NEW 15th DVC hotel~ Riviera Resort/ Gondola~ Will there be air conditioning debate

My next thought is that it's a car full of hot people, the door opens and more hot air rushes in, the glass transfers heat, the AC lowers the temp a few degrees and the door opens again. :cold:

Guess we will see.

:earsboy: Bill
That sounds like a description of the monorail (except the part about cooling down a few degrees)

Folks, I know most of you don't know Martin over at WDWMagic, but if he says the plan for now is to not provide AC, then that's the current plan. Could it change? Sure. But, it sounds like it won't based on what he wrote.

Looking at the picture Disney provided in the preview you can see on the upper left an handle that looks like it can be used to open the upper portion of the window and on the upper right something that looks like a grate to let air in.
Unfortunately it looks like no AC.

Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_30591.jpg

Looking at the picture Disney provided in the preview you can see on the upper left an handle that looks like it can be used to open the upper portion of the window and on the upper right something that looks like a grate to let air in.
Unfortunately it looks like no AC.

Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_30591.jpg

What concerns me about this picture is that IMHO it looks too cartoon-y, too small, and too much like the old gondolas at MK to be "real" as far as the new project goes. And of course there's the disclaimer in the lower left, "Artist concept only." Yes, maybe they'll look like this, but maybe they won't - we have to wait and see. It's not unusual for the "artist concept" to look a great deal different from the final product.

My next thought is that it's a car full of hot people, the door opens and more hot air rushes in, the glass transfers heat, the AC lowers the temp a few degrees and the door opens again. :cold:

Guess we will see.

It looks like Doppelmayr has the gondola contract. They built the cable train in universal that has AC.
AC systems in vehicles are much more powerful than stationary systems. They have to be due to glass, no insulation, black top location and hot engine near by. All my vehicles AC work great, knock on wood.

Last edited:
Folks, I know most of you don't know Martin over at WDWMagic, but if he says the plan for now is to not provide AC, then that's the current plan. Could it change? Sure. But, it sounds like it won't based on what he wrote.
If that's true that's some oceanic depth stupidity on Disneys part. Who will want to ride in a sweat box like that?!

If that's true that's some oceanic depth stupidity on Disneys part. Who will want to ride in a sweat box like that?!

People complain about the monorail interior odor... imagine how the gondolas will smell after a few months.

People complain about the monorail interior odor... imagine how the gondolas will smell after a few months.

They sure do smell, but if the gondolas don't have a/c, then they will have a good constant supply of fresh air, something the monorail doesn't have. I'm hoping for a/c.

this should be the "Gondola air conditioning thread"

If it is open that will be just lovely for the afternoon thunder storms.:sad2:

They sure do smell, but if the gondolas don't have a/c, then they will have a good constant supply of fresh air, something the monorail doesn't have. I'm hoping for a/c.

The law states max temperature for transporting farm animals is 86F. Children in daycare is 82F. You can't lower air temperature with only a fan.
When ambient air temperature hits 100F+ with 10 people enclosed in a cabin...it's not safe.

The law states max temperature for transporting farm animals is 86F. Children in daycare is 82F. You can't lower air temperature with only a fan.
When ambient air temperature hits 100F+ with 10 people enclosed in a cabin...it's not safe.

Good thing that guests aren't farm animals or children in daycare! :thumbsup2

I can't imagine Disney not putting air conditioning in these gondolas. On a hot summer day in Florida nobody will want to get in these. Disney would have thousands of hot and angry guests. I believe that the powers that be at Disney are wiser than that. I don't care who is reporting it...these will be climate controlled...somehow....errr...I hope!

Imagine how bad they will smell if you get stuck onboard with someone that had a large chilidog for lunch as begins to feel a rumbling and decides to vent some of his own odor into the gondola. That would be tower of terror for sure.

How many times have you encountered monorail trains stopped on track for technical reasons for over 10 minutes? The same thing often happens with most gondola systems in operation.

Disney will definitely make headlines news worldwide if they trapped passengers in a glass box without AC for more than 10 minutes and people die from overheating. They simply cannot take that risk... So why would there not be any AC? I would not get in one of them if there is no AC, because if it is stuck in mid air, then you will most likely die. I am not taking any chance.

Regardless of what they decide, Disney and the Gondola company both have a stake in this, a track record that's pretty decent and they've certainly vetted this thoroughly. It may not be ideal but I'm confident it'll be reasonable and workable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!