New CS Seating Policy & The GAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielle782001

DIS Veteran
I just found out about the new CS seating policy at the MK...I am concerned about DS...He gets a GAC when we go...Do you think that if we showed the GAC that they would allow us to sit him before we get our food?

No idea - but, technically, GACs are only for attractions, not for restaurants, transportation, etc.

But at least as of earlier this week, this seating policy is in effect only at four counter service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom, only at busy times of the year, and only at busy times of the day. This leaves the Guest with many options: eat early, eat late, eat at a restaurant that does not participate in the new seating policy, eat at a resort...

If a policy is inconsistent with the reasonable needs of an individual under ADA then they are supposed to be waived. I can not imagine any manager not being considerate.

bookwormde

Technically the GAC is for attractions only. And also a lot will depend on what stamp(s) are on the GAC.

Technically the GAC is for attractions only. And also a lot will depend on what stamp(s) are on the GAC.

Then it may be something you wish to discuss wih Guest Services when you are requesting your GAC.

Thanks for posting the question; it's something I hadn't even thought about.

Good Luck with your trip!

Kathy

Thanks guys...I will check into it when we arrive at Guest Services...And I will let you know what the outcome is...We are planning to eat dinner at CHH the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, so I am guessing that would be one of those "crowded days/hours"...I will let you know how it goes...Thanks again.

Why would he need it? Not being able to wait isn't a reason, people have to wait everywhere else (which is why I don't understand everyone freaking out about standing in line). Is there a legitimate reason that he would in no way be able to wait in line or wait somewhere else with another adult?
If we had to go, and were caught in this (we rarely eat CS, so I don't anticipate it being a concern for us), *my* only concern is the dog in line. Not because my dog can't stand in line, but because people are stupid and repeatedly try to touch him and feed him. I'd also be concerned about someone not seeing him and tripping over him. As it is, my partner can wait with him anf the kids, so I'm not all that worried.

I don't think a GAC would or should apply to restaurant seating. If having him waiting in the restaurant is a problem, have an adult take him for a walk or on a ride while you order.

Why would he need it? Not being able to wait isn't a reason, people have to wait everywhere else (which is why I don't understand everyone freaking out about standing in line). Is there a legitimate reason that he would in no way be able to wait in line or wait somewhere else with another adult?
If we had to go, and were caught in this (we rarely eat CS, so I don't anticipate it being a concern for us), *my* only concern is the dog in line. Not because my dog can't stand in line, but because people are stupid and repeatedly try to touch him and feed him. I'd also be concerned about someone not seeing him and tripping over him. As it is, my partner can wait with him anf the kids, so I'm not all that worried.

I don't think a GAC would or should apply to restaurant seating. If having him waiting in the restaurant is a problem, have an adult take him for a walk or on a ride while you order.

Not speaking specifically for the OP, but for myself, having a quiet, controlled place to wait while one parent is getting lunch, etc. is a requirement. I have two children w/ neuro disabilities, including autism. Trying to get them to stay in one place w/o moving and w/o having a meltdown from the overstimulation of people bumping into them while hungry is a physical impossibility. We are also limited in where we can sit, to avoid a child eloping, we need to sit with them against a wall. That is for their safety and the safety of others- primarily to prevent one of my kids running under the feet of someone not looking because they're carrying a tray or two. So if there isn't a suitable table, we don't eat there. Also, we need a table where the kids can be somewhat contained because there's only one of us watching them. We keep some snacks and distractions with us at all times, and work very hard to keep them engaged.

For all of the reasons stated, the "solution" you propose is completely unworkable. and fwiw, we do eat at off peak times of day and during value season so the crowds are as low as possible. Sometimes it is very difficult to have empathy for someone who has a different disability and therefore different needs. Hopefully this is a place where we can educate and support each other.

I would think that it might actually be helpful. If you have a need for specific conditions like needing to sit by a wall or as away from the crowds as possible, the CM that's greeting might be able to help make this happen. do think that it's still important to do all the necessary things like eat at "off" times and not wait until the kids are ravenous. Remember that for the most part, CMs really do want to help people and make everybody's experiences positive. They aren't required to provide the accomodation specified on the GAC but I can't imagine that they wouldn't try to help.

What is the seating policy? I was there last week and didn't notice anything different.( We ate at Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray at peak lunch time)

Not speaking specifically for the OP, but for myself, having a quiet, controlled place to wait while one parent is getting lunch, etc. is a requirement. I have two children w/ neuro disabilities, including autism. Trying to get them to stay in one place w/o moving and w/o having a meltdown from the overstimulation of people bumping into them while hungry is a physical impossibility. We are also limited in where we can sit, to avoid a child eloping, we need to sit with them against a wall. That is for their safety and the safety of others- primarily to prevent one of my kids running under the feet of someone not looking because they're carrying a tray or two. So if there isn't a suitable table, we don't eat there. Also, we need a table where the kids can be somewhat contained because there's only one of us watching them. We keep some snacks and distractions with us at all times, and work very hard to keep them engaged.

For all of the reasons stated, the "solution" you propose is completely unworkable. and fwiw, we do eat at off peak times of day and during value season so the crowds are as low as possible. Sometimes it is very difficult to have empathy for someone who has a different disability and therefore different needs. Hopefully this is a place where we can educate and support each other.

We are in the exact same boat :hug:

Would waiting outside of the restaurant until the food is purchased and prepared be an accommodation instead? OP, what would be your strategy if there were no tables immediately available when you walked in?

bookwormde, there are limitations to ADA, and if waiving the policy puts an undue burden on the business, then it doesn't have to be waived - example: there are people with food waiting to be seated, then no, someone without food should not be seated ahead of them. The ADA was created to provide equal access, not preferred access. WDW provides benches outside of the restaurants for those who need to be seated while someone else gets the food. Of course, someone else might already be sitting there.

Would waiting outside of the restaurant until the food is purchased and prepared be an accommodation instead? OP, what would be your strategy if there were no tables immediately available when you walked in?

bookwormde, there are limitations to ADA, and if waiving the policy puts an undue burden on the business, then it doesn't have to be waived - example: there are people with food waiting to be seated, then no, someone without food should not be seated ahead of them. The ADA was created to provide equal access, not preferred access. WDW provides benches outside of the restaurants for those who need to be seated while someone else gets the food. Of course, someone else might already be sitting there.

No, waiting outside on a bench would not be an appropriate accomodation, for further info, please see my previous post. As far as what one would do if there were no tables- My family would have to go somewhere else; many families with the same disabilities would have to go somewhere else. Unless WDW can provide an alternate SAFE place to wait with my children, they DO have to provide a way for me to sit in a SAFE location within the restaurant. That is equal access, that is what is provided under ADA. We are not allowed to bring meals into the park, therefore we must eat food that is prepared and sold within the park, therefore our families must be provided with equal access to food outlets within the park. That means a safe way of having children with disabilities wait with one parent while the other stands in a line.

No, waiting outside on a bench would not be an appropriate accomodation, for further info, please see my previous post. As far as what one would do if there were no tables- My family would have to go somewhere else; many families with the same disabilities would have to go somewhere else. Unless WDW can provide an alternate SAFE place to wait with my children, they DO have to provide a way for me to sit in a SAFE location within the restaurant. That is equal access, that is what is provided under ADA. We are not allowed to bring meals into the park, therefore we must eat food that is prepared and sold within the park, therefore our families must be provided with equal access to food outlets within the park. That means a safe way of having children with disabilities wait with one parent while the other stands in a line.

You can bring food into the parks. Good luck with the "equal access" with food at WDW.

FWIW-I have yet to see this "policy". I was in the parks all week and never saw this.

No idea - but, technically, GACs are only for attractions, not for restaurants, transportation, etc.

But at least as of earlier this week, this seating policy is in effect only at four counter service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom, only at busy times of the year, and only at busy times of the day. This leaves the Guest with many options: eat early, eat late, eat at a restaurant that does not participate in the new seating policy, eat at a resort...

What restaurants does this apply to? I wasn't aware of any new policy.

What restaurants does this apply to? I wasn't aware of any new policy.

*my* only concern is the dog in line. Not because my dog can't stand in line, but because people are stupid and repeatedly try to touch him and feed him. I'd also be concerned about someone not seeing him and tripping over him. the kids,

Just a curious question. On our last visit while waiting in line I was pushed back and pushed a service dog aside.
I really was sorry and said "sorry boy" to the dog (yes I know I do talk with dogs :rotfl2:) and apologized to his boss and asked if the dog was also excited to see Mickey:lmao:
We had a real nice conversation but reading your comment I did wrong by touching the dog. I gave him a little pat on the head.
Why is this a problem? No pun intended but I'm just curious and will learn by the mistakes I know of.

Don't ever touch someone's SD. It's about as appropriate as picking up a random three year old and giving him a hug. Unintentionally bumping into hinm is something else, it's understood to be an accident. Deliberately reaching down and petting him is not an accident and not okay.
The reason why is because the dog is focused on the handler and the task at hand. Other people petting him is distracting and, depending on the reason for the dog, can unduly disrupt his job and potentially endanger the handler. Now, sure, you could always ask to pet, but that gets REALLY old. IMO, asking to pet is just as rude, or moreso, than going up and touching the dog entirely. Dogs are fun and happy and people like dogs. Toddlers are fun and happy and people like toddlers. It's no more okay for someone to ask to hug my child than to pet my dog. Alternately, it's no more appropriate for them to play with the dog than to play with a wheelchair.

OP- You CAN bring your food into the park, an entire meal if you like. But WDW is not "required" to provide you someplace to sit with your children, ever. Eating or otherwise. And there are plenty of places to sit or stand. Your children must stand in line for rides, must walk from ride to ride, must sit at the table to eat. You'd be hard pressed to convince someone why they can stand in line at the haunted mansion but can't stand in line to get food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts