Never rented a car before, how confusing is it leaving MCO and driving around WDW ?

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
I have always used mears or town car, but this trip I have been considering renting a car. I have never driven in Orlando, is it easy getting out of the airport. Also what about getting around Disney property? I really never paid attention before as we have used the Disney transportation.

Wish I could be of some help, but I'm in the same boat you are, so I'd be interested in what people say. I did however go to mapquest and get directions to our hotel.......but I would feel better if I could take some back roads, I'm not real comfortable with highways.............so I'd appreciate some feedback on this subject myself.

Kim

I lived in Orlando in 1995. I found it to be one of the easiest cities To find your way around in. The nice part is that I-4 cuts it in half diagonally northeast to southwest and most major roads interesct it at some point. Disney is another matter as far as ease of driving as I don't think there is a straight road anywhere in the resort, but they have excellent transportation maps available everywhere.
If you like to explore, get a car and have a blast.

Dennis

It's very easy. My husband is horrible with directions and we haven't managed to get lost yet! After a few days you will even be able to get around the resort without following the signs; we find that many times the signs will lead you in a round about way.

We rent a car and never have had a problem. Of course I have been going to WDW and driving there for years... Most of Orlando is pretty well marked on directions to get to and from Disney World, the airport, etc.. Disney World has a lot of signage as well telling you what area you want to be in.

For me, personally, I would never go to Orlando without renting a car. But I like the freedom of being to go off property and drive where ever I want to go...

As for getting out of the airport, it's very easy. There will be a sign for the north exit and the south exit. One will say Disney and the other will say Universal along with a few other places. If you make a mistake and get on the wrong one, the parks are only about 15 to 20 minutes apart depending on traffic, and there are plenty of billboards to direct you. Driving in Disney is fairly easy to get the hang of after a few days.

I've always rented cars when we visit and never had any problems getting around. The roads are well marked and in fact we travel all around the Orlando area. You should'nt have any problems.:bounce: :bounce:

I always rent from National. The first time I asked for directions and they gave me a card with specific directions to my resort. It was spelled out very clear. We always use the south exit out of the airport to the FL Greenway (417). Just follow the signs.

As for WDW itself, take a look at a guidebook or map before you go. There are 4 main roads that form a square - World Drive, Buena Vista Drive, Bonnet Creek Parkway and Vista Blvd. If you learn those, the rest is easy! :cool: I'm not good with directions and after a short time it seemed like I lived there forever!

DebbieB is right, we always use the south exit(417-Greenway). If you use the north exit to Interstate 4, the traffic can be backed up at certain times.
But for getting around WDW, it is pretty easy if you stay on the 4 main roads DebbieB mentioned. We alawys rent at National also(Emarald Aisle) and they have maps for you to take you rught to WDW.:D

Ditto the Greenway in getting from airport to WDW. Just be aware it's a toll road--.
As for getting around WDW, it isn't too confusing and in a few days you'll be able to get around pretty easily w/o checking the signs.
Two observations--when a Disney sign says "Next Right" it means just that. Several of the "next rights" are almost on top of the sign.
And expect no mercy from the "locals" on WDW property. You will be tailgated and honked at (and also given a few other reminders) that you are going too slow to suit them. This is not unlike anywhere else, I guess--but I always imagined there would be more road courtesy at WDW.
Anyway--I think you'll be fine with your rental car and will come to appreciate having it!!

Thank you for your help!
I have a horrible sense of direction and was concerned about driving but I want to go to IOA and get to some of the hotels for dinners so we can see some of the Christmas decorations. I may get a little confused but it does sound like I am worried over nothing.
Thanks again

One thing you must understand when driving around Disney property is that everything is arranged in "Areas". Normally the "Area" sign will be the first one you see, perhaps followed by a details sign (indicating what in in that area).

An example - we always stay at OKW, which is in the DownTown Disney Resort area. The first time we went, we saw the sign that said DownTown Disney Resort area, we didn't know that OKW was in the DownTown Disney Resort area. The sign that followed did have OKW on it (and a bunch of other resorts), but there were so many resorts listed that we missed seeing OKW, and missed the exit. Not a problem, we just took the next one and drove around a bit.

So, figure out what Resort Area you are staying at, and look for THAT sign first. It should be one of the following:

Downtown Disney Resort Area
Epcot Resort Area
Magic Kingdom Resort Area
Animal Kingdom Resort Area

Not sure if there are any others. I don't think MGM has a resort area becuase it's so close to the Epcot resorts, but I can't remember for sure.

But other than that, the signage is pretty good, and you shouldn't have any problems. The best map I've found (and I looked at a LOT of maps!!) for getting around (driving) is the Disney Transporatation map that you get when you check in.

Here's a link to a good property map:

Disney Property map

Have a great time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter