New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Yes. While the Dream class (and based on the artist renditions, the 3 new ships are derivations thereof) can fit through the PANAMAX locks (new locks), they cannot fit under the Bridge of the Americas; they're too tall and their mast isn't retractable. It's not an awesome design to have a retractable mast for ship stability and mounting antennas up there, but it is possible which would allow the new class to transit the Canal via the PANAMAX locks.

Sorry if this has been covered already but would it be an option to move a Dream class ship to the west coast permanently?

I understand Dream or Fantasy can't use the Panama canal but if it's done on a semi-permanent basis it's a once and done thing and gives them better options for the Pacific cruises.

They could continue to bring the Wonder over for Alaska to have two ships for the summer up there. Then send the Wonder back east sooner to cover the New Orleans and other routes while Dream/Fantasy stays out west and covers the San Diego cruises, Hawaii, etc...

They could absolutely do that, they would just have to sail all the way around South America. They could also send the relocating ship to Europe for a season first and then on to the pacific through the Suez Canal.

Is this still true with the new canal?

DCL could very easily move a Dream Class ship to the West Coast. However at least 1 if not both are moving to Miami.

The Dream class ships can very easily do a canal crossing to the west coast. The air draft (height from the waterline to the highest point on the ship,usually a mast light) is 188 feet. The minimum clearance air draft of the Bridge of Americas is 201 feet at mean ( average ) high tide. The only ships that I know of off hand that won't make it through with out doing some investigating is the Oasis class from RCCL.

The Dream class ships can very easily do a canal crossing to the west coast. The air draft (height from the waterline to the highest point on the ship,usually a mast light) is 188 feet. The minimum clearance air draft of the Bridge of Americas is 201 feet at mean ( average ) high tide.
Thanks for this update :sail:

DCL could very easily move a Dream Class ship to the West Coast. However at least 1 if not both are moving to Miami.

The Dream class ships can very easily do a canal crossing to the west coast. The air draft (height from the waterline to the highest point on the ship,usually a mast light) is 188 feet. The minimum clearance air draft of the Bridge of Americas is 201 feet at mean ( average ) high tide. The only ships that I know of off hand that won't make it through with out doing some investigating is the Oasis class from RCCL.

What a great possibility for the future.

@RedSox68 What would you think about adding "Main Show" suggestions to the list?

My first choice would be Mary Poppins. Plenty of other possibilities, but I'm curious to see what folks will come up with.

Or is there another thread on this?

As per the DCL Blog, a new batch of documents from Port Canaveral specifically refer to the new ships as the Triton Class.

One image in particular shows a birds-eye view of a docked ship labeled with the name Disney Triton.

Edit: Looks like me and Spork24 had the same idea :D

Disney Cruise line blog had a story today saying the project name for the new ships is the Triton class.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...r-disney-cruise-lines-lng-powered-new-builds/

Disney Triton is only two syllables and a unique initial DT. I think there is a good chance ship 1 will be the Triton!

Don't read too much into this name, as a triton is a three-pronged spear used by Poseidon, which makes it a great name for a project to build 3 ships, but not necessarily a name for any of them.

Don't read too much into this name, as a triton is a three-pronged spear used by Poseidon, which makes it a great name for a project to build 3 ships, but not necessarily a name for any of them.
But the previous classes used the class name for the first ship in that group.

Time will tell, but I'd be good with Triton.

Though I had the same thought initially, a "trident" is the spear. Triton carried a trident, however. Who knows? We'll find out eventually. Triton wouldn't be a bad name for a ship.

Though I had the same thought initially, a "trident" is the spear. Triton carried a trident, however. Who knows? We'll find out eventually. Triton wouldn't be a bad name for a ship.

Thanks, I knew something looked wrong in my post on the Triton/trident mistake. But if this ship is Triton, do the other 2 have to be named for the fathers of Disney Princesses, such as Leopold, Maurice, Hamed Bobolonius II, Powhatan, Stefan, Fergus, James, Anikin, Frederic, etc?

Thanks, I knew something looked wrong in my post on the Triton/trident mistake. But if this ship is Triton, do the other 2 have to be named for the fathers of Disney Princesses, such as Leopold, Maurice, Hamed Bobolonius II, Powhatan, Stefan, Fergus, James, Anikin, Frederic, etc?
:rotfl2:

Triton would be a neat name, but it could be a ruse name. Like when Return of the Jedi was being called "Blue Heaven" (I think) during production and filming

I thought about Triton being a ruse name, but if so, don’t be surprised if Triton features prominently on the first ship either in the atrium or on the stern.

No, could be Triton, Neptune and Poseidon if they follow the same motif of sea going gods

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter