New app to report illegal parking in disabled spots

KPeveler

DIS Veteran
I found a new app for phones (I know it on Android platform, and I assume iPhone too) that is called "Parking Mobility."

It is an app that allows you to report people parked illegally to the local police using the GPS on your phone. It asks you to take a photo of the license plate, the spot (showing that it is a legally marked Disabled parking spot), and the front window, showing either no hang-tag or an expired one.

It does NOT ask for a photo of the person, and even says that if you are confronted by the person to simply leave.

It mentions in the instructions that you can leave a note in the "details" field if you "suspect wrongful use" but I obviously do not condone this. We all know there are invisible disabilities, and people can look fine but need the tag.

This app is not like traffic cameras where they mail a ticket later - my understanding is that it let's the police in the area know that someone is parked illegally, and if a cop is close, then the person gets a ticket!

I am a fan of any way we can discourage people from thinking it is okay to use the accessible parking because "they are just running in for a minute" or something else equally rude.

It also states that 20% of the ticket gets donated to "my favorite charity." I was not given an option, but I think it may be the Christopher and Dana Reeve foundation, which is fine with me. I like it even if nothing gets donated. I was just happy that there is a way for me to tell local police when I see someone parked illegally without having to call them. Maybe if enough people get ticketed, it will start happening less.

I just figured people here on this board would like the app and would also use it responsibly (like not reporting anyone who looks "healthy" or "young").

What do people think of it (if only as an idea)?

Awesome, it burns me up seeing people do that. Even before I had a son with a disability I hated seeing people do that.

I found it on the Apple store but all the reviews say it's an abandoned app; the reports don't go anywhere. I wonder how you'd even make a successful app like this. I report cars who do this anyway, but I wish it were more convenient.

I had this app and reported a few cars, but never heard anything about anyone getting a ticket or anything being given to my charity of choice. I have since unloaded it from my phone. I hope you get better luck with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter