New changes to Egypt trip

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
We are on the October 20, 2020 trip and just received an email about changes to the trip. I am curious if others earlier/later are receiving the same changes.

"want to let you know about a few recently announced closures and several new opportunities that we have included in your upcoming itinerary.

The Grand Egyptian Museum will not be fully completed in time for your trip. Instead of visiting the Grand Egyptian Museum on Day 3, we will now visit the Egyptian Museum in Cairo with an Egyptologist on Day 2. Known as the "Louvre of Egypt," the Egyptian Museum houses the world's greatest collection of Egyptian antiquities, including world-famous treasures from the tomb of King Tutankhamun.

On Day 3, instead of visiting the Conservation Rooms at the Grand Egyptian Museum, which have been unexpectedly closed to our access, our group will now enjoy private access during our tour of the Great Sphinx of Giza. This unprecedented access is usually reserved for dignitaries and is certain to be memorable. In addition, this adult exclusive trip will now visit the Great Pyramids of Giza "after-hours" assuring privileged access and a private experience.

During our cruise along the Nile River, we will no longer stop to visit the temple complex in Edfu on Day 6 to allow more time to visit the fascinating city of Luxor. While there, we will enjoy an added tour of the spectacular Mortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut hosted by an Egyptologist.

Also on Day 6, rather than a daytime tour of the Luxor Temple, our group will now enjoy a private "after-hours" tour with an Egyptologist. Visiting this famed temple, illuminated at night, is certain to be one of the many highlights of your vacation experience."

I don't know anything about Edfu vs. Luxor, nor do I know the details of the old itinerary, but these *sound* like cool changes. If the Grand Egyptian Museum isn't ready for visitors yet, it sounds like they got you some really interesting alternatives. Am I reading this right?

Sayhello

We got the same changes. I think they all sound pretty great. My dad said Egyptian Museum is not that great (run down) but still worth seeing. He thought the other changes sounded really good (he's done a similar trip to Egypt already so he's pretty familiar). I am starting to get pretty excited about the trip! Fingers crossed.

Hi Grifdog22 - we are on the same trip as you Oct 20 :)
I don’t like the change in museums on the itinerary but expect there will be many changes in the next few months to the itinerary. It will be interesting to see how the first few trips go.
You can always book a private tour with another group if interested in seeing parts of the new grand Egyptian museum. Although it isn’t fully open (expected some time in late 2020) you can tour it with a private group. ABD probably switched to the old museum since the King Tut stuff is still there. It will be moved at some point to the new museum but Egypt will not announce when that will occur.
We plan on using our pre day there to tour whichever museum ABD is not going to :)
See you in October! I can’t wait for this trip!!!

We are on the December trip over the holidays and got the same update.

So, the Giza and Sphinx visit is “after hours”. Interesting. Are there any morning or afternoon activities on Day 3 now?

We got the same changes. I think they all sound pretty great. My dad said Egyptian Museum is not that great (run down) but still worth seeing. He thought the other changes sounded really good (he's done a similar trip to Egypt already so he's pretty familiar). I am starting to get pretty excited about the trip! Fingers crossed.
We visited the Egyptian Museum last year. It feels like you are in an Indiana Jones movie lol It is not horrible but it is not the most up to date, flashy museum. However we LOVED it! The new museum is M-A-S-S-I-V-E. You will drive by it on the way to the Great Pyramids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!