Never been solo before! Tips?

5 AM flight, straight to MK, evening EMH until 1 am, I think. I'm going to try to nap before the dessert party.

That's just the 1st of 8 consecutive park days. Ha!

Something I'm trying to do for myself is build in expectations of rest--in the past I've been really commando at Disney, and in the past I've always gotten sick from the trip. That didn't happen in Disneyland when I had my housemate with me demanding that we take breaks and take naps--I came back from that trip perfectly healthy! I also had more stamina for the time we did spend in the parks.

I've set a rule for myself that every day I need to start late, start early but take a break, or start early but leave the parks early in the evening (that last one's probably never going to happen tbh; that's just not my style). I also have a day scheduled mid-trip when I'm deliberately scheduling my ADR and FP+ with the expectation that I'm going to sleep in and won't be in the parks until at least lunchtime. So I would not say no to a first day like yours! I'd just build in time the next day (or the day after next at the latest) for some catch-up sleep.

I’m taking my first solo trip this early December. I will be in Orlando for a work conference and will be able to go to the parks in the evening.

I had something similar last December where I stayed for a few days after a conference and went the parks (full days) and more recently in June (just evenings) once the conference started at the Swan and Dolphin.

December was a great time to go. It was my first time at Epcot so the addition of the Christmas stories at the different country pavilions was nice. I definitely recommend doing some of the table service restaurants even if you are solo. I have good memories of Hollywood Brown Derby, Sanaa, Liberty Tree Tavern and Le Cellier and even some of the character meals like Tusker House and Garden Grill with the cast members being great (my one regret is not getting the name of the cast member at Tusker House who stepped in and took some photos of me and the characters for #CastCompliment).

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party was also a lot of fun though it made for a very long day (PPO at BOG through to the end of the party with a short break in the middle of the day to dry off after getting caught in a torrential downpour that morning in which I thought "I can't possibly get any wetter than this" at least 3 times... leaning into the initial start of the rain on Splash Mountain, sitting under a canopy spout on Jungle Cruise as it started to get heavier, and then getting caught in a downpour walking by the castle... so, yeah... maybe pack a poncho, though there was less rain in December than in June).

Doing the conference and evenings this past June, I overbooked myself. My wife was able to come down for the Friday to Tuesday morning so we had some full days in the park together (workshop on Sunday so just the evening together in Epcot that day) and then 4 evenings and Saturday morning on my own where I bought tickets for Villains After Hours for the Thursday and HS After Hours for the Friday. With the parks closing a bit earlier in December, I actually had a better experience for the solo part because I wasn't pushing myself to try and get every possible minute of Disney time in the same way. Or I was, but there weren't as many available minutes which provided a better balance. I think I'm trying to say something that involves flowers, slowing down and either smelling or eating said flowers (still thinking about some of those table service meals... cheddar cheese soup and pretzel bread... oh my).

There's a lot of stuff that's just a blur from those two trips, but also some really great moments that stand out from when I was able to slow down a bit and appreciate where I was at. I think I'm just getting to the point where I don't feel like every trip is going to be my last trip, so I'm hoping that I'll start to be a bit better about finding those moments and hoping that you have a chance to find some of your own this December.

Good for you!!!! This is exciting, have a great time, and do all the things kids/ or husband don't like doing and may complain a bit when you drag them to those certain attractions! :) Eat where YOU want. Hopefully you have a nice relaxing/ magical trip even if you have to have a little work thrown in!

For some reason some restaurants will show no availability if you try to book for a party of one but will have times for two. You can book for two then just explain at the check in kiosk. You won’t be charged a no-show fee.

It’s much, much easier to grab 4th, 5th, 6th FPs for one. Take advantage of it!

It’s also easier to slip into the shows last minute if you’re solo.

For some reason some restaurants will show no availability if you try to book for a party of one but will have times for two. You can book for two then just explain at the check in kiosk. You won’t be charged a no-show fee.

It’s much, much easier to grab 4th, 5th, 6th FPs for one. Take advantage of it!

It’s also easier to slip into the shows last minute if you’re solo.

I forgot about this-good tip! Besides, maybe you'll meet someone in line or on the bus that you'd like to invite to share a meal with you. I always think that maybe someday DH will show up to surprise me. Hasn't happened yet, so I always just say at check in, "Just me today."

Im just back from my annual solo visit to Disneyland, this s my trip report https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...any-firsts-mixed-with-old-favourites.3758518/

1. pick restaurants based on menu and budget, dont be stressing about being solo and taking up a table from a family
  2. use single rider lines and fastpasses as much as you can
  3. if you enjoy a ride, then do it multiple times in a row
  4. enjoy the freedom to speed walk around slow moving families and groups and weave through crowds, you dont have to walk at the same speed as everyone when you are on your own
  5. when in a regular standby line and near the ride loading area, listen to the loading CM's, often times they will call out for single riders to fill up space in the ride cars or boats.
  6. when waiting in line chat to people, it passes the and often you can pick up hints and tips

Don’t use Fastpass on rides with Single Rider. Single Rider at Everest is WDW’s best kept secret.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter