need your opinion on my points rental situation

Thanks everyone for your feedback and opinions. This is why I posted, to get others opinions. I had considered posting negative feedback for David's but wasn't sure that was fair, and I think after reading some of these replied I am convinced to keep my opinions to myself.

In all fairness, the owners of these points are not involved with this at all - as far as they know their points are rented - even if David's does process a refund for me that is ONLY if another renter is found - if no renter is found, I'm 100% out of luck and the owner keeps their money. That's what I would expect, as I knew it was nonrefundable. The owner has to do nothing, as far as I understand, other than call and change the name of David's finds a new renter. So the owner here is out nothing and has no risk (as it should be).

I think a 25% fee would be quite reasonable if truly I was just canceling and getting my money back, potentially causing inconvenience to the owners, but that's not what this would be.

I doubt they would take a lower $/pt as this is over New Years and all of the dedicated reservations for rent on their site are $16-17/pt during slower times, and I rented at $15.

I do agree with you however about the the fact that Davids would have to process a refund, collect new payment, post the reservation, generate a new agreeement and answer my and others various questions. No doubt there is more work here. I would be quite suprised, however, if all of that work is more than 5 hours, say, which is probably a generous estimate? At $904 that is $180/hr? Seems steep...

I don't mean to be "crying" to owners - truly and legitimately looking for honest feedback. As someone mentioned above, I'm just disappointed. I have used David's twice before and it was great! I am soured now...

It is natural for a person to feel cheated when they lose their hard earned money, whatever the circumstances may be. I have gone on a rant about things and then after rethinking things, have found that I may have over reacted.....not saying that you have. I have dealt with Davids (renting points) and will never use another option. They are taking risks also and should be compensated for their extra work. I am sure that you have seen the other side, but you have learned on how the renting business works.

Haven't there been reports of Davi'ds simply being unwilling to give flexibility? Maybe this was a policy change in response to that criticism. As contracted, it seems fair and appropriate, no reason to be upset over that. Actually a reason to be happy that one might only lose part. I know as an individual who isn't doing this as a business but has rented an average of 2-3 reservations per year for 22 years, I personally don't have any problems trying to change a reservation as long as someone isn't back and forth simply being high maintenance. My terms are a 25% deposit the remainder at 120 days out all non refundable. But as a business there are real and direct costs to such changes and it's reasonable to charge much like a restocking fee.

I'm guessing David's agreed to bend the rules here due to the fact that the rental is during NYE period -- so he's probably very sure it is going to be easy to flip. With that said, $900 is reasonable assuming he kicks some of that back to the owner for their efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter