Needed to vent- people in disabled parking spots that dont need them

I worked at the mall for a few months when I was in high school a couple of years ago. At our store (Disney of course :earsgirl: ), we'd purposly walk by handicapped spots on our way into work and if there were any non-tagged cars in the spots, we'd stop at security on our way in. I know one day I noticed a car without tags parked in a spot, and a tagged van had pulled as close as they could to the non-tagged drivers door. I went in to mention to security and the driver of the non-tagged was in there saying that someone blocked them into their space and they wanted them towed! Unfortunatly for him, a local police officer had stopped in on a routine visit to the mall. Security looked at me, asked the guy what kind of car he drove, I nodded when he described the right one, and the officer wrote him a ticket right then and there.
When I go out, I never take the first open spot unless I have my cousin in the car. If I do, I find the closest non-handicapped spot as he's 6 years old and has Autism and Down Syndrome, so it's a struggle to get him into the wheelchair as he can't walk/crawl or talk. Otherwise, I make my friends walk no matter how lazy college students are. It's just the right thing to do.

mtertell said:
I beleive there is no fee to park at a downtown meter with a handicap placard.

does anyone know if this is just illinois, or if it true for any other states (or all states?)? thx.

-dj

I'm not positive, but believe it varies state to state. I know in Minnesota it is true.
It's not required for a very practical reason though. In Minnesota in the winter, the snow is often blocking access to the meter unless you are able to climb snowbanks.

ducklite said:
The only times I've used a handicapped spot without the permit, I think I truly deserved to do so.

So I parked there. I admit it. And I would have fought that ticket had I gotten one.

BTW--I used the space that didn't have the special wheelchair access lane...

Anne
That is the thinking that alot of people think. And of the judges I talked to at DW xmas party ,12 of them, NONE of them would have let you off. You would have had the ticket enforced.
If you need a temporary one get it the correct way, don't make your own laws to only benefit only you.

Just last month some guy tried to use a 6 month temporary tag in a spot. the tag was 7 years past due! :earseek: It was hard to not notice since the red color was well worn. To bad he was in a convertable, he now has no tag to abuse anymore. :rolleyes1 :pug:

In most states, it actually is pretty easy to get a temporary tag these days because you can usually download the form from the internet website, fill out the part you need to fill out and then take/send it to your doctor's office for them to finish filling out.
Many medical facilities actually have internet access now, so they might even be able to have you email the form to them or get it off the internet to fill out themselves. Many doctors offices have the forms in their office and would be able to fill it out for you to pick up.

I'm not sure, but I think that even someone who has a valid permit and forgets to put it out could get a ticket for parking in the marked handicapped spot without it. So, I am certain that someone who parks in a handicapped spot and doesn't have a permit would have a hard time fighting a ticket (no matter how good their excuse).

SueM in MN said:
I'm not sure, but I think that even someone who has a valid permit and forgets to put it out could get a ticket for parking in the marked handicapped spot without it. So, I am certain that someone who parks in a handicapped spot and doesn't have a permit would have a hard time fighting a ticket (no matter how good their excuse).
About two years ago I forgot to put up my tag (and this was at Downtown Disney). I got a ticket from Orange County Sheriff's Department. I called the Court and was told to make a photocopy of my hang tag and send it in with $20 and I would have the charge (and fine) reduced from illegally parking in a handicap space (which is $250) to just not displaying the tag.

SueM in MN said:

Absolutely! It's never happened to me, but I can just imagine... "But, Your Honor, I do have a handicap placard! See, it's right here in my hand! I didn't know I had to hang it from my rearview mirror - I thought tucking it up over the visor was sufficient!"
Not to mention the ticket I'd get while I was in court - given that the placard wouldn't even be in my car at the time! :)

Haven't been here in a while because around Halloween all heck broke loose in my home--my wonderful DH was diagnosed with MS--he had absolutely NO symptoms until he had stroke like symptoms. There were more lesions on his brain than they could count. He is now severely disabled and they have given him the PPMS dx, pending seeing how he does...anyway, about the handicapped cards---We got one for DArrin before he left the hospital. He couldn't walk 50 ft without being ready for a nap...he has to have a walker or 4 pronged cane to help him navigate as well. He is only 37 and unless you notice the cane, you wouldn't think a thing about him being disabled. WELL---on the way home from the hospital we stopped at the pharmacy to fill his meds. He wanted to go in to see the "land of hte living" as he said so I parked in the handicapped spot and we went in. I was walking a bit behind him on the side he was using the cane and this little old man drove past and gave us the finger!!! UGH...like my dh needed that. I guess he didn't see the cane...it irritates me to when people use the spots and don't need them...but I would never do something so rude...what if I was WRONG? What if they forgot to put out their placard? (IF my dh could still drive--which he can't because of his vision loss--he would forget easily due to the memory loss he suffers!) I HATE when there is no spot available for him, but we have gotten used to me dropping him off at the door and parking, then I just go get the car and pick him up at the door. Why people want to take advantage of the spots---I don't know. I would walk a million miles to make my dh be able to do so. I would give up the spot any day, as I am sure he would.

I think that all of us would love to have physical changes to our bodies so we would not have need for disabled parking and gladly burn the tags.

Cheshire Figment said:
I think that all of us would love to have physical changes to our bodies so we would not have need for disabled parking and gladly burn the tags.
Amen!

Cheshire Figment said:
Speaking for my DH - ''too right :sunny:''

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter