP aren’t local. I have a Platinum Plus AP as someone who lives in GA.

Agree. I think top 2 should be
1. onsite with dated tickets
2. onsite with AP.

Or just combine them to 1) Online with some type of already purchsed ticket/pass

I get the sense that they will not be doing park hopping to start. You get entry into one per day. But, that’s my read on it because that way, more people get something.

I also think that by October this will no longer be a thing and it will be back to normal!

It may depend on what internal data they have regarding park hopping habits. Theme park closing times are now all pretty equal, at least in July (around 8-9pm.) There's less chance of people all rushing to a single park that's open late.

Guests will need a reservation for one park, and it may even be a timed entry. Beyond that, they could allow walk-up hopping later in the day, subject to current park capacity.

If they disallow hopping, one issue it raises is that many people have purchased more expensive tickets which include park hopping rights. Same is true of the waterpark add-on if those locations remain closed. Disney will need some process to compensate guests who are unable to use those ticketing features because of Disney's own restrictions.

I think being an onsite guest, regardless of your ticket type or how you are paying for your room is going to get top priority. Then offsite guests who have tickets. The rest gets too convoluted and unnecessarily complicated by trying to give every special interest group their own reason to have priority over another.

Last edited:
If on-site is filled to capacity by my rough math that would be about 30% of park capacity give or take.

If on-site is filled to capacity by my rough math that would be about 30% of park capacity give or take.
It’s probably safe to assume that hotels weren’t at capacity as of yesterday. A lot of people are going to cancel. I can’t see a family who only goes to Disney once every couple of years will want to go now with all the restrictions instead of waiting a year or two. Plus with the job losses, people are going to tighten their belts on stuff like Disney vacations

It’s probably safe to assume that hotels weren’t at capacity as of yesterday. A lot of people are going to cancel. I can’t see a family who only goes to Disney once every couple of years will want to go now with all the restrictions instead of waiting a year or two. Plus with the job losses, people are going to tighten their belts on stuff like Disney vacations

Lets all hope that once all the states start opening up again the jobs come back and we get back to where we were. 🤞

There are so many possibilities for a priority list for the theme park reservation system that my first thoughts might be to complicated as some have mentioned. Maybe just a 2 or 3 yiered system will work without getting into the weeds.

I have a split stay in early Aug for cash @ Caribbean Beach and then DVC @ Poly. I have unactivated APs and 2 day tickets related to free dinning in my account. Want to use 2 day tickets to upgrade from Gold AP to Platinum AP so I sure hope upgrades can still happen with ticket sales be suspended for the foreseeable future.

There are so many possibilities for a priority list for the theme park reservation system that my first thoughts might be to complicated as some have mentioned. Maybe just a 2 or 3 yiered system will work without getting into the weeds.

I have a split stay in early Aug for cash @ Caribbean Beach and then DVC @ Poly. I have unactivated APs and 2 day tickets related to free dinning in my account. Want to use 2 day tickets to upgrade from Gold AP to Platinum AP so I sure hope upgrades can still happen with ticket sales be suspended for the foreseeable future.

I did notice today...didn’t process yesterday,,,it says different people will be allowed to book through phases...so in some way, they will be putting guests in tiers

I'd be surprised if they make any special exception for DVC.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I was watching a Mickey Views video last night and one thing that caught my attention. We know DVC resorts will be open 6/22. It was mentioned (I can't remember his name) by a disney head that they would be doing some soft openings with cast members (and maybe family) and their affinity groups -specifically mentioning DVC members. Now this might be another Blue card benefit that might be seen. If you are a DVC member there during their Soft openings between say July 1-10th then you could be invited in. It will be all very interesting to see how it pans out. We bailed on our July trip and moved it to November, so we have a little time to figure out the new systems

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I was watching a Mickey Views video last night and one thing that caught my attention. We know DVC resorts will be open 6/22. It was mentioned (I can't remember his name) by a disney head that they would be doing some soft openings with cast members (and maybe family) and their affinity groups -specifically mentioning DVC members. Now this might be another Blue card benefit that might be seen. If you are a DVC member there during their Soft openings between say July 1-10th then you could be invited in. It will be all very interesting to see how it pans out. We bailed on our July trip and moved it to November, so we have a little time to figure out the new systems

I saw that this afternoon too. So color me surprised and pleased. It's a great move on Disney's part to build some goodwill. And it will be very tempting to go down now, restrictions and all, knowing you'll have mostly empty parks.

Do you think they will differentiate between off-site Disney Springs Good-neighbour linked in MDE and other off-sight?

My big question is about AP holders. If I were to get a reservation for day 1, would my pass restart in that date? What if I wasn’t able to get a reservation for days 2-7 ? Does the clock stop again? What if I don’t try for day 4 ??
The possibilities are endless. I just don’t know how they will accomplish this.

My big question is about AP holders. If I were to get a reservation for day 1, would my pass restart in that date? What if I wasn’t able to get a reservation for days 2-7 ? Does the clock stop again? What if I don’t try for day 4 ??
The possibilities are endless. I just don’t know how they will accomplish this.

My sense is that they have enough onsite resort reservations between DVC and cash bookings for the first few weeks that those may take up most of the spots and AP holders without that won’t have many options,

I am going to assume that once a person is in the system, they will be allowed to book one park each day..maybe more than one for park hoppers (Though I think they will suspend that for a bit and refund guests the difference maybe on gift cards) ..so entire trip does get booked, To me, that makes sense,

I just wonder how long it will take them to figure it out and get the process out to the public

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter