New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

Just saw the email and boy what a game changer this is. Its good to know what date tickets officially go out that way we don't have to be on standby this whole time. The talentpass is pretty cool since I remember someone said for the Marvel celebrities that came in 2017 you had to be one of the first 100 or so people to get there or there was no chance of getting their autographs. However, this could just be for select celebrities only. For stagepass I assume they wont include the big panels but thatd be awesome if they did. How great would it be to actually sleep in a hotel?! I hope they have a full schedule out before the selection that way I can plan everything out beforehand and know what time slots I need to get to fit my schedule. I need to plan both panels and stores. Im happy they put storepasses online but Im wondering if all of these passes will be online exclusives or if there are select slots here and some leftover for the D23 in case people miss out.

I’m hoping it is like DCL where some spots can be booked ahead of time & there are others available at the expo. Since those with non-US addresses must pick up their tickets onsite at will call, Disney cannot allow all US badge holders to snag all available passes.

Totally agree, we will need the full schedule out ahead of time to plan, either online or ideally in the app.

I expect a disaster based upon prior Disney IT experiences, but fingers crossed. Remember that we ALL would like easy access to stores, for example, but only a certain % can be accommodated. Panel space is limited. Demand exceeds supply.

This will be interesting! I was always happy to wait in the lines, if it meant I got to do what I wanted to do. If this means i miss most of what I want to do, it will be my 5th Expo and my last.

Just saw the email and boy what a game changer this is. Its good to know what date tickets officially go out that way we don't have to be on standby this whole time. The talentpass is pretty cool since I remember someone said for the Marvel celebrities that came in 2017 you had to be one of the first 100 or so people to get there or there was no chance of getting their autographs. However, this could just be for select celebrities only. For stagepass I assume they wont include the big panels but thatd be awesome if they did. How great would it be to actually sleep in a hotel?! I hope they have a full schedule out before the selection that way I can plan everything out beforehand and know what time slots I need to get to fit my schedule. I need to plan both panels and stores. Im happy they put storepasses online but Im wondering if all of these passes will be online exclusives or if there are select slots here and some leftover for the D23 in case people miss out.

The Stagepass specifically says "for select panels including performances in Hall D23" which could mean that only one D23 panel or ALL D23 panels, it's pretty vague.

I expect a disaster based upon prior Disney IT experiences, but fingers crossed. Remember that we ALL would like easy access to stores, for example, but only a certain % can be accommodated. Panel space is limited. Demand exceeds supply.

This will be interesting! I was always happy to wait in the lines, if it meant I got to do what I wanted to do. If this means i miss most of what I want to do, it will be my 5th Expo and my last.

Yes - this will be the interesting thing - it's always been the problem of the expo (in my opinion as someone who hasn't been to one yet) that many people don't get to attend the events they want to attend. I would say though - to wait in line for something for several hours and still NOT get into it would be way worse than going on line for 20 minutes and finding out you are not getting into it. I personally don't get the love of the lines as part of the convention - I would much more be able to know I can get into something and NOT have to line up 10 hours in advance. Of course, if it means I'm shut out of EVERYTHING that would really suck too.

I’ve unofficially heard that international guests will have the same opportunity as US guests regarding the registration process - more details are coming.

Hopefully this will level the playing field a bit, although the numbers are still skewed: 30,000 people, 7500 seats in Hall D23...

Well, the lines did work a bit differently, you would not wait 10 hours and not get in. Starting with the overnights, you were placed in sections with guaranteed access. A small subsection was set aside for gold members - (keep in mind 75% of attendees might be gold) After this was somewhat filled, they began a section for standby. Now those early standby had a good chance of getting in. They could decide to wait and see, or just opt for earlier (than the outside line) access to the floor. Their choice. What is hilarious is once the overnight lines stand up, and have their junk all packed up, their lines are 1/2 as long, as we tend to spread out. PS for Live action last time, I think all the overnight "standby" got in, or at least most of them.

For other events, you have stage pass folks, a line, and at some point they call some at the end "standby". So, it is your choice, to wait in a line without a stage pass, for maybe 1-2 hours, or jump in standby for about 1/2 hour. I got into a few panels on standby, waiting about 20 minutes. I figured why not try, worst case I wasted 20 minutes.

We will see what happens this time. I fear many people will end up upset after this goes down, who now think, GREAT. No waiting in lines! That they will get to set up stores passes, stages passes, and meet celebrities with ease. People who bought tickets despite concerns about lines, who now are so happy. Well, it is just impossible for everyone to get into the stores. (I am not shopper, not my priority). The TalentPass will be particularly hard to get (again, not my interest). The panels are my main interest, and the floor exhibits. So me and others like me will wait on very long lines I guess, to try for the few standby seats for the panels that I cannot secure in advance.

I am hopeful that maybe somehow this works out. It is not that we loved the lines, although I swear they are fun. It is that we had control over our destiny, if we REALLY wanted to see something, we could, if we waited for it. Now, we have lost that control, to a degree.

Please let the servers not crash like the always seem to do.....

I am curious about the wording for the Stage Pass. It specifically says "performances in Hall D23". This makes me wonder if this will not include the panels, but maybe afternoon/evening events not yet announced. I will admit, it would be nice not to have to head over at 2 am, but for now, I will keep that plan.

We will see what happens this time. I fear many people will end up upset after this goes down, who now think, GREAT. No waiting in lines! That they will get to set up stores passes, stages passes, and meet celebrities with ease. People who bought tickets despite concerns about lines, who now are so happy. Well, it is just impossible for everyone to get into the stores. (I am not shopper, not my priority). The TalentPass will be particularly hard to get (again, not my interest). The panels are my main interest, and the floor exhibits. So me and others like me will wait on very long lines I guess, to try for the few standby seats for the panels that I cannot secure in advance.

So, I am one of those people that would love to do the panels but am not willing to wait in overnight lines, but I also realize the pitfalls of doing it this way - either way a lot of people get locked out. I get locked out of the live action panel because I am not willing to wake up at 3 AM and that's fine with me.

I only true "have to" Hall D23 panel is the Parks and Resorts panel. I am still not sure if I will get up at 3 AM if that's what it takes, mostly because I think my family might not do it, but I certainly would. The worst part here is no one knows how this one will work, because they've never done such a big panel on Sunday.

To me what would be nice is if they took the Hall D23 panel and let everyone pick their "first choice, second choice, third choice" As was pointed out there are 30,000 guests, and only 7,500 people per panel, but if you think about it this way:

Legends Panel = 7,500
Disney + Panel = 7,500
Film (Live Action/Animation) = 7,500
Parks and Resorts = 7,500

That totals 30,000 guests, so in theory you could allow everyone to get into at least ONE of the large panels. (I'm ignoring the 25th anniversary musical performance on Sat afternoon since I don't think the demand will be nearly as high for that.)

I do admit to having some fear of "This might leave me shut out", but I feel like I will be willing to chance it.

I am curious about the wording for the Stage Pass. It specifically says "performances in Hall D23". This makes me wonder if this will not include the panels, but maybe afternoon/evening events not yet announced. I will admit, it would be nice not to have to head over at 2 am, but for now, I will keep that plan.

Honestly, this is what I suspect will happen also. The "performances" in Hall D23 will be the only ones actually used for Stage Pass - the 25th anniversary of musicals, and maybe another one not yet announced... (Randy Newman please?)

So, I am one of those people that would love to do the panels but am not willing to wait in overnight lines, but I also realize the pitfalls of doing it this way - either way a lot of people get locked out. I get locked out of the live action panel because I am not willing to wake up at 3 AM and that's fine with me.

I only true "have to" Hall D23 panel is the Parks and Resorts panel. I am still not sure if I will get up at 3 AM if that's what it takes, mostly because I think my family might not do it, but I certainly would. The worst part here is no one knows how this one will work, because they've never done such a big panel on Sunday.

To me what would be nice is if they took the Hall D23 panel and let everyone pick their "first choice, second choice, third choice" As was pointed out there are 30,000 guests, and only 7,500 people per panel, but if you think about it this way:

Legends Panel = 7,500
Disney + Panel = 7,500

That totals 30,000 guests, so in theory you could allow everyone to get into at least ONE of the large panels. (I'm ignoring the 25th anniversary musical performance on Sat afternoon since I don't think the demand will be nearly as high for that.)

I do admit to having some fear of "This might leave me shut out", but I feel like I will be willing to chance it.

Honestly, this is what I suspect will happen also. The "performances" in Hall D23 will be the only ones actually used for Stage Pass - the 25th anniversary of musicals, and maybe another one not yet announced... (Randy Newman please?)

Ditto!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...f-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-announced/
I guess this dashes the hopes of those wishing for a preview of Rise of the Resistance during the expo.

Bummer. Funnily enough, I have a trip planned at WDW for 12/8 - 16. VERY excited, and hoping it works out.

I digress - I think the first, second, third choice might help equalize things. My main concern is timing. Assuming (given information about International ticketholders) delays in shipping won't impact the ability to book? But who knows.

I digress - I think the first, second, third choice might help equalize things. My main concern is timing. Assuming (given information about International ticketholders) delays in shipping won't impact the ability to book? But who knows.
I also wonder how late ticket purchases will be handled re the advance reservation. In past expos, tickets purchased after a certain date were not mailed & would be available at will call for pickup.

I keep thinking this will not eliminate the overnight/early morning lines, because not everyone will get a pass. Plus, People will want to be there ahead of time to get into the expo at opening, not held up outside in the lines waiting to get through security.

And there will still be lines during the day for the standby seats and the no shows.

Legends Panel = 7,500
Disney + Panel = 7,500

I do not think there is any way they will distribute all 7500 seats per panel in advance. It would have to be a percentage of that. They will have to still have a standby line for those who were not able to get tickets in advance. I think at most 30% would be pre-distributed.

I do not think there is any way they will distribute all 7500 seats per panel in advance. It would have to be a percentage of that. They will have to still have a standby line for those who were not able to get tickets in advance. I think at most 30% would be pre-distributed.

I would agree if they do any pre-reservation, it will be some portion, not all. I could see 50-50, but they might not even distribute the big panels at all.

Here are some more details that were released about the system:

“Advance Online Reservations
Advance online reservations allow you to make complimentary advance reservations for select D23 Expo experiences for you and another D23 Expo Guest. If you do not receive your desired reservation(s), there will be standby queues at all StorePass, StagePass, and Talent Central locations.
  • StorePass provides entry at a designated time to shop at either Disney Dream Store, Disney Store, or Mickey’s of Glendale. You may reserve one (1) StorePass per day. Arrive at the shopping location no later than five minutes prior to the start of your reserved timeslot.
  • StagePass guarantees entry to select sessions at Hall D23, the D23 Expo Arena, Stage 28, and the Walt Disney Archives Stage. Seating is filled on a first-come, first-served basis. StagePass tickets are not assigned to a specific seat. You may reserve up to two (2) StagePasses per day, and each reservation must be for a different stage. For Hall D23, arrive at least one (1) hour prior to the start of the session. For the D23 Expo Arena, Stage 28, and the Walt Disney Archives Stage, arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the session.
  • TalentPass provides reservations for talent photos, signings, and other experiences across the Show Floor, including Talent Central. For Talent Central, you may reserve up to three (3) TalentPasses per day. Arrive at Talent Central no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of your reserved time slot.
Please note: A valid and activated D23 Expo adult badge is required to make and check in for a reservation. Children under the age of 14 are unable to make advance online reservations. Guests outside of the United States who have purchased D23 Expo tickets will be able to participate in advanced online reservations. More information on how this process will work will be shared in the next few weeks. These guests will still need to pick up their badges onsite at Will Call. You will be able to make one reservation per time slot. If you do not arrive by the time specified prior to your reservation, your spot will be filled by standby Guests. For Hall D23 and the D23 Expo Arena, the Gold Member Priority Queue will have first access to general seating, followed by StagePass reservations. Standby queues will fill in remaining seats. For Stage 28 and the Walt Disney Archives Stage, StagePass has first access to general seating.”

Here are some more details that were released about the system:
For Hall D23 and the D23 Expo Arena, the Gold Member Priority Queue will have first access to general seating, followed by StagePass reservations. Standby queues will fill in remaining seats. For Stage 28 and the Walt Disney Archives Stage, StagePass has first access to general seating.”

So for the big presentations, Gold Member queuing (possibly overnight?) still has priority? Guessing there will be a cutoff of sorts

So for the big presentations, Gold Member queuing (possibly overnight?) still has priority? Guessing there will be a cutoff of sorts

Hmm, interesting. Do they usually cut off the Gold Member overnight queues at a certain time or # of guests? They’ll know based on the advance reservations how many Gold Members have StagePass for a given presentation, since the StagePass is linked to an individual ticket, so maybe they’ll reduce the allowed size of the Gold Member queue? The new information implies that if you have a StagePass and show up at least an hour early for Hall D23 or 30 minutes early for the others, you’re guaranteed a seat....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter