New Diabetes Parent.

Jerry1008

Earning My Ears
I have read these boards over the past year, but never imagined that I would be here asking questions. My 14 year old son has just been diagnosed with diabetes. We are in a bit of shock over all of it, and yet want to continue to do everything possible as a family. One of our favorite activities is our annual stop at the world. My question is, how do I find information about foods available, facilities for emergencies, etc. Does Disney publish anything? I there information available elsewhere?

Thanks for the help!

Jerry

Disney's sit-down restaurants will gladly provide special diets for any guest, with advance notice, including yummy sugar-free desserts. The First Aid stations have refrigerators where you can keep meds if necessary, and the staff there is trained to handle this kind of problem. There are excellent hospitals nearby. In short, it is an ideal place to visit because there will be plenty of support. They do publish a Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities, availble on request from CRO. (Does somebody have a link to the info on the guidebook?)

Here is a link to a post about adults with diabetes from this board, don't know if it will help but worth a look:
Diabetes discussion in disABILITIES board

and here is a link to another post with links to sites about hypoglycemia:
Hypoglycemia question

Hope this helps.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Welcome to disABILITIES. I used to be from your neck of the woods. I was a Public Health Nurse with Dane County up util 10 years ago (when I moved to MN) and saw many patients in Stoughton.
Anyway, to get to your questions, there is nothing in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities about diabetes or diets. If you want to call and get more information, you can try WDW Special Reservations at (407) 939-7807.
The information that teri posted is very good. If you need immediate assistance, go to any CM. Even though they don't really advertise it, WDW has a good network of communication between CMs and they can get emergency assistance to you quickly. There is a First Aid Center in each park, staffed by RNs. They can transport people to a nearby hospital by ambulance easily. It all happens "backstage" so most people would not even be aware there is any problem occurring. †

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 17 and I have now lived more than than half my life with it. ( won't say how much more :)

The biggest suggestion I have is to frequently check your blood. I use an insulin pump and give insulin as needed. On days at the world I am walking more, eating at different times, and on water park days disconnecting the pump frequently. Monitering my blood sugar level is the key. I always carry snacks and adjust insulin as needed.

Diabetes takes a little planning but doesn't have to make changes in the family outings. Enjoy your trip!
Linda

Disneyland-'66,'81,
Car. Beach '89,
FW cabins 94,95
Joined the DVC 95 !
HH 9x, OKW 2x, BW 1x, Vero 2x, & Magic 2x

I am a diabetic and I used to work at Disney World.

Being a Diabetic is not a disease, just a minor inconvenience.

As far as eating is Disney. Just follow the same as you will do at home or in another
restaurant. Your doctor will train you on how much carbohydrates you son needs to eat
and use that when eating out. For the desserts some Disney restaurants do have sugar
free deserts but remember everyone is entitled to a treat at Disney!
I agree with the last post. Always carry sugar or candy, esp. when using lots of energy
like in a park and if your son has not got used to knowing the feeling if his blood sugar
level is low, do regular tests.

You will be fine and in a short while you will look back and laugh how you worried over
nothing

Finally Disney does have good first aid stations if you need a nurse but I think you will find that you won't need any of that

Say hi to Mickey for me!

I just want to agree with what the others have posted. I was diagnosed with diabetes at 12 and have now had diabetes for 25 years. I have been on the insulin pump for 9 years and it has changed my life. Greatest thing EVER invented! I'm sure your son will be on one VERY SOON.

For now, enjoy your Disney trips, they don't have to be much different than before. Like the others said, check blood sugar very often (at LEAST every two hours) and keep snacks on you and/or your son AT ALL TIMES for those insulin reactions that hit without warning. (I learned that the hard way, thinking, oh, there are food carts everywhere, I can always buy something. Not so when you're stuck in a show somewhere!)

I know you feel like your life has turned upside down. I remember when I was diagnosed my mother used to say "I feel like I have gone through a college course learning all this stuff." I was near your son's age when I was diagnosed, so I know how he feels. Just give him time to adjust and don't do everything for him. The single greatest thing my mother ever did for me was to make me do it myself - shots, glucose tests, etc.

Good luck and let us all help you with anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter