New and seeking advise

wmarsich

Mouseketeer
I am planning on booking a land/sea package for myself, my husband, and my 5-year-old daughter. One of our largest objectives for the trip is to provide an entertaining vacation for all and to allow my husband and I to enjoy some couple time (we haven't taken a vacation away from our daughter or, for that matter, away from our extended families since she was born). We thought that the cruise part would allow us to have some of that couple time. We did go to Disney last year and stayed off-site near Universal for 4 days. We had a blast, but were exhausted from all the traveling (we drove there and back from NC). Enough background.. here are my basic questions:

* Is it better to purchase everything seperately rather than a package? From my research so far, I believe that we would prefer to stay in a catagory 6 (I smoke and would like the option of sitting on a varanda with a bottle of wine and my husband after my daughter goes to sleep).
*Are there certain areas or levels of the boat that are more desireable than others.
*I was thinking of the Polynesian or the WL (I guess you can't stay here using the package). Any thoughts or preferences?? We'll probably not do too much extra as far as activities because of the limited time we'll have.
*We have the options of going in October, January, April, or July. Is there a best time to go?
*I would really love a suite for more couple time, but don't think that we can afford this on Disney property. Should we look into more off-site properties or are the advantages for staying on-site so great that we would be making a mistake?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. This is a really big trip for us and I'm really nervous about making the reservations!

* Is it better to purchase everything seperately rather than a package? From my research so far, I believe that we would prefer to stay in a catagory 6 (I smoke and would like the option of sitting on a varanda with a bottle of wine and my husband after my daughter goes to sleep).

You can get it cheaper usually if you book it all yourself but the first time, especially with land & Sea, we did the package with air and all so we didn't have to do a thing. The only thing is that you can't pick your flight times or carrier. This time we are doing our own air.

*Are there certain areas or levels of the boat that are more desireable than others.

It just depends on your preferences. I like higher up so I don't have to go far for the pools, rest, etc, just 1 or 2 floors up or down.

*I was thinking of the Polynesian or the WL (I guess you can't stay here using the package). Any thoughts or preferences?? We'll probably not do too much extra as far as activities because of the limited time we'll have.

You'll get park passes with the land & sea package. But Poly was an option when we booked our category 4, I assume it would be with a six or maybe that is considered moderate. I understand you can always upgrade to a deluxe. The poly is a cruise line hotel, I don't think the Wilderness Lodge is.

*We have the options of going in October, January, April, or July. Is there a best time to go?

If you are talking this October, I would do that because the suspense kills me, but we went in April and it was great, as long as you are not close to Easter. July is really hot. I have heard Jan is nice but you could get some cooler weather. Overall, April would be my first choice, then October, then Jan, then July.

*I would really love a suite for more couple time, but don't think that we can afford this on Disney property. Should we look into more off-site properties or are the advantages for staying on-site so great that we would be making a mistake?

I am one that will only stay onsite so my opinion would be no but only you know what is best for your family. Now the deluxe hotels have kids clubs so you could go for a nice dinner and take her there or take her to the kids clubs on the boat some.

You will save the most money by booking the 4 night cruise by itself, then staying at the Wilderness Lodge or Polynesian, using discount codes you can find on mousesavers.com. The Land and Sea package is easy, but is not the best rates you can find for either the cruise and especially for the hotel.

If you are driving again from NC, even better. You have your car at WDW, even though you won't really need to use it, and then you can just drive to the port and park you car there. When you finish the cruise, your car is right there for the trip up I95.

October will be the cheaper. July the most expensive. If you want a verandah, they are all on levels 5, 6, and 7. The 8th floor also have verandah, but those are the family staterooms and are more than the categories 7,6 and 5. A 5 and a 6 are exactly the same, only the level they are on is different. I'd get the 6 and use the extra money for something else.

You can book it through Disney, or through a travel agent. Costco offers great prices on the cruise. So does cruise.com and lots of agencies that are mentioned here frequently. You will save money.

The Land/Sea package comes with length of stay passes. You can go anywhere while your'e there, but you are paying for the day you go to the ship....an hour or two at the most. Book it yourself and buy park hopper tickets. If you have days left over, you can use them anytime....even for one more visit to the parks after you get off the ship, if you want!

on the ship Surial Steam Bath = Couples Time

Then there is Palo if you don't mind having dinner without your little one.

There is the "secret" veranda on deck 7 aft;) . No, wait, they have security camera back there to watch for that kind of stuff now.

And you do have your own private veranda.

Thanks for all the wonderful advise! I'll have to check out that veranda on Deck 7:p What a great board! I'm hooked. I just wish that some more specials would be released by Disney soon!!! I really think that I will shoot for October, as I am getting too excited about this trip:Pinkbounc Option 6 does sound like the best as long as the verandas are open, it will work! I've asked for a quote from cruise.com! Still waiting for their reply. Thanks again! So much info!
Wendy

Wendy,
Don't forget to get a quote from Dream Unlimited, the sponsors of this board. You can also see what kind of discounts they're offering by clicking on the icon at the top of this page.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter