Nervous About Traveling as an Adult for the First Time

pvdprincess

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I'm heading out to WDW this week with my younger brother for a siblings trip! I'm 18 and have been to Disney several times, but have never travelled while being the "responsible adult in charge". There's no place I'm more confident in my abilities to navigate, etc. than Disney and have planned for anything that could possibly go wrong, but I'm feeling some last minute jitters about. Has anyone else been through a situation similar to this? Thank you! :figment:

Hon, everyone feels like this, the first time they do something as an adult! We've all been through it. ::smiles:: There's going to be a point where you aren't certain what to do - just ask the Cast Members, they'll help you out! They see it all the time.

Have you traveled alone before? Checked into a hotel room before? Paid for stuff on your own? Is there anything in particular you're feeling jittery about?

I found that on my first adult trip the thing that made me feel really confident was having everything printed out just in case (reservations etc) and all in a dedicated folder. Keep all your important bits and bobs together in one place.
A nicely colour coordinated checklist never hurt anyone lol! Including writing down important numbers to call, I don't know about you but I don't memorize phone numbers anymore!
Maybe set up some ground rules with your brother. I'm sure you are both very reliable and responsible but an open conversation always helps 😊 and will hopefully take some of your nerves away.
I'm sure you will have an amazing time!

What an exciting time for you! Enjoy it, and just go with the flow. Little things that may not go according to plan will probably turn out to not be a big deal, after all. I'm envious of you!

I think you said it great. You know Disney and that is what is important. I think your parents taught you well and they trust you enough to take your younger brother. I hope someday I can do exactly what you are doing with my younger brother and sister when I am old enough.

My first ever trip on my own was my graduation trip to Disney after I graduated high school. I had been to Disney before without parents and was very much on my own so I already felt pretty comfortable, but it all is still really nervewracking. Just don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. All us cast members are more than happy to assist in any way we can. Don't be nervous, a lot of issues have simple fixes. They might look daunting sometimes but they are simple and you are already familiar with Disney so I'm sure you'll have no problems. Hope you have a fabulously magical trip and that I was in any way reassuring!

If it helps at all, I'm 40 and have been traveling alone or with my younger sister since I was 10. I still get slightly nervous that something is gonna happen I didn't think about. What always helps me is focusing on having a good time and rolling with whatever happens. If your favorite attractions are closed, you can't do anything about that...don't worry about it. If it rains, throw your poncho on and go. You can't plan for everything, but if you keep your wits about you and don't freak out, it will all be fine. Don't do anything your gut tells you not to do or you wouldn't be okay telling your parents about and it will be fine.

Have a great time!!

I'm planning my first WDW trip without my parents with all my cousins. I'm super nervous even though my Disney mom has taken me under her wing with all the planning. Looking at all these posts helps a lot with my own nerves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!