NEW 15th DVC hotel~ Riviera Resort/ Gondola~ Will there be air conditioning debate

I don't see how they would pick up the power required to run AC. The cars are attached to a non powered cable. Interior lighting could be LED run by solar panels and a battery in each car but adding AC would be very expensive.

:earsboy: Bill

They will have air conditioning. A roller generator can easily supply power to each cabin.

I say 8-10 people and no a/c and 6 ways to enter/exit, but only three lines (so it is not possible to ride from DSH to Epcot and that means that AOA will have to get off and switch gondolas every time they ride. It is interesting that they put it on the south side of AOA/Pop.

I am excited about the new resort. What I would personally love to see there is rooms that cost a low amount of points per night. Since it's connected to a moderate, just make is less points per night, problem solved.

Also they will hopefully have 1 bedrooms that sleep 5 and 2 bedrooms that sleep 9.
I love a dreamer....
Seriously, points per night will be on a par with Poly or maybe VGF, and we will see $200 a point eventually on this sale is my prediction. And people will still buy. Oh well, it should push up my SSR resale value a little bit more and I may stay in 2020.

So much to think about!
* Gondolas will have air conditioning. If AC in Gondolas hadn't been invented yet, Disney would invent it before committing to Gondolas. Too much liability without.
* CBR/POP/AOA do not make the Riviera any less Deluxe than than Swan/Dolphin do to the YC/BC. Walking over to eat at the restaurant is not significant just like Dolphin guests eating at Beaches and Cream don't take away from the value of BWV/BCV.
* This will not be low points per night or a cheaper buy-in. With Star Wars coming, Epcot overhaul, and non-bus transport to 2 parks the Riviera will sell faster than Poly/CC at an equal or higher price. This is more attractive than the previous 2 offerings because the Poly lacks the 1B/2Bs and CC lacks the location.
* It would not be any more foolish to buy Riviera than to buy any other DVC resort.
* The big losers here are BWV and BCV. What they share with the Riviera/AOA/CBR/POP that matters -- is the IG. Effectively the BWV/BCV/Riviera are now all adjacent to the "Gondola Resorts" for purposes of getting thru the IG. IG sure to be upgraded to accommodate but expect 3x crowds here eventually. BWV/BCV gain almost nothing from the Gondola, as this is all about getting other resorts the benefits that used to be exclusive to the EC resorts.
* The big winners are POP/AOA/CBR -- gaining a neat transport method with no downside except a higher price point. POP will cost significantly more than AS resorts now. If you were a POP fan to begin with, this is a big win for you. Larger families win too as the AOA is one of your few options and it's now a lot cooler. CBR is the biggest winner, being at the hub of the gondolas they can take a single-leg gondola ride to either park. If CBR was your place it will be more awesome now!

We're really interested in the Riviera and will certainly stay here at some point. For us to buy in, I'd want to see that the feature pool turns out awesome, the gondolas prove to be an efficient and enjoyable means of getting around, and it has a fun Riviera feel.

Last edited:
@pdude81, thanks for the link! Very interesting and also gives me hope that the gondolas will indeed have AC. When we're out of points we like to stay at Pop, so I'm following all discussions re the gondolas.

If Disney can't make the monorails AC provide cold air and they have direct access to a high voltage buss, I don't think that the skyliner AC if provided will provide much comfort.

If Disney can't make the monorails AC provide cold air and they have direct access to a high voltage buss, I don't think that the skyliner AC if provided will provide much comfort.

Monorail is 40 year old tech. Very few of the upgrades since really address that. There's not been a major equipment redesign in that time (basically, going from the track compatibility and rebuilding everything else).

Gondolas with AC are already in existence. Doppelmayr did a significant one in Macau with A/C. There's no reason, save cheaping out on a long-term transport investment, Disney couldn't do A/C on gondolas.

I say 8-10 people and no a/c and 6 ways to enter/exit, but only three lines (so it is not possible to ride from DSH to Epcot and that means that AOA will have to get off and switch gondolas every time they ride. It is interesting that they put it on the south side of AOA/Pop.

Have you ever been in Florida during an august heat wave? Then enter an enclosure with 8-10 people emitting additional body heat who have spent all day in a theme park trying to maximize a days admission with tired kids....no AC in the cabin? It wouldn't be the happiest place on earth.

With the way Florida weather is, there is no way the gondola cars will be open air in any way. That and there would be so much liability from idiots tossing things out.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't matter as I ain't getting in the dang thing.

I am basing my opinion on typical ski gondolas. They do not have a/c and they have vents at the top to let in air but not convenient for people to trow stuff out. I do HOPE the Disney versions include a/c, but I would not be surprised if they do not. Also, if the glass is plastic, then they get scratched up and distort the view with wear and tear.

I am basing my opinion on typical ski gondolas. They do not have a/c and they have vents at the top to let in air but not convenient for people to trow stuff out. I do HOPE the Disney versions include a/c, but I would not be surprised if they do not. Also, if the glass is plastic, then they get scratched up and distort the view with wear and tear.

If a ski resort temperature got hot enough for AC, the snow would melt and no one would be riding the gondola. In Florida during summer months, it would be unsafe to enclose people in a cabin without a way to control air temperature. You have to design systems for the worse case scenario.
Then again, I could be wrong. Disney improperly sized HVAC system for some of the most expensive rooms at the Poly. When you rely on subcontractors, you might get a good price for a system that falls short during peak loads

If a ski resort temperature got hot enough for AC, the snow would melt and no one would be riding the gondola. In Florida during summer months, it would be unsafe to enclose people in a cabin without a way to control air temperature. You have to design systems for the worse case scenario.
Then again, I could be wrong. Disney improperly sized HVAC system for some of the most expensive rooms at the Poly. When you rely on subcontractors, you might get a good price for a system that falls short during peak loads

Gondolas are used at resorts other than ski resorts. I keep referencing the one in Macau. AC is a must there!

This is a case where it will be very hard to fix this later if they don't do it right up front. I don't think forced air is a great solution due to bugs, and also due to wetness. Recent weather has not been bad enough that they'd have to shut down gondola, but would be a disaster for forced air.

Gondolas are used at resorts other than ski resorts. I keep referencing the one in Macau. AC is a must there!

This is a case where it will be very hard to fix this later if they don't do it right up front. I don't think forced air is a great solution due to bugs, and also due to wetness. Recent weather has not been bad enough that they'd have to shut down gondola, but would be a disaster for forced air.

I agree, it would cost much more if it's not in the original design. One way to provide power to a moving gondola is to add a fixed stationary support cable. The fixed cable would act as a safety support and also provide a drive mechanism to a gearbox. The gearbox would turn a generator and/or AC compressor similar to automobile. The AC system would be very similar to a bus. The power would be low voltage with battery back up. Siemens would be great choice for the system.

I don't see how they would pick up the power required to run AC. The cars are attached to a non powered cable. Interior lighting could be LED run by solar panels and a battery in each car but adding AC would be very expensive.

The have AC and heat in the London gondolas.

http://gondolaproject.com/2012/09/12/how-londons-emirates-air-line-cable-car-powers-cabins/

So how do cabins get power?

First off, definitely not from the small solar panels seen on the roof of some gondolas. Since gondola cabins aren’t connected to a power source, heating and cooling, etc, is not as straight forward as say, in a subway. But this doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

Last week an article came out about how the Emirates Air Line cable car in London utilizes ultracapacitors to provide power to each cabin. So there we go, voilá.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter