New appliances - opinion please

I wanted to buy a Bosch 6 years ago. Luckily I took my Fiesta Ware plate to try in the dishwasher because it didn't fit. It was too think for the tines that hold the plates. Would have been sad to have it installed and then find out. I bought a Whirlpool and have hated it for 6 years. It doesn't clean well. Currently looking at a GE because there was one in our rental beach house and it was great.

We just bought a Whirlpool fridge with a bottom freezer about 2 years ago and I love it, especially having the freezer on the bottom.

We have a KitchenAid dishwasher and I love, love, love it. I initially went in looking for a Bosch but as mentioned it was too small and did not have a heat dry. The KitchenAid cleans well. I’m a rinser out of habit but the rest of the family not so much. The dishes are always clean. Unless it’s draining you have to put your ear next to it to hear it running.

My refrigerator is a Samsung. My previous fridge (Whirlpool) went out after five years. This one was the style I wanted, on clearance and available to be delivered the next morning. Samsung gets a bad rap but *knock wood* it’s still going strong after seven years.

So I'm not the only one who went in for a Bosch but walked out with something else because of the ridiculous rack system in the Bosch with the tiniest of margins for plates? We returned to another KitchenAid, the third one we've installed between two houses in 25 years.

I just don't get it, not that many years ago Bosch had normal-sized plate racks. They have to realize it's costing sales. Two friends who own and love their Bosch did not believe me and decided to check it out for themselves. They both agreed that they could not buy a Bosch with the current plate rack situation.

If you want advice it may be better to post links, I googled the model # but didn't find it.
I have a GE dishwasher and I hate it. I bought it as a place holder until we figure out what we are doing with our kitchen. I had expected that would be sooner rather than later, but I was wrong and I've been stuck with it for a few years.
It wasn't the least expensive one, and it wasn't top of the line (does GE have TOL options?), I have no idea what the model is but I don't think I'd recommend any GE dishwasher at this point.
They have what's called the Profile Series but it's mainly just the same basic product with a fancier appearance and some extra electronic features - and those are the things that break down most often. This chart is helpful to "connect the dots" between manufacturers and badging: http://www.appliance411.ca/purchase/make.shtml

I wanted to buy a Bosch 6 years ago. Luckily I took my Fiesta Ware plate to try in the dishwasher because it didn't fit. It was too think for the tines that hold the plates. Would have been sad to have it installed and then find out. I bought a Whirlpool and have hated it for 6 years. It doesn't clean well. Currently looking at a GE because there was one in our rental beach house and it was great.

We just bought a Whirlpool fridge with a bottom freezer about 2 years ago and I love it, especially having the freezer on the bottom.

I have a Bosch and can fit 16 Fiesta plates in it. Maybe they reconfigured the insides since you last looked at one?

I will only put a couple of the cereal bowls in it because they take up too much room.

The brands of dishwashers I’ve had over the years are Hot Point, Kenmore, Kitchenaide, Insinkerator, Bosch and Whirlpool.

The Insinkerator was great but don’t know if they still make dishwashers anymore.

My first Kitchenaide was really good but the second one sucked as far as washing went and it was the top of the line one. I replaced that one with a Bosch and I love the Bosch. It’s very deceiving when you look at the insides. It fits more dishes than my Kitchenaide did.

Replaced my almost brand new Bosch dishwasher with a kitchen aid one when we remodeled the kitchen last year. The kitchen aid dishwasher is in a different league from the Bosch one. No comparison.

We will always buy kitchenaid appliances from now on.

I have a Bosch and can fit 16 Fiesta plates in it. Maybe they reconfigured the insides since you last looked at one?

I will only put a couple of the cereal bowls in it because they take up too much room.

The brands of dishwashers I’ve had over the years are Hot Point, Kenmore, Kitchenaide, Insinkerator, Bosch and Whirlpool.

The Insinkerator was great but don’t know if they still make dishwashers anymore.

My first Kitchenaide was really good but the second one sucked as far as washing went and it was the top of the line one. I replaced that one with a Bosch and I love the Bosch. It’s very deceiving when you look at the insides. It fits more dishes than my Kitchenaide did.

It's not about how much you can fit in the Bosch overall, it's about plates actually fitting in between the slots of the rack itself. When I looked about 2 years ago now Fiesta plates would not fit in a Bosch rack. I went to the store looking to order the Bosch. Opened up the rack and realized that wasn't going to work, so I started seeking out other Bosch models and selection at other stores. All models had the same rack. When I mentioned it to a couple friends who love their Bosch they were surprised. Both ultimately made a point to peek at the current models while out shopping. Both agreed that their current set of dishes would not fit in the slots of the rack. I even tossed around the idea of a new set of dishes in order to buy the Bosch. We've been satisfied with the Kitchenaid in the end, just as we have in the past.

We bought our house in 1997. Kitchen was all GE. Our fridge was GE from our old house. We had more problems with that fridge: compressors, ice makers, cracked seal recall, etc. When it bit the dust (after only about 7 years) we went with Samsung. It has been a very good fridge. I don't think we've ever had anyone out to look at it and it is over 10 years old. GE dishwasher lasted only 7 years. Got a Kitchenaid that was very nice. It was loud, but I liked the configuration of it. It finally bit the dust this year (13 years). My wife chose a Bosch. It is very quiet and gets the dishes very clean, but it doesn't have a dry cycle that really works and as another poster stated, the configuration of it, even with three racks, is not good, especially for bowls. I would have selected a different brand, but my wife likes it.

We are on our second GE oven and over the oven microwave. The first ones lasted about 10 years each I think (which means I am probably due to have to buy new again soon). So, I won't do GE again. The only thing GE that has lasted without much problem is the cook top.

It's not about how much you can fit in the Bosch overall, it's about plates actually fitting in between the slots of the rack itself. When I looked about 2 years ago now Fiesta plates would not fit in a Bosch rack. I went to the store looking to order the Bosch. Opened up the rack and realized that wasn't going to work, so I started seeking out other Bosch models and selection at other stores. All models had the same rack. When I mentioned it to a couple friends who love their Bosch they were surprised. Both ultimately made a point to peek at the current models while out shopping. Both agreed that their current set of dishes would not fit in the slots of the rack. I even tossed around the idea of a new set of dishes in order to buy the Bosch. We've been satisfied with the Kitchenaid in the end, just as we have in the past.

I think the best advice is to take a couple dishes with you when you shop. We did this, to be safe. We use Corelle and they fit fine in the Bosch, but were actually a bit tall for one of the others we tried.

I think the best advice is to take a couple dishes with you when you shop. We did this, to be safe. We use Corelle and they fit fine in the Bosch, but were actually a bit tall for one of the others we tried.

It's not the height that's the problem, it's the thickness and the curve. A Corelle would be fine I'm sure. Fiesta would not fit the rack slots, neither would most Pfaltzgraff or stoneware that has anything more than the very slightest of curve at the outer rim. The slots on all Bosch products were more like they're designed for file folders when I was out to replace my dishwasher. I toyed with the idea of replacing my dishes until I realized it would be another expense and I would be very, very limited in what I could choose to fit in the slots.

since it is now just DH and I, we sometimes have things sit in the dishwasher, unrinsed, for days at a time before we run it. Still come out clean.
That speaks well for your dishwasher. We have the same sitch (just me & DW here) and we don't run the dishwasher every day. We have to rinse everything thoroughly or food sticks to the dishes(we have a GE.) Our dishwasher is also loud, when we're at DD's house and she runs her Bosch you wouldn't even know it's on. When it comes time to replace our current machine we're def looking at a Bosch.

I can't voice an opinion on that brand, but I will tell you what a serviceman told me about dishwashers. Because they are forced to use such a small amount of water, they are basically only able to sanitize your already washed dishes. That was his opinion, based on his experience, I have no idea if it is true across all the brands.

I don't doubt the service man told you that, but I think it's actually the opposite. Many newer dishwashers have sensors (like a washer/dryer) that dictate how long the cycle time is. If you're putting in a mostly clean dish from rinsing it, the cycle will end up shorter and therefore won't clean them as well. My dishwasher has a separate sanitize cycle that goes longer and hotter than the "normal" cycle, so my dishes aren't being truly sanitized during a normal run through.

In addition, most dishwasher pods/detergents have enzymes that attach to food to break it down off the dishes, giving a more thorough cleaning. If there are no food particles to attach to, the detergent is getting washed away.

We need a new dishwasher and refrigerator
We are now DH & DW with just one adult DS still living in our home (but working)

We are thinking of a 17.5 cubic GE top freezer refrigerator = GTE18GTHBB
and a
GE dishwasher = GDT665SGJBB

Anyone own one?
reliable ?
needing repairs ?
running well ?

Thanks for your help!

I'll just say from our personal experience, we'll never buy a GE appliance. In 2009 we bought a house that had all GE appliances (owner worked for the company). Since then we've had service calls and/or replaced the water softener, washing machine, refrigerator (multiple times) and microwave.

A hose to the ice machine failed on the fridge while we were on vacation, and water ran through our kitchen hardwoods down the wall into our basement, causing damage to a wall and the carpet down there. $18,000 to fix it all (USAA was great--all we paid was our deductible.)

The only ones we've had no problems with were the dryer, dishwasher and an under-counter fridge. That's 5 out of 8. YMMV, but we're done.

It's not the height that's the problem, it's the thickness and the curve. A Corelle would be fine I'm sure. Fiesta would not fit the rack slots, neither would most Pfaltzgraff or stoneware that has anything more than the very slightest of curve at the outer rim. The slots on all Bosch products were more like they're designed for file folders when I was out to replace my dishwasher. I toyed with the idea of replacing my dishes until I realized it would be another expense and I would be very, very limited in what I could choose to fit in the slots.
I wasn't saying at all that I doubted yours didn't fit. I was just suggesting everyone take their own dishes to try, since what works for some, doesn't work for others.

We have a Bosch that was higher end, bought because the upper rack adjusts and we could put our Riedl stemware in it! Works beautifully, but the dish racks are close together. We just use every other one, seems to work well.

DH is a contractor, and works a lot with a kitchen designer. He's never even considered a GE appliance for us. We do have a Kitchenaide oven, with a Viking cooktop. Both are great. And our Kitchenaide refrigerator is pretty old but still chugging, even the ice maker. Bought it at an estate sale about 15 years ago!

OK - sold - no GE
What I found Samsung 17.6 cu ft top freezer refrigerator (and the top freezer can turn into a refrigerator)
We have a large freezer in our laundry room
black stainless steel model # RT18M6213SG

And a BOSCH ASCENTA dishwasher 50dBA model # SHE3AR76UC

Am I doing good ?
Opinion of the above ?
Thank you

OK - sold - no GE
What I found Samsung 17.6 cu ft top freezer refrigerator (and the top freezer can turn into a refrigerator)

Am I doing good ?
Opinion of the above ?
Thank you
Make sure you have an appliance repair service that will work on Samsung appliances. I had a Samsung dishwasher that I had to replace because I couldn't find a company willing to repair it.

We have a Bausch dishwasher. It was cheaper model with plastic bottom stainless steel every else.
Love it, its quiet does great job. We do not go crazy with rinsing dishes prior and they come out fine.
2 and half hours but I think they are all like that now.
IMO stainless steel is better. No smell and the metal does seem to draw the water away from the glasses as it cools much quicker.

OK - sold - no GE

Am I doing good ?
Opinion of the above ?
Thank you
Honestly, I'd pass on the Samsung fridge. The reliability of their products are just not that good. I don't really know how big of a step-up it would be price-wise because things vary wildly in the US from what we pay in Canada, but if you have the budget I know you'd be happier with a Whirlpool in the long run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!