Nervous about renting!

mousestruck

DIS Veteran
We are out of points and I prefer not to borrow, so I'm considering renting for the first time. We're staying three nights at YC (on my husband's company) because he has a conference. I need to cover two nights cash. I booked a room at POP... but regret is kicking in because we've been spoiled by DVC rooms for the last 10 years! So Disney math has kicked in and I realized I could rent a studio for about $200 more - less if we rent direct from an owner, and even less when I consider that I have one or two adult children that may join and would cost extra on a cash reservation (for occupancy and parking).

I understand there is a level of risk involved with an owner-to-owner transaction, which is why I'm leaning toward a rental company. I know of one, but any others I should consider that would accommodate a 2 night reservation? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

The Disboard sponsor David's Rentals has very good reputation, and if you read one of his posts last week, he has always taken care of any issue that has come up. Even though I haven't had to use his service yet, that is the one I would go with.

You might also try Swan or Dolphin since you are at the Yacht Club. It makes it very easy when you need to move to the next resort. But you can't get ME for free if you stay there. We have stayed at the Swan in the past when we needed an extra night. It worked out great with F&W when we wanted to add one more event and didn't have points left.

You might also consider looking at the 24 extra points you can purchase direct from DVC at seven months out if those will be enough for a studio. They will cost your $19 a point, but the reservation will be yours and you don't have to worry about not having a reservation. I know we can get a studio at OKW for 10 points several times during the year.

The Disboard sponsor David's Rentals has very good reputation, and if you read one of his posts last week, he has always taken care of any issue that has come up. Even though I haven't had to use his service yet, that is the one I would go with.
Thank you! That is the company I've heard of and will probably reach out.

You might also try Swan or Dolphin since you are at the Yacht Club. It makes it very easy when you need to move to the next resort. But you can't get ME for free if you stay there. We have stayed at the Swan in the past when we needed an extra night. It worked out great with F&W when we wanted to add one more event and didn't have points left.

You might also consider looking at the 24 extra points you can purchase direct from DVC at seven months out if those will be enough for a studio. They will cost your $19 a point, but the reservation will be yours and you don't have to worry about not having a reservation. know we can get a studio at OKW for 10 points several times during the year.

Thank you for the advice! I'd like to use the Magical Express, which is why I did not consider Swan and Dolphin. Twenty four points isn't quite enough, so I will need to rent if I elect to go that route.

We are out of points and I prefer not to borrow, so I'm considering renting for the first time. We're staying three nights at YC (on my husband's company) because he has a conference. I need to cover two nights cash. I booked a room at POP... but regret is kicking in because we've been spoiled by DVC rooms for the last 10 years! So Disney math has kicked in and I realized I could rent a studio for about $200 more - less if we rent direct from an owner, and even less when I consider that I have one or two adult children that may join and would cost extra on a cash reservation (for occupancy and parking).

I understand there is a level of risk involved with an owner-to-owner transaction, which is why I'm leaning toward a rental company. I know of one, but any others I should consider that would accommodate a 2 night reservation? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Mine is not a recommendation for a rental company but rather a recommendation to borrow. If the points are there to be used then I recommend using them. Once you reach a point there is no more to borrow then look at what other options there are if you are not interested in taking a break to replenish the pool. As you can also supplement with OTU points if you are in the 7 month window it would likely be very few. And next year if you need a few more points you could do the same.

Mine is not a recommendation for a rental company but rather a recommendation to borrow. If the points are there to be used then I recommend using them. Once you reach a point there is no more to borrow then look at what other options there are if you are not interested in taking a break to replenish the pool. As you can also supplement with OTU points if you are in the 7 month window it would likely be very few. And next year if you need a few more points you could do the same.
Thank you! I could certainly do that... only issue is that borrowing the points from next year leaves me about 30 points short for my December 2019 trip, which I have to reserve soon to take advantage of our 11 month home resort window. We have a June Use Year. So could I then borrow from 2020 (next month) to make that reservation?

Thank you! I could certainly do that... only issue is that borrowing the points from next year leaves me about 30 points short for my December 2019 trip, which I have to reserve soon to take advantage of our 11 month home resort window. We have a June Use Year. So could I then borrow from 2020 (next month) to make that reservation?

Yes, you can always borrow one UY ahead of the dates of the stay. That you're still in your 2018 UY when making the reservation doesn't matter, it's all about the dates of the stay. So with a June UY and making a Dec 2019 reservation you could use banked 2018 points (if you had them), current 2019 points and you can borrow from the 2020 points. As an FYI if you haven't borrowed before the system will ask you to borrow at the time you are making the reservation.

Yes, you can always borrow one UY ahead of the dates of the stay. That you're still in your 2018 UY when making the reservation doesn't matter, it's all about the dates of the stay. So with a June UY and making a Dec 2019 reservation you could use banked 2018 points (if you had them), current 2019 points and you can borrow from the 2020 points. As an FYI if you haven't borrowed before the system will ask you to borrow at the time you are making the reservation.
Thanks again! You've definitely given me another option to seriously consider. Part of me is uncomfortable setting myself up for a "debt" situation, where I'm continuously borrowing from the next year... but the practical side of me understands that it's silly to spend $500 when I don't have to! Your suggestion makes complete sense!

If you choose to rent, I can recommend David's with no pause. My experiences: We have rented from David's successfully for several trips and the only trouble we have run into is them not having points for requests (no fault of theirs). We have only not gotten points one time. We had the ability to prioritize 3 choices. None of these were able to be matched up and they sent other available options. We chose not to take any of those and our deposit was refunded (expediently). I personally, would not consider going another route to rent unless I had a friend or knew someone that I could rent from.

If you choose to rent, I can recommend David's with no pause. My experiences: We have rented from David's successfully for several trips and the only trouble we have run into is them not having points for requests (no fault of theirs). We have only not gotten points one time. We had the ability to prioritize 3 choices. None of these were able to be matched up and they sent other available options. We chose not to take any of those and our deposit was refunded (expediently). I personally, would not consider going another route to rent unless I had a friend or knew someone that I could rent from.
Thank you! Sounds like David's is the right choice if we decide to rent.

Thanks again! You've definitely given me another option to seriously consider. Part of me is uncomfortable setting myself up for a "debt" situation, where I'm continuously borrowing from the next year... but the practical side of me understands that it's silly to spend $500 when I don't have to! Your suggestion makes complete sense!

I agree there is something that seems negative about borrowing but since you already have the points sitting there and available without any additional expense outlay it usually does make sense. And no worries about rentals as you'll have full control!

My choice would be to borrow - the future is unpredictable and there is a chance you won't make a trip in 2019 or 2020, etc. By borrowing, you can make the studio reservation you need now (the longer you wait, the lower the chance of finding availability for what you want). You'll also still be able to make your 11 month reservation for December 2019 by borrowing from 2020.

If you borrow now for the studio, you will have more time to seek out a point transfer to "resolve the deficit" for future years. That postpones the cash outlay and a transfer gives you control the future reservations made with those points (unlike renting a reservation). If you can get a transfer of your own home resort & use year points, you will even be able to use them to book online (otherwise you have to call MS to use transferred points). Getting a transfer later would also give you time to complete "due diligence" on the Member offering to transfer. I do not recall any problem transactions involving a transfer if they were arranged via the DIS R/T Forum, but of course, you still need to do your own due diligence.

Good luck!

My choice would be to borrow - the future is unpredictable and there is a chance you won't make a trip in 2019 or 2020, etc. By borrowing, you can make the studio reservation you need now (the longer you wait, the lower the chance of finding availability for what you want). You'll also still be able to make your 11 month reservation for December 2019 by borrowing from 2020.

If you borrow now for the studio, you will have more time to seek out a point transfer to "resolve the deficit" for future years. That postpones the cash outlay and a transfer gives you control the future reservations made with those points (unlike renting a reservation). If you can get a transfer of your own home resort & use year points, you will even be able to use them to book online (otherwise you have to call MS to use transferred points). Getting a transfer later would also give you time to complete "due diligence" on the Member offering to transfer. I do not recall any problem transactions involving a transfer if they were arranged via the DIS R/T Forum, but of course, you still need to do your own due diligence.

Good luck!
Excellent advice. Thank you! I think I'm convinced to borrow.

I agree with Carol - the future is unpredictable

We've borrowed since our first trip - since we don't go to WDW every year, banking and borrowing makes sense for us. It isn't debt, its just using the points I'm entitled to use when I need to use them and they are available to me

Its really about maximizing YOUR points. If you borrow and end up short in a future a year, then you can rent a reservation - or book a CRO resort - or take a year off WDW - go to Disneyland and pay cash. Cruise on cash. Or do something unrelated to Disney for your vacation - stay on a beach in Mexico, go to Maui, go to Europe. Go to Universal.

I agree with Carol - the future is unpredictable

We've borrowed since our first trip - since we don't go to WDW every year, banking and borrowing makes sense for us. It isn't debt, its just using the points I'm entitled to use when I need to use them and they are available to me

Its really about maximizing YOUR points. If you borrow and end up short in a future a year, then you can rent a reservation - or book a CRO resort - or take a year off WDW - go to Disneyland and pay cash. Cruise on cash. Or do something unrelated to Disney for your vacation - stay on a beach in Mexico, go to Maui, go to Europe. Go to Universal.
Thank you! I decided to take everyone’s advice and borrowed points to book a studio at Kidani. I’m happy with my decision!

I have been borrowing points since joining in 2009. I finally got to a point where I had borrowed all of the points from the next year. To wait for points to replenish, we took a DCL cruise this summer on cash. However, we ended up adding on CCV points on the cruise! Sooo happy I took advantage of borrowing!

I understand the hesitation of borrowing..... I haven't done it but have considered it.
I usually have the opposite problem, due to lots of logistics, we have extra points.
I rent them here on the Rental Board and I have done a last minute rental of points just before they expired at Dave's.

I have never had a bad experience so far! (knock on wood)

Now I just need to plan a trip for the Spring and use the rest of my points!
Agree with the others "A bird in hand (points in this use year) is better than one in the bush (next years points)"

If you find you have borrowed yourself out of points - isn't that a sign you need to buy more? :smooth:
That was my solution anyway :rolleyes1

I think borrowing is always the best way to manage points. With the use-it-or-lose-it situation, using points as soon as possible is the best way to ensure they don't expire. And, it gives you the most flexibility. I think "borrow" carries a negative connotation because you optimally don't want to borrow money unless necessary, but it's a completely different calculation here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!