Never been to DL. Question regarding costumes.

MRG2005

Earning My Ears
We are taking our granddaughters (ages 6 and 4) to DL next month. We've never been before but heard that little ones dress up in princess costumes for some of the events. Is that true? If so, what events? Also, if this is true, do the majority of the little ones dress up? They have princess costumes but I really don't want to take the dresses. However, I don't want them to feel out of place either.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

I've noticed that quite a few little girls wear princess dresses for the day. I don't know if they may have been to the Princess Character Breakfast in Disneyland or if they are just going that way for the day. It's not a huge number of little girls, but enough so that your granddaughters will notice, and then they may wish they could also dress up one day. Most of the girls I notice are in the 2-5 year old range.

I'm going with my granddaughters this year, too, (they will be 3 and 18 months) and I've been thinking about this, too.

Last November, we saw the cutest thing happen. We were in DCA, near the Animation building and a little girl was wearing a Cinderella outfit. Suddenly, the "real" Cinderella came walking by and saw the little girl. She knelt down to her and started talking to her about her outfit and how they looked alike, etc. The little girl was in awe!

I wouldn't say it's a huge number of kids in princess costumes....you will see maybe a couple a day and that is all. Yea, the kids will notice, but as I always point out to my kids..."Aren't you glad that YOU are in COMFORTABLE clothes all day instead of dragging all those layers around w/you."

Also, unless the costumes are for tossing after the trip, I would not bring them...my kids get dirty at DL climbing on Tom Sawyer's Island, eating Mickey bars and generally being kids...I would hate to have to spend the day trying to protect a $50 costume (that I might point out are not made for endurance, if you know what I mean).

What we do instead:
We buy the Rayon Hawaiian shirts from Disney store for everyone and we all match, are cool and comfy and can MOVE about! We get lots of attention from the characters in our matching stuff and still can have a decent day.

Yes some kids dress up in Disney "costumes" But unless your little one really wants to, then I would skip it. Most of those costumes could be very unconfrontable & Itchy (not to mention expensive).

Thanks so much for the information! Now I can stop worrying about it. We'll get the girls next weekend and then leave two weeks after that. Can't wait! I'm as excited as they are!

I saw a number of little girls in costume at WDW, but it never bothered my daughter that she didn't have one. The only time I felt it was really noticeable is at the princess character breakfasts, when the majority of the little girls had them on. I imagine it's similar at DL.

We went to the breakfasts twice. One year, i just dressed her in a princess tshirt and let her wear a crown. She was more than happy with that. Another year, I had a her wear a Cinderella dress, which was actually a nightgown, and we just changed her in the restroom before leaving the breakfast. It served its purpose and was compact enough to fold up in my bag. Have fun!

CJDrew's Mom

We were there mid april, and did not take a princess dress. My dd almost 5 didn't seem to mind. I did take a cute cotton sundress (with bike shorts underneath) for her to wear the day we did the princess breakfast and one of her many crowns. She was happy with that. The whole dress thing would just be too uncomfortable and a hassle.

My 3 year has a few of these costumes and although we took them with us on the trip she never asked to wear them to the park nor said anything about some others her age wearing them at DL. I would guess perhaps 1/4 of girls ages 3 to 6 were wearing them.

I have a friend who lives in Phoenix and goes to DL quite often. She says that if your daughter wears a Snow White costume to the Snow White show, you get to sit in the front row. Don't know if that's worth it to you or not. My 8 year old has decided she's too old for all that, so we don't have to worry about it this summer.

My daughter almost always wears a princess dress into DL. I always carry a back pack so I bring shorts and a tee shirt just in case, but so far she has never been too hot or uncomfortable. She also wears them around town on random days, so she knows which ones are more comfortable.

Every trip she has had a huge fuss made over her by whatever charecter she is dressed up as. She has been picked to hold Minnie's hand to open toon town (wearing minnie dress and hat), been put in special seats, in short been treated like a princess. I have some great pictures from our various trips. She is shy too, but she loves the special attention she gets.

She is almost too old, I think this next trip will be the last time she wears a princess dress into DL. Oh and they wash really well, all of hers look great and have been washed many times.

In case you didn't know this there are park exclusive dresses that you can only buy in DL or DTD. The are expensive but every now and then one of those dresses is really fantastic. Most of the time they aren't nice enough to pay the price ($50 I think). We buy most of ours on special around halloween.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter