Neuro atypical vacationer

CaelanAegana

Earning My Ears
Hello all, first time posting to the resort boards!

My family (2 seniors, 2 adults) are planning a WDW vacation in the low season either late 2019 or early 2020. I've been doing the lion's share of the research.

My brother is autistic/bipolar, so traveling with him can be a challenge. We've found ways to keep the peace as much as possible.

The other 3 of us keep to a fairly neurotypical schedule. My brother can be quite the night owl but can't sleep during the day if it's noisy. He's easily wound up and can get very upset when things don't go as expected. He's highly active and so needs room to walk, pace, etc. He is computer-literate but doesn't own a smartphone. He's a very picky eater. He's also heavy a user of... Ahem... certain smokable pharmaceuticals with restrictions that vary by state (the odor of which drive me absolutely up the wall).

My leading approach at the moment is a full-on Dis vacation package. I think the wristbands and the resort transportation will provide my brother with a lot more freedom to schedule himself as he wants without relying on us for car rides, meal/souvenir money, etc. This will be a load off my folks' minds, so they won't feel so much of a need to babysit him.

Here's a non-comprehensive list of "highly desired-on-a-budget":

-Suite or suites with 3 private or semi-private. beds, preferably 2 bathrooms.
-Reliable "come and go" access to parks.
-Quiet during the day.
-Safe night-walkable area, preferably indoors.
-On-site dining option.
-24-hour convenience shop highly desired.

My main candidate for a Disney resort that fits the bill is the Art of Animation family suites. It looks like it would be easy to put up a room divider around that lounge corner. The various Villas/cabins also look fantastic but the prices I'm seeing would blow our budget.

My parents have a Wyndham/Worldmark membership, but the reliance on a rental car and full cost meals at the parks worked out to not much savings and added aggravation, by my calculations.

Advice on all travel options, especially from anyone with a similar experience, would be welcome. Know of a better hotel? Good discounts? Tips & tricks specific to special needs cases? Specific advice/warnings on said pharmaceutical use? Would I be better off involving a travel agent?

P. S. We're already aware of Disney's Park policies available to persons with cognitive disabilities, thanks!

Can he get by with edibles instead of smoke? I would not risk smoking anything in a Disney hotel.

One of the All Stars also has family suites.

Have you posted on the disability board?

The "smoke-able pharmaceuticals" are going to be a no go on Disney property. I've read that recently FL did approve medical usage, so if he is reliant on it, staying off site may be better? I'm not sure because any rental property will set their own rules.
If it isn't a deal breaker AoA suites are probably laid out well for what you need, but the grounds at POR are more relaxing.AoA is not quiet. I think only deluxe resorts (and AoA) have indoor hallways. Only deluxe have 24 hour quick serve. Hilton Lake Buena Vista is a very nice Disney Springs resort. No dining plan, but it checks a lot of other boxes off your list.

You may want to consider looking into renting points for a DVC villa. Renting points can typically save you money over booking with cash directly through WDW. If you were to go that route, I would look into 2-bedrooms at BCV or BWV. It gives you the three separate sleeping areas, 2 bathrooms and both are generally very quiet resorts. It would also give your brother ample indoor and outdoor space to walk around at night. AoA and ASMu are just not quiet resorts. I found AoA to have the thinnest walls of any resort I've ever stayed in. I barely got any sleep there. I've never had any issues with noise in 2-bedroom villas.

:welcome:

I’ll also suggest posting on our disABILITIES board; it’s a fantastic resource for those planning a trip with neuro-atypical folks. Lots of expertise (and experience) there.

One potential major issue I see with your plans: Marijuana and products that contain marijuana (i.e., edibles) have been banned from Disney property. FL has legalized the medical use of marijuana, but Disney doesn’t distinguish between recreational and medical use.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

(I’ll take this opportunity to remind everyone that the DISboards doesn’t allow discussion of ways to break Disney’s rules, whether you agree with them or not. So please, no suggestions of ways to smuggle in edibles, etc.)

Have you looked into Wyndham Bonnet Creek? I’m not sure what their policy is on medical marijuana use, but if they allow it, they’re just about as close as you can get to Disney property without actually being on it, and they do offer transportation to the parks.

I think you have to take a step back and ask yourself, is WDW the right vacation for your brother? Wouldn't going somewhere more peaceful, natural and calm be a better experience for him? He may do better at a national park / cabin type of vacation.
Thanks for being such an advocate for disabled persons!

My brother adores Disney and has been the CA and FL parks multiple times. Each trip we learn more about the logistics, what his triggers are, etc. He might need a bit more "time off" than others but if all he wanted was peace and quiet, we wouldn't be planning another Disney trip.

One potential major issue I see with your plans: Marijuana and products that contain marijuana (i.e., edibles) have been banned from Disney property. FL has legalized the medical use of marijuana, but Disney doesn’t distinguish between recreational and medical use.
I wasn't sure about the policy, thanks for the information.

My main candidate for a Disney resort that fits the bill is the Art of Animation family suites. It looks like it would be easy to put up a room divider around that lounge corner. The various Villas/cabins also look fantastic but the prices I'm seeing would blow our budget.
Is there a reason he couldn't have the bedroom, while the other three adults use the sofabed and the Murphy bed? Or same in an ASMusic Family Suite, which has three individual convertable sleeping surfaces in the living room?

You may want to consider looking into renting points for a DVC villa. Renting points can typically save you money over booking with cash directly through WDW. If you were to go that route, I would look into 2-bedrooms at BCV or BWV. It gives you the three separate sleeping areas, 2 bathrooms and both are generally very quiet resorts. It would also give your brother ample indoor and outdoor space to walk around at night. AoA and ASMu are just not quiet resorts. I found AoA to have the thinnest walls of any resort I've ever stayed in. I barely got any sleep there. I've never had any issues with noise in 2-bedroom villas.

Do you have any ballpark cost comparison? How do the dining plan/ticket packages work if you're renting points?

What about the cabins at Fort Wilderness? Then again, the sleeping arrangements may not work well.

I like the idea of renting points for a 2 bedroom villa. I love the Values but as has been pointed out, their walls are thin.

Last trip I stayed at SSR for 2 weeks in a 2 bed villa. We are used to calling out instructions to our kids from our room. Well, the soundproofing there is SO good that there was no chance they could hear us when their door was closed. Not even from the living room. Anytime I wanted to deliver an instruction I had to get off my tush and walk over to their room to get face to face. I joked that I walked more inside that villa than I did in the parks!!

For our final night we moved to All Star Music. I never realized just how thin the walls are there. While our neighbors didn't disturb us much, we could clearly hear anyone walking past our room.

Another idea for your brother - would white noise from a fan/phone/radio help him?

Do you have any ballpark cost comparison? How do the dining plan/ticket packages work if you're renting points?

You may want to poke around a reputable DVC rental site to get a comprehensive look at how renting points works. This site offers a cost calculator and answers questions regarding payment, cancellation policies, how to add the dining plan, etc.: https://www.dvcrequest.com/

He's also heavy a user of... Ahem... certain smokable pharmaceuticals with restrictions that vary by state (the odor of which drive me absolutely up the wall).

If he’s a heavy user, I would not stay onsite, and make sure he knows he cannot use it while on property.

I would also check with laws about transporting it from state to state. And if you have to have a prescription from a FL doctor to use it medicinally.

No *packages* if renting a DVC reservation.

You can get the dining plan by paying the owner making the reservation in full.

You can get tickets from wherever you like.

The owner will give you the confirmation number of the reservation and you would enter it onto your MDE and go from there.

But unless he can go cold turkey (and I know it’s said to be not addictive, but I’ve known too many people who have extreme issues when stopping use to believe that anymore) I wouldn’t stay onsite.

I was going to suggest looking into a villa at either DDR or OKW> Both are rambling resorts that are quiet and peacefully The villas at OKW are spacious and offer enough room for some privacy for everyone, and the pathways are not crowded at all.

Thanks for being such an advocate for disabled persons!

My brother adores Disney and has been the CA and FL parks multiple times. Each trip we learn more about the logistics, what his triggers are, etc. He might need a bit more "time off" than others but if all he wanted was peace and quiet, we wouldn't be planning another Disney trip.

Okay, i second checking in the DISabilities forum. Those folks are really knowledgeable in finding ways to make a WDW easier for folks who have specific challenges.

I also think that onsite is probably your best option if you want your brother to have freedom to come and go during odd hours, but I do think if you decide to stay onsite you will need to rethink how you are going to address the smoking. If he cannot curb it for the length of time ouou are there, your entire family may pay the price. If this is a deal breaker you may need to consider offsite and you just need to manage transporting the product.

Where has your brother stayed on previous visits to the parks? As pp have mentioned his product use will be a problem. I would suggest renting points for maybe SSR, but I'm not sure how much your budget is. Perhaps you would be doing better off getting either 3 studio rooms or a 1 bedroom plus studio room for your brother. I honestly don't see how AOA or a value suite will help even with your ' room divider' up......if you all are coming and going during the day/ morning he will wake up. I also can't see making your elderly parents use a pullout sofa in order for your brother to have the main bedroom. Another option......2 or 3 value regular rooms. Either you share one with your parents and he gets a room to himself or each of you gets your own. I would vote off site in a rental home, although the transportation would be a problem. You are in a tough situation with your brother, especially with his product use. How will he get off property to use this product if you are relying on disney transportation? He would have to walk REALLY far to be off property if you are in a disney resort.....logistically it just wouldn't work. Hate to even suggest this, but if he actually wants to partake in this vacation, maybe he can begin cutting back and stop use before the trip, otherwise I'm not quite sure how you all will stay on property. I hope you figure this one out and are able to have a great vacation!

Agree with all that the product use will be a huge problem. One that could result in everyone in the party being banned from the Disney parks, potentially for life. Not to mention that as others have mentioned, crossing state borders with it is a federal no-no.

If he’s a heavy user, I would not stay onsite, and make sure he knows he cannot use it while on property.

I would also check with laws about transporting it from state to state. And if you have to have a prescription from a FL doctor to use it medicinally.

No *packages* if renting a DVC reservation.

You can get the dining plan by paying the owner making the reservation in full.

You can get tickets from wherever you like.

The owner will give you the confirmation number of the reservation and you would enter it onto your MDE and go from there.

But unless he can go cold turkey (and I know it’s said to be not addictive, but I’ve known too many people who have extreme issues when stopping use to believe that anymore) I wouldn’t stay onsite.

This is good advice. OP, I would make sure your family understands the Florida law concerning the use of medical marijuana. I have no idea, I am not a lawyer or law enforcement, but a quick Google search indicated that it was pretty restricted and "not reciprocal" in Florida. Not to mention how it would be transported there.
If Disney has a policy and your brother is discovered, they may also choose to ask for law enforcement involvement.

Offsite in a nearby villa with a generous uber/lyft budget could work well actually. And you can order the necessary product to be delivered to you at the villa so you won't need to transport it.

I see some issues that you could be facing. If he can not transition to edibles you're facing a real challenge of where he can smoke. He can't light up anywhere on Disney property so that means moving offsite at a minimum. He can't light up in any hotel room and probably any rental property, and if he lights up outside and a neighbor smells it that could cause problems. Not that the edibles clear him, but it would at least be less obvious, again taking them onto Disney property is against the rules. I think you need to contact the State of Florida so you understand the laws and implications, and then be honest with any hotel or other location, getting evicted or a visit from the Police would not be a good situation for you or your brother.

A quick look at the laws and who is eligible for MM in FL, I'm not sure he will qualify as the list is pretty limited but you know his diagnoses. Its worth looking into so you fully understand the laws of FL.
http://flhealthsource.gov/ommu/medical_marijuana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter