Never tell me the odds - My Journey from Couch to Light Side 1/2 Marathon 2018!

Not to interrupt your training blog here, but I do have a question for anyone who may be following along...my next purchase is going to be a sports bra...if anyone has a good recommendation, would love to know. I tried on a few at the running store, but they were crazy-expensive $50+ so I wanted to do a little research before I took the leap. One of the brands/versions the lady mentioned was something Juno? Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, is it worth the $50+ price tag. The one I tried on was like playing Twister trying to get myself all holstered in it. But, if it works, I'm willing to spend the money. Although, I'd much prefer a simpler version...ahem...so that I can attempt my run/walks at lunchtime when I have an hour to myself and a wonderful scenic view of the DC landmarks to keep my mind occupied.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated! Happy training to all of you. :)
Moving Comfort Juno?

I use Victoria's Secret VSX bras - I think mine is The Incredible. One of the only sports bras I could find that's a racer back. :confused3 A good bra IS worth the money but I'd recommend buying one, running in that and seeing what you think before buying more (I bought a bunch awhile back, took the tags off and then turns out I didn't actually like them - so I had some never-used bras that I couldn't return :headache:).

I've been fighting a head cold this week so not as much training. Felt better today so I decided to do some knee strengthening and inclines... I climbed the smallest of our mountains just overlooking town. Yikes! It was 452 stairs plus some straightaway boardwalk to the top and the same coming back down. I think it was a bit much to take on after being sick, and there was a moment or two that I just wanted to roll my way back down, but I felt great once I finished it. And the view from the top is spectacular!

Dewey 2017.04.15.jpeg

Also following. I've done C25k twice now (once to start running, once to ease my joints back in to it post-pregnancy) and have only fabulous things to say. I used to text my DH pictures of the completed screen when I was done with each run, and found that really motivating. Good luck!

Wow! That pic is priceless! I def want to visit Alaska someday!

How is everybody's training going? I'm so happy you kept on it and made it to the top to see that beautiful view! That is totally motivating. Way to go, especially not feeling 100%! Keep up the excellent work!

Training for me is coming along, but I'm not liking these new blisters. The Balega socks DO help, but I guess I need to keep a few spare pairs at the office. Comfortably ran/walked nearly three miles twice this weekend and improved my pace a bit. I bought the Galloway interval thing and it's been helpful to me so far. So, I'm happy about that. But, I do notice some soreness in my muscles that (obviously) haven't been worked in forever - LOL.

Is anybody doing the virtual shorts? Our family is planning to do the series. First one is in June and I can't wait.

I'm also nervously waiting for the 10k sign-ups for the Princess weekend...I really hope I can snag a bib.

Good luck DisPals. Hope you all have a happy day!!!!

So I have finished 2 5Ks so far this summer. I'm working on pacing at a 15 minute mile by July 1st so that I can work on the 10K at a 15 minute mile for BearFest in August.

However, this last weekend I realized that a lot of the time it is not about PRs and time. I signed up to do the Girls on the Run 5K locally and be a running buddy for one of the girls. If you don't know, Girls on the Run is a program for elementary girls to get them more active and outside. At the end of the school year they do a big 5K and party to celebrate their achievements. I was hoping to match up with a youngster that would run/walk and, like I said, I was trying to pace a 15 minute mile. However, on arriving the director told me that she had a 4th grader who needs a buddy instead. She has asthma and will mostly likely walk the course with small bits of fast walking or jogging. While I was disappointed at first to not pace what I wanted, I realized that this girl needed encouragement and a partner. We walked and talked and set mini goals of "fastwalking" from one telephone pole to the next. Along the way she started getting discouraged that she was going to be the last and wasn't as fast as the others. I told her that it didn't matter if she was the fastest. It mattered that she was doing it and that we were going to finish! It was a moment of clarity because I myself have felt the same way before. I stayed with her the whole way and made sure that she was not going to be the last to cross the finish line.

When people told me that half marathons are far more mental training than physical training, I never really thought that was accurate, but I am seeing that it is. It is learning that I am going to finish regardless of if I am the last one or not. Good training moments!! :)

Picture1.jpg Picture1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!