New AbD promotion

Maybe ADB doesn't have a large profit margin on these trips and that is why they can only offer a $100 per person discount for repeat customers. With the higher end hotels they use, many meals included, payment of two guides, and having to worry about exchange rates, there may not be a lot of room for 10% discounts. In addition to all that, there is the commission that they pay to the travel agents. I'm guessing the reason that DCL can offer 10% discounts on board is because there are many, many passengers on a cruise ship versus the 30 people on an ABD trip. In addition, people buy drinks, souvenirs, etc. on the cruise ship which is high profit. Believe me, I would really appreciate a discount for future trips once I become a repeat customer, but I'm sure there are reasons why they can't. Can you tell that I'm an Accountant?

There's a link to this offer on the main page of the ABD site now. It's up in the flash movie area of the page. It's also in the "About Us" drop-down.

Takes you to the page we've already been linked to.

Sayhello

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.

I would so love to do this!
I must admit that when I first saw ABD, my first thought was of one who has finished the coursework for a doctoral degree, but has not finished a dissertation. My husband was ABD (all but dissertation) for a year while he finished his paper.
:rolleyes: I'm such a dork!

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the responses about my first inquiry regarding recommendations for my family. We have been studying the ABD booklet, and we are now considering the Safari to South Africa. It states, "Minimum Age 6, Suggested Age 8+." My sons will be 6,7.5, and 9 yrs old next summer. For those of you that have gone, what do you think determined their minimum and recommended ages? Do you think that our youngest will be too young to enjoy?

Also, did you feel safety was ever an issue?

Thanks so much for your assistance

For the last 2 years, we've been planning an ABD Germany trip. We were a little dismayed when we saw the price jump for the 2010 trip (we had been budgeting for a small increase from the 2009 prices, but with the loss of EBD, the increase was more than small). Anyway, we decided to cancel our Christmas 2009 WDW trip and just pool the money into the Germany trip. So, I booked in August after multiple reassurances from the ABD operators that the August prices would be the "best deal." And, of course, our dates are part of this cruise deal. When I spoke to the ABD operators this a.m., they informed me they could cancel my existing reservation and rebook with the cruise offer added--all for a mere $900 cancellation fee. I'm not sure, but I think I could probably schedule a 3 day cruise for 2 adults and 1 child for not much more than that. Wow--we haven't even gotten close to the trip date yet, and I am already disappointed.

For the last 2 years, we've been planning an ABD Germany trip. We were a little dismayed when we saw the price jump for the 2010 trip (we had been budgeting for a small increase from the 2009 prices, but with the loss of EBD, the increase was more than small). Anyway, we decided to cancel our Christmas 2009 WDW trip and just pool the money into the Germany trip. So, I booked in August after multiple reassurances from the ABD operators that the August prices would be the "best deal." And, of course, our dates are part of this cruise deal. When I spoke to the ABD operators this a.m., they informed me they could cancel my existing reservation and rebook with the cruise offer added--all for a mere $900 cancellation fee. I'm not sure, but I think I could probably schedule a 3 day cruise for 2 adults and 1 child for not much more than that. Wow--we haven't even gotten close to the trip date yet, and I am already disappointed.
I do agree with you. The way ABD management has been handling the price increases, special offers, etc, for this year is shameful. Early booking really seems to have little in the way of benefit this year.

That said, PLEASE don't let the way the back office handles things affect your enjoyment of the actual tour. The guides are well aware of the discontent being expressed on these boards. But THEY GIVE GREAT TOURS ANYWAYS! The guides will bend over backwards to give you the best vacation possible. So even though you are disappointed in ABD management, don't let that color your expectations for the actual trip. The guides are pretty powerless when it comes to how you got to Germany. They can do LOADS once you get there...

Sayhello

Before the ABD offer came out, I was already booked on the 3-day Bahamas cruise for this Dec. Don't know if it will make you feel any better, but the "free" cruise definitely isn't free. For our Dec cruise, the air fare, ground transportation, taxes, and trip insurance (which I got on my own at a cheaper price than DCL) adds up to more than the price of the cruise. And that doesn't take into account tips and shore excursions. So unless you were planning to take a cruise anyway, it's not such a good deal. If I decide to book with ABD for 2010, I am going to take the loyalty discount rather than the free cruise, because the "free" cruise is just another expense. Enjoy your trip to Germany. ABD vacations really are fantastic!

Thanks for the comments. I'm really not that big of a fan of cruises anyway. I was just surprised and disappointed this a.m. No one likes to think they paid too much for anything. It makes me wonder what other incentives are in the future. So much for the early bird, huh?

Thanks for the comments. I'm really not that big of a fan of cruises anyway. I was just surprised and disappointed this a.m. No one likes to think they paid too much for anything. It makes me wonder what other incentives are in the future. So much for the early bird, huh?

I totally understand. Last year I booked the week the new itineraries came out. Got the EBD and loyalty discount and didn't have to worry about what better incentives might come out later. The thought never even occurred to me. This year, I'm afraid to book anything because I'm worried that I will regret it later. Really takes the fun out of planning a vacation.

I just spoke to ABD and have decided that next year's trip to Peru will be our last ABD. Since this company does not recognize and appreciate loyalty then I will find another company that does. BTW, the Peru trip will be our third (and last); we went to Italy this year (after having our original trip canceled) and Ireland two years ago. Since they canceled our original trip this year, and offered the Italy one (which was great), I had to miss three weeks of summer school which will impact my pension. It really cost me a lot!

The bottom line is that we booked the Peru trip on October 16th, no EBD, just decided that this looked liked a good trip and was still within our price range (just barely) for the four of us and we did have a great time in Italy.

I saw this promotion here and decided to check out ABD's website and the Peru tour we booked is listed. So I called; can't offer the trip to us because we are entitled to the $100 loyalty discount and, therefore, cannot be eligible for this one.

THIS IS HOW THEY REPAY LOYALTY. This will be our last trip with ABD; there are plenty of other tours out there who will appreciate our patronage and money.

I don't understand their thinking; it just does not make good business to me!
:confused3

I'm not sure about the price of the Peru trip, but I know my price increased $190 per person since the day I booked it in September. For me, I'd rather save the $380 than go on a "free" cruise. My trip date wasn't listed on available dates anyways, but I'd probably still have done the Adults Only without the free cruise even if it was offered at that time (and I love cruises). If I was a repeat customer, I would have definitely preferred the extra $100 savings also. I'm sure ABD has their reasons why they will not offer the loyalty discount and the cruise together, but I'm not sure this would deter me from ever booking with ABD again. If these tours are as wonderful as everyone claims they are (and by all the reviews and pictures, I'm sure they are), I'm not sure it is worth leaving ABD out of the picture for future trips just because you missed out on an opportunity for a "free" cruise. Just my opinion.

Understand what you are saying; however, it was a total lack of willingness on the part of ABD that I was trying to convey. We are "loyal" followers of ABD, having gone to Ireland in 2007 and then having booked again in 2009. That our original 2009 trip was canceled was a result of the economy, I understand that. What I have a problem with understanding is how it can be said that since you got $100 off because you are repeat clients then you cannot have another promotion that is being offered to other adventurers. I am not a mathematician; just wonder what percentage this $100 loyalty amount to. The cost of a three-day cruise cannot be extremely high; I hope it is worth it to them.

It would seem to me that ABD would be willing to ensure client loyalty; and this would be one way. The cost of these tours are getting so pricey that middle-class Americans, like myself and family, are having to look at all the aspects of any trips that we take. Businesses that don't appreciate loyalty is one of the aspects that is viewed.

I hope I made my point. ABD is great, but from what I have seen and talked with from other friends, that there are tour groups out there that are equally nice and perhaps they will value repeat customers with the incentives that they offer.:surfweb:

Understand what you are saying; however, it was a total lack of willingness on the part of ABD that I was trying to convey. We are "loyal" followers of ABD, having gone to Ireland in 2007 and then having booked again in 2009. That our original 2009 trip was canceled was a result of the economy, I understand that. What I have a problem with understanding is how it can be said that since you got $100 off because you are repeat clients then you cannot have another promotion that is being offered to other adventurers. I am not a mathematician; just wonder what percentage this $100 loyalty amount to. The cost of a three-day cruise cannot be extremely high; I hope it is worth it to them.

It would seem to me that ABD would be willing to ensure client loyalty; and this would be one way. The cost of these tours are getting so pricey that middle-class Americans, like myself and family, are having to look at all the aspects of any trips that we take. Businesses that don't appreciate loyalty is one of the aspects that is viewed.

I hope I made my point. ABD is great, but from what I have seen and talked with from other friends, that there are tour groups out there that are equally nice and perhaps they will value repeat customers with the incentives that they offer.:surfweb:

I had previously asked this question and I haven't gotten an answer but maybe your will know what if any offers other companies have for returning customers. I know Austin-lehman, at least I thinki it was that company offers discounts to returning customers but there trips maybe first class it is not my style of travel other than that I haven't heard of any others.

I had previously asked this question and I haven't gotten an answer but maybe your will know what if any offers other companies have for returning customers. I know Austin-lehman, at least I thinki it was that company offers discounts to returning customers but there trips maybe first class it is not my style of travel other than that I haven't heard of any others.

I have seen offers from Thomson for past guests of $500 off per child, $1000 off per adult and 10% off. These were on specific trips and not just returning guests in general. They have a guy on their staff whose job title is "Family Travel Advisor - Alumni" and he describes his job as "caring for our past guests". So I'm thinking they treat their previous clients a little better than ABD does. Actually, in dealings with them as a non-client they have treated me better than ABD does. Of course, I mean the business side of ABD, not the guides. I love the guides.

Yes, I have to say the guides are terrific.

As mentioned previously, we are booked on the Peru trip for next August and hope that it will be terrific since it is our last. Good to leave with great memories.

KayGuidance, I tend to agree with you that the loyalty discount should be above and beyond any discount or incentive that is offered to the general public, especially since the amount is so insignificant. ABD already set the precedent by combining the EBD and loyalty discount last year. What I really question though is why is there an end date of Nov 30 attached to the loyalty discount? Why shouldn't we be able to get the discount if we book later. I think the loyalty discount is just an attempt to get people who are likely to book a trip anyway to book earlier rather than later. It's not a show of gratitude for past patronage. I understand this is a business and their goal is to make as much money as possible, but they are dealing with human beings who like to be treated as valued customers. The email they sent out announcing the loyalty discount tried to make it sound like we have a close personal relationship, like we are family - but, apparently, we are only family until Nov 30.

Yup--only family until 11/30 and then only a little bit of family since we are not favored enough to get a cruise.

The situation really makes you think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter