New Camper in need of info!

robin09

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone, just bought a new camper? thiis week and have some questions. DH says we need a tow hitch, being that we are driving down to Disney this weekend (without camper) does anyone know where I can buy a tow hitch? Dh says he already has the ball?:confused3 I feel so blonde at this moment, :dance3: I know nothing... If you need any info feel free to ask, I might not answer you correctly, as I already found out, I gave Progressive all the wrong info, thought it was a popup and it's not.:scared1: .. it's a hybrid, confused progressive and myself... So please if anyone is out there... HELP! Figure it'll be cheaper as we come down from upstate NY:goodvibes .

If you PM me< hopefully I will get it.. having trouble getting the computer to keep me signed into the disboards....:confused3

What is the length and weight? What are you towing with? This will help with getting some answers.

What is the length and weight? What are you towing with? This will help with getting some answers.

Yep, you need to tell us everything you know about both the trailer and tow vehicle before we can even start guessing.

Larry

Boy was that quick..:goodvibes . Here's the info that you asked for!

DH says the camper is 22 1/2 feet long.. and weight is 3300 pounds. It is a 2006 Zeppelin 190 Travel Trailer...

We will be pulling it with our Suzuki XL 7... Hope that helps!

Boy was that quick..:goodvibes . Here's the info that you asked for!

DH says the camper is 22 1/2 feet long.. and weight is 3300 pounds. It is a 2006 Zeppelin 190 Travel Trailer...

We will be pulling it with our Suzuki XL 7... Hope that helps!

Need year, engine and rear gear ration on the Suzuki

Larry

Whoops, This is what I get for listening to DH..:lmao: .. SO what you are saying is that his Suzuki will not be able to pull it? :confused3 I will strangle him tonight, so his insurance will pay for a new vehicle!:laughing: The salesman assured us that the suzuki will have no problems with pulling. :sick:

Anyway, in answer to your other questions... Suzuki is an 03, engine is 6 cylinder and I'm not sure what your last one meant... rear gear ration... Dh says to tell you it's 4 WD.

Larry is correct. I googled your TV and max tow limit is 3000lbs. You shouldn't be towing that hybrid with it. I am sure this is not good news, you might need to have a talk with your dealer.

You might want to rethink this. Way over your weight limit.

I guess I goofed! Can't rethink it, the loan is now ours and the camper is in my front yard. Need to rethink how to make it work then. I so did not want to hear what you are telling me. I trusted DH, :confused3 as he is THE car man. I can just scream. I guess it's gonna be a pretty lawn ornament for now:lmao: . Well , we're leaving for Disney tomorrow afternoon and will be down there on Monday. A good thing too, because at least my mind will be off this impulsive buy. Well really not impulsive, we've been talking about it, but I didn't research, I trusted him to know what we were getting into. I am sooo not a happy camper right now.:mad: ... but at least DD9 got to eat in her camper tonight and she was happy!:rotfl: Thanks for all the replies!:goodvibes

With sales as low as they are right now they might have sold you a 5th wheel lol. Salesman say lot's of things, that's why it's best to research 1st then buy. Heck I may not pull a pop up with what you got and feel safe. Just being honest. I'm sure a 1/2 ton F-150 or Silverado would work just fine. I'd like to spit some beech nut in your salesmans eye for selling you something so dangerous to pull with. Not only are you endangering your own lives, but others as well.

Unfortunately, this happens a lot with a first time RV purchase. The salesman just wants to make the deal. Can you pull it? Probably, but it the potential for damage to your zuki is very high. The main problem is being able to STOP it!:scared1:

Camping in an RV is truly great family fun and I hope this works out well for you guys in the end! Like Stack suggested, a 1/2 ton truck would fit the need!

At the very least, you are probably going to do some serious damage to the power train on your vehicle towing this trailer, especially in the terrain you live in. I agree with Donnie - an F150 would tow this trailer nicely with power to spare.

Well , congrats on the new camper!
And have a great time at Disney !:thumbsup2

But iIagree with everyone,,please get a larger vehicle to pull the TT,,you and your children really need to be safe.

And until you get a reasonable vehicle to pull it with,,there is absolutely nothing wrong with having some practice camping in your new camper parked in your yard,,it's lots of fun !:goodvibes

With sales as low as they are right now they might have sold you a 5th wheel lol. Salesman say lot's of things, that's why it's best to research 1st then buy. Heck I may not pull a pop up with what you got and feel safe. Just being honest. I'm sure a 1/2 ton F-150 or Silverado would work just fine. I'd like to spit some beech nut in your salesmans eye for selling you something so dangerous to pull with. Not only are you endangering your own lives, but others as well.

I'd like to do something more than that right now. We live in a small town, basically everyone knows you. And if that person doesn't know you, he'll know someonewho does. I cannot believe that this person sold us something that will be dangerous.:headache: I'm beyond angry right now, but need to shelve it till after our trip.:goodvibes

Ftwildernessguy... I guess you know our terrain. We live in a valley, surrounded by mountains, wherever you look.

Thank goodness for all you guys,:love: there is nothing that I would knowingly do that would endanger anyone else, let only my family. I knew you guys would help out! Funny thing is we were looking at a popup camper, but I decided that it was too small for us after looking at the creature we bought! I loved the fridge, frezer, stove.. even the shower. I used to tent camp, but that was when my twins were younger.. now they are 23. Our DD is 9, and I have turned 50, I need some comforts in life now!

So thankyou all sooo much again, :flower3: I'll deal with this problem after Labor Day when I get back from our Magical Place!

I would just like to jump in and add that if you decide to look into a 1/2 ton truck, just make sure you verify the towing capacity for that particular truck as well. I followed a thread on RV.net where a family traded in their SUV for a 1/2 ton Dodge in order to have a better tow vehicle. The auto salesman convinced them to purchase one on the lot that would get better gas mileage, but after he got it home he found that the way that particular truck was built (6 cylinder with low gear ratio), it had LESS towing capacity than their SUV and they could not tow their existing hybrid with it.

Very unusual for that in a 1/2 ton, but they do exist and wanted to give a heads up.

Please, do not tow that trailer with the Suzuki. If you need some time before getting a new tow vehicle, consider renting a truck from some place like United Rentals or places that are more likely to have a receiver built onto the truck.

There really is a lot to consider with a tow vehicle - engine size, rear axle ratio, tow packages. Thankfully, the internet offers a great way to gather information prior to even going to the dealership so you won't end up like the people disney4dan was talking about. It sure pays to walk into a place with some product knowledge - the sales people generally back off if they think you may know more about what they are selling than they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter