Neuro atypical vacationer

Thanks for being such an advocate for disabled persons!

My brother adores Disney and has been the CA and FL parks multiple times. Each trip we learn more about the logistics, what his triggers are, etc. He might need a bit more "time off" than others but if all he wanted was peace and quiet, we wouldn't be planning another Disney trip.
If you've been there before, where did you stay all the other times? Staying wherever that was is the easiest solution.

Just throwing this out as an option, have you priced out 2 rooms at a moderate? It wouldn't have an interior hallway (with exception of the new tower at CSR)

Port Orleans French Quarter is pretty low key, as is Port Orleans Riverside. You could book 2 rooms and make connecting the ONLY request.

If I were planning the trip, the question of the legality for him to possess it during travel and in FL would be my first concern. As a heavy user, I can't imagine that your brother would want/be able to quit for the duration of the stay. If that's the reality, Disney rooms are ruled out. You're risking criminal charges for him and anyone in his room because they take everyone in and sort it out, later. Hopefully you'll be able to address that after looking at the suggested link.

I don't know of any on-site resorts that will have a 24 hour store. I know the Boardwalk is across the street from a Speedway gas station which I believe is 24 hours. Also, Saratoga Springs is walking distance to Disney Springs via a pathway, and Disney Springs is open late which may provide another safe space for him to walk.

Does he have a prescription from a Fl Doctor? Also, Disney would probably not allow him to use on property.

You can now legally smoke medical marijuana in Florida ...

"Qualifying patients have the right to use the form of medical marijuana for treatment," the ruling states.

After the announcement, the Florida Department of Health filed an appeal of the ruling.

The department of health released the following statement to ABC Action News:

"This ruling goes against what the legislature outlined when they wrote and approved Florida’s law to implement the constitutional amendment that was approved by an overwhelmingly bipartisan majority. The department has appealed the ruling and the appeal imposes an automatic stay."

Does he have a prescription from a Fl Doctor? Also, Disney would probably not allow him to use on property.

You can now legally smoke medical marijuana in Florida ...

"Qualifying patients have the right to use the form of medical marijuana for treatment," the ruling states.

After the announcement, the Florida Department of Health filed an appeal of the ruling.

The department of health released the following statement to ABC Action News:

"This ruling goes against what the legislature outlined when they wrote and approved Florida’s law to implement the constitutional amendment that was approved by an overwhelmingly bipartisan majority. The department has appealed the ruling and the appeal imposes an automatic stay."
Not on Disney property.

I'm going to disagree with others about renting points. If your brother is going to be smoking and breaking rules in that way, it isn't fair to put the owner of those points in a bad position with Disney if he gets caught.

Where have you stayed on other trips?

I'm going to disagree with others about renting points. If your brother is going to be smoking and breaking rules in that way, it isn't fair to put the owner of those points in a bad position with Disney if he gets caught.

Where have you stayed on other trips?
I totally agree about renting points. And I would HATE to be the person spending money/points to stay in that Villa after.
@CaelanAegana Are you still here? Lots of folks have asked you question which you have not answered. Do you have a plan yet?

I agree with the other posters about the "pharmaceuticals" being a huge issue as rules have changed at WDW since you've last visited. I'm not sure about a 24-hour "convenience-type" store either. As far as quiet location during the day, he should be fine as long as you don't book a pool-view room. Another concern for me is your brother's potential need to walk during the night, pacing isn't a problem if he is in the room. I could see this as a potential problem also, as it's probably not a good idea to be wandering around the property alone during the night. Just remember that renting points would most likely involve paying for the entire rental price at booking, with no ability to modify or cancel.

I would definitely price two moderate rooms ( our favorites are Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado due to lush settings) and request connecting. They won’t guarantee connecting rooms but they do try.

Also, historically, Disney has offered discounted dining the first couple months of the year. That is no way a guarantee of future offers but Disney has announced a discount for UK guests and historically, an offer follows for US guests.

In regards to a slow season, with Disney opening Star Wars this later this year, it’s likely attendance will be higher than usual.

This might be a crazy suggestion, but would you ever consider Disneyland instead? While your brother still can't smoke in the parks, the smoking might not be as much as an issue just outside of the parks, and there are great deals to be had at the Good Neighbor hotels. I'm guessing you could get an affordable suite or two rooms at a hotel within walking distance. I find DL to be really easy, more relaxing than WDW, and because less time is spent on transportation, hanging out by the pool or napping in the afternoon can easily be incorporated into your trip. You could give your brother a gc for food and he'd be set.

I also have a bro on the spectrum. He loves Disney and my family has had several successful stays at Old Key West. It has everything you outlined although 24 hour shop I'm not sure about. Get him a pen!

-Suite or suites with 3 private or semi-private. beds, preferably 2 bathrooms.
-Reliable "come and go" access to parks.
-Quiet during the day.
-Safe night-walkable area, preferably indoors.
-On-site dining option.
-24-hour convenience shop highly desired.

I also have a bro on the spectrum. He loves Disney and my family has had several successful stays at Old Key West. It has everything you outlined although 24 hour shop I'm not sure about. Get him a pen!

-Suite or suites with 3 private or semi-private. beds, preferably 2 bathrooms.
-Reliable "come and go" access to parks.
-Quiet during the day.
-Safe night-walkable area, preferably indoors.
-On-site dining option.
-24-hour convenience shop highly desired.

Where can you walk indoors unless you are doing laps in the villa?

The villa has a lot however because of the preference the OP brother has in terms of self medication, he is still going to be in jeopardy.

HI there! In regards to weed can he do CBD products without the THC? There's a lot of products like this that I believe should be okay since they don't make the person high. This way you get the good medical benefits or marijuana without the high

I would recommend renting a villa or house, so you can have separate sleeping quarters and more room to spread out. If he is up all night in a hotel room, everyone else will have a rough time at the parks the next day. (We just stayed in a two bedroom villa at AKL and there was lots of room and privacy for the whole family. The bus transportation was excellent.) You don’t say how old or high functioning your brother is, so the absence of a smart phone concerns me. If he were separated from the family in the park, would he have a meltdown? If so, he needs some way to contact the rest of you or at least a note with everyone else’s cell phones numbers on it, so a CM can help him find you. I used to give my ASD son a hospital style wristband with our resort name and room and our cell numbers, so that if we were separated and he was too anxious to remember/speak, that info was always with him. As for the substance issue, I am with you on the smell! Disney is not going to turn a blind eye to smoking and if you’re flying in, edibles would still be a risk. Furthermore, a relative of mine who is a confirmed cannabis fan once walked all over WDW looking for a discreet place to light up. There literally isn’t one. The design of the parks makes it nearly impossible to do anything covertly. (My relative wound up renting a boat and getting his ganja on onboard in the Seven Seas Lagoon.) What might be best is renting an airbnb type home that specifically permits smoking and using Uber or Lyft to get to the parks. This will be cheaper than staying onsite and will permit you to have breakfast before you go to WDW, which will save some $$$Again though, if your brother is to keep to his own schedule, he will need a smartphone to summon said Lyft. Good luck!

Where can you walk indoors unless you are doing laps in the villa?

The villa has a lot however because of the preference the OP brother has in terms of self medication, he is still going to be in jeopardy.

It would have to be outside but as far as resorts go it's incredibly quiet and pedestrian friendly. There isn't one place the checks off all the items, just sharing that it was a place that worked well for my family.

It would have to be outside but as far as resorts go it's incredibly quiet and pedestrian friendly. There isn't one place the checks off all the items, just sharing that it was a place that worked well for my family.

Got it! I wondered if we had missed an indoor area that was open all night.

I honestly do not think the OP can find an onsite property that will work for the family. I cannot imagine trying to manage the smoking habit in WDW. Most things you can find a decent workaround, but illegal products are another story, no matter the reason.

HI there! In regards to weed can he do CBD products without the THC? There's a lot of products like this that I believe should be okay since they don't make the person high. This way you get the good medical benefits or marijuana without the high

Just an FYI, CBD is illegal in Florida. A grandmother just recently was arrested at WDW for having CBD oil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!