Need to stop eating out... meal ideas?

We are eating out way too much. We are spending too much money on food, and we all need to cut down. Can someone share their go to meals? I hate cooking lately. Anything easy to recommend that I can just rotate in every week?

I'd like to stop ordering out Sun - Thurs at least.

Thanks!
Shepherd's Pie is a good one-dish meal.

This makes at least 8 large servings so I freeze a lot of it in smaller portions then reheat it. Simple and quite good.

WENDY’S CHILI

3 lb low-fat hamburger, browned
1 large sweet onion
3 stalks celery
1 green bell pepper
1 cup water
28 oz dark red kidney beans, drained
28 oz pinto beans, drained
7 oz can diced green chilies
3 cans (14 oz ea) stewed tomatoes
10 oz can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
14 oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp cumin
3 T chili powder
1-1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt

Combine in large crockpot; cook on low til onions and celery are softened.

Love my instant pot type pressure cooker. That thing will change your life. I also use my crockpot. I use those two things more than my stove.

Have you looked on Pinterest for recipes? Pinterest drives my husband crazy. I am always trying new things.

What about buying an Airfryer? After I did that, I found that my fast-food cravings went away because I could always make a better burger at home...

That is what is hard for me. I hate eating frozen food, esp. frozen veggies. I really need to included a frozen meal in there somewhere just to have on hand.

I'd have to go to the store way more than I'd like if I relied only on fresh food. In many cases frozen vegetables have more nutrients than fresh. They're flash frozen quickly after harvesting. I do get fresh stuff but having frozen means a quick easy meal at home rather than ordering out.

We don't eat frozen meals very much but rather use frozen ingredients like flash frozen chicken breasts and vegetables.

I am not a fan of meat cooked in the crock pot or pressure cooker. I find I need to do a lot of prep work (browning, etc) if I want a flavorful meal, and more often than not, the meat ends up being dry and stringy. UGH.

I LOVE to cook but work full time and by the time I get home I am tired, so I am all about the easy meal during the week. It's not just about prep time and cooking, either- there's that whole "the kitchen is a mess and nobody has the energy to clean it" thing, LOL! It's just DH and me at home now, so it's pretty easy to come up with meals. I try to cook something "big" on the weekend, or even 2 "bigs" so we can eat leftovers during the week. This might be soup, meatloaf, roasted chicken, roast pork (with sauerkraut, apples, onions, prunes, caraway seeds... yum!), lasagne... you get the idea. This will give us another two dinners during the week, or one dinner and lunches.

I also keep my freezer stocked with individually-frozen meats (Buy chicken pieces, chops, steak tips or blades, hamburg made into burgers, etc. Put them on wax paper-covered cookie sheets and freeze, then pile into ziplock bags and back into the freezer). I'll pull out a couple of pieces of meat in the morning and put them in a ziplock with some kind of marinade, cooking sauce, salad dressing, whatever. They'll be thawed enough to cook for dinner. We often have salad with dinner, or I'll throw in a pan of veggies to roast. I cut up a pile of veggies on Sunday and store them, separated by veg type, in bags in the fridge. When I put the meat in the oven, I grab a few handsful of different veggies, toss them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, S&P, and onion powder, spread them out on a foil-covered cookie sheet, and roast at 350-400 for about a half-hour- while the meat is also cooking. We detest frozen veggies, so except for a bag of mixed veg (for fast soup), we never have them. I always go for roasted veg or canned veg.

Sometimes I'll thaw meat and cook it on the stove. Sautee/braise, whatever you want to call it. Olive oil in a frying pan, thinly slice some onion, sauté. Add meat, brown, and then throw on a sauce- bottled marinades, teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce, boxed/canned broth, orange juice, canned diced tomatoes, whatever. Add some dried spices that "go" with the sauce, put the cover on the pan, and let it cook for about 20 mins, depending on the type of meat. Pot of rice, can of veggies or a salad, and dinner is ready.

I have found that if I think a little bit and have stuff "ready to go" in advance, we stay out of the pubs and restaurants that are a 5 minute walk from our front door. However, if I plan something that takes too much work, or makes too much of a mess in the kitchen, we end up eating out... burger night, pizza night, wing night... all seem like they will be cheap, but by the time we order for 2 and there's a beer or three along with, well, it's not so cheap (or healthy, but that's another discussion for another day!).

In the fall/winter I enjoy putting a roast (beef or pork) in the oven (at 300 degrees, seasoned with salt/pepper and garlic powder, and about a cup of beef broth in the bottom of the pan). Let it cook 3 hours then add baby carrots, chunks of onion (we like sweet, like Vidalia) and celery, sliced mushrooms, and quartered potatoes (or halved baby reds) and add a bit more beef broth. Let it cook 2 more hours and dinner is done. The meat is so tender it falls off the bone. You can make a gravy with the broth, or do what we do and put a little BBQ sauce on the meat. I do this at least once a month in the cool weather months. I also make hamburger/vegetable soup at least once a month in the fall/winter. I cook a pound of hamburger (seasoned with salt/pepper and garlic powder) then put that (drained) in a stock pot. I add a lot of vegetables: chunked potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, zucchini, broccoli, corn, diced tomatoes (we like the fire roasted), kidney beans, lima beans, and sometimes I add a little pasta or rice. Add a container of beef broth, a can of tomato sauce (or V8 juice), a little worcestershire sauce and various seasonings. Let it simmer a couple of hours (or it can be made in a slow cooker as well). Add a loaf of crusty bread and it's dinner on a cold, snowy night.

I also make lasagna, goulash, tacos, spaghetti/meatballs, beef/venison stroganoff, roasted chicken thighs/veggies, macaroni and cheese, various casseroles, etc.

Another thing I recently made that we liked was a homemade version of those frozen bag meals that have chicken, veggies and cheese sauce.

In the summer I make a lot of salads for dinner (a variety of lettuces, loads of raw vegetables, cheese, slivered turkey), cold plates (deli meats/cheeses, potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, etc.), and we do a lot of grilling.

I also love trying new recipes and have about 150 different cookbooks. I do this more in the fall/winter, generally pick a cookbook and try 2-3 recipes from it in a week and make notes in the book if we liked the recipe or not, if I did any tweaks to the recipe, etc.

For me, I enjoy cooking much more if I know what I'm going to make each day and know that I have the ingredients on hand. If I have to stand there in front of the frig or freezer, trying to decide if there's anything to cook, then search for the ingredients, that's less than fun.

I don't like to cook either but we don't order out much. There are lots of quick and easy meals to make. I focus on a protein, a vegetable or 2 and sometimes a healthy whole grain.

I always have frozen stuff like thin sliced chicken or turkey breasts, fish and assorted burgers (buffalo, salmon and vegetarian); assorted vegetables and vegetable mixes; and quick grain blends like quinoa. I buy a lot of stuff at trader Joe's. They sell different sauces that can enhance a plain piece of fish or chicken.

I think the trick is to stock your freezer with easy things to throw together a meal quickly. When my daughter is home I always have cooked pasta and a few different sauces on hand if she doesn't want what I've made. She can then easily put together something for herself. I've never made food choices a battle. As long as everyone is mostly eating healthy food that's all that matters.
I agree with this. I cook 6 out of 7 days and keep my freezer and pantry stocked with the basics. A healthy, home cooked meal does not mean there needs to be a ton of prep or ingredients. My basic rule is protein, veggie, grain/starch. If I can roll the leftovers into another meal the next day, even better.

Tacos-even with veggie prep it shouldn’t take more than 20mins. Chop extra veggies and the next day throw it all in a bowl with some crushed tortilla chips, pico, sour cream and have taco salad. 10 mins tops. Two meals-30 mins total over two days.

When my DH makes a Tri Tip (insert whatever protein you like) we usually serve it with corn on the cob and salad. The next day-steak salad. Or cut up the meat into bite size pieces, cut the corn off the cob, add extra veggies, toss it all in a hot pan, scramble a couple of eggs at the end and serve over rice or ramen noodles.

Keep flat breads in the freezer, pizza sauce and mozzarella in the fridge. Put leftover protein and veggies on top and have personal pizzas for dinner.

Grab a rotisserie chicken, tortilla chips and other toppings you’d like and make nachos. The next day use the leftover chicken for chicken salad or chicken quesadillas.

I keep frozen clean, no tail shrimp (about $6 a bag) on hand all the time. Last night I made Shrimp Scampi in about 10 minutes. Put a pot of water on to boil, toss the shrimp in a colander under cold, running water to thaw. Meanwhile grab half a stick of butter, some good olive oil, garlic (I like the frozen cubes from TJ’s), lemon juice, wine (or chicken broth). By now your shrimp will be thawed and your water boiling. Put your butter, oil and garlic in med hot pan, put your pasta in the boiling water. Now add you shrimp to the butter, add some Italian seasoning if you want. Cook to almost pink, add lemon and wine. Your pasta is done and so is the bag of veggie steamers you threw in the microwave. Your family is impressed at the “fancy” meal you just made and you let them think you worked your butt off to make it. ;)

Love my instant pot type pressure cooker. That thing will change your life. I also use my crockpot. I use those two things more than my stove.

Have you looked on Pinterest for recipes? Pinterest drives my husband crazy. I am always trying new things.

What's the difference between an instant pot and crock pot?

I hate to cook, I despise it, I don't like it, it's not fun, I'd rather clean the toilets than cook - so it's simple and easy cooking for me when I do it. Stir fry is my friend. I can take frozen skinless chicken breaks and thaw them in hot water in half hour, mean while cook quick brown rice. Slice up the chicken and throw it in the pan with a little pam, when it gets done take it out and throw frozen veggies in and throw the chicken and cooked rice back in the skillet. You are done. Fajitas are quick and easy, again with the chicken, frozen onions and peppers in the skillet, sour cream and avocados, throw it in a tortilla you have warmed in the microwave. Done. I get the individual packaged thin pork chops, thaw those puppies, throw them on the indoor grill with some salt and pepper, throw some frozen roasted veggies in the oven. Done. Cut up some taters in chunks, throw them in a skillet, when they are almost done, throw in some polish sausage. When that is done, take it out of the skillet and throw some sauerkraut in the hot skillet and warm it, throw the sausage in with that and taters on the side. Done. Can't go wrong with anything on the grill (bonus honey cooks on the grill so no cooking for me) throw some fries in the oven (I don't eat fried food but honey throws his in the deep fryer). Done. Honey takes skin on, bone in big ole chicken breasts, makes a mixture of red wine vinegar/salt and pepper and dashes that liberally on the chicken and grills it, I cut up taters in fries, cover aluminum foil with Pam, put fries in and cut pats of butter on top of them, salt and pepper and wrap it up. Honey puts it on the grill with the chicken. I pull the skin off my chicken cause I don't eat it but honey swears it's great because it gets a nice char on it from the vinegar. Done.

I love kitchen sink salads, I buy spring mix premade salads, grill those go to chicken breasts in the inside grill, slice tomatoes, avocados, grapes, apples, blue cheese or feta, cranraisons and raspberry vingerette dressing. Done

In a pinch, at least once a week - a bowl of cereal. Done

In the winter, honey makes a big ole pot of chili, it will last us for supper that night and a couple of days of lunch. He also makes chicken and dumplings, sometimes he makes the dumplings from scratch but he also buys the frozen ones, boil the chicken pieces then take them off the bones, throw back in the pot with water and dumplings a little milk and simmer. Another go to for us in the winter is chicken and rice. Boil the chicken and take off the bone, make a big ole pot of brown rice, throw a little milk in there and back in with the chicken. Done Freezes good and lasts for 2 or three days of lunches.

I love to cook but some days I just don't feel like it. Instead of ordering out, what I started doing (in addition to freezer meals I have already made) I now stock up on things like Frozen Pizza, Birds Eye Meal Kits and even Stouffers Mac and Cheese and Lasagna.

Yes..they can be expensive, are high in sodium, not the healthiest, etc.. But I figure having one of these on like a Friday night is still a ton cheaper than ordering take out or even dining out.

I do cook pretty healthy 90 percent of the time, so I figure a couple times a month doing this won't hurt us.

This is a great Easy comfort food -- all in one dish -- meal

CHICKEN AND NOODLE CASSEROLE

12 ounce bag uncooked egg noodles (about 6 cups uncooked)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 cup sour cream

¾ cup milk

¼ teaspoon each: salt, pepper

3 cups cooked chicken ( cubed )

1 cup crushed ritz crackers (about 30 crackers???)more if you like

¼ cup melted butter

NOTE: this original recipe is BLAND. So add some garlic or any other spices you may like. I added garlic and Parmesan cheese.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles according to pkg for al dente. Drain.

In large bowl, whisk soup, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper (and other spices you added) until well blended. Stir in chicken and noodles. Dump into greased 13 x 9’’ baking dish. Mix crushed crackers and butter in a small dish and sprinkle over the top. Bake 30-35 minutes. (I think you could add a bag of frozen peas or broccoli or anything else you might like.)

Chicken thighs cook quickly and are very tasty.

Chicken thighs don't get the credit they deserve, they really have more flavor than chicken breasts and they're cheap. I season them with onion salt, oregano, thyme, paprika, pepper, and garlic salt. Throw 'em in the oven at 350 for an hour, the skin gets nice & crispy. I'll roast some broccoli or asparagus as a side. I usually cook three thighs at a time and eat one or two the first night and have one for lunch the next day. They're even good re-heated in the microwave.

Over on the budget board there is a thread for eating at home and they have things and ideas that they make everyday.
I love my crockpot to throw stuff in and don't have to worry about dinner. So many recipes to use for the crockpot. I use mine for meats as dh doesn't like to sway to much from plain food.

You can buy a whole cooked chicken, and get stuff for salad and garlic bread or biscuits. Our store has cooked ribs as well.

We are eating out way too much. We are spending too much money on food, and we all need to cut down. Can someone share their go to meals? I hate cooking lately. Anything easy to recommend that I can just rotate in every week?

I'd like to stop ordering out Sun - Thurs at least.

Thanks!
What do you like to eat when you go out?
Any favourite types of cuisine? Or proteins you won't eat or prefer?
How much time do you want to spend in the kitchen? Looking for 1 hr or less meals or would you like to dedicate 1/2 a day to cooking for the week?
Answers to those questions can give a better idea of food items you'll enjoy making and steer all in your direction:).

I try to have a meal schedule so it requires less thinking/planning work. It's tough because I eat very little meat, my 7 year old son eats very few vegetables (and oh how I've tried!), my two homestay teenagers from China don't love pasta, biscuits, potatoes, etc... I try to feed everyone a little something they like every day at the very least.

My schedule:
Sunday-grilling or something more labor intensive like roast chicken, homemade chili, homemade spaghetti sauce, etc...
Monday-I try for leftovers from Sunday or will do an easy jarred sauce and meatballs, pasta and salad, or a Costco rotisserie chicken and bag of salad
Tuesday-taco Tuesday or Trader Joe's Tuesday where I serve a "bag o meal" from their frozen section along with rice, usually
Wednesday-my son is with his dad, I go to an exercise class, so everyone "fends for themselves"
Thursday-either soup salad and rolls or breakfast for dinner. I try to alternate the weeks. (For breakfast foods one week I do fruit, eggs, hash browns, bacon and the other week I do waffles instead of hash browns)
Friday-pizza night. Either frozen, delivery or papa murphys. Sliced apples or salad are also served.
Saturday-we go to 5:00 Mass and then out to dinner.

It's not always the healthiest but it's a filling meal and it gets the job done. I'm a single mom and with working full time and all these people to take care of, I'm doing the best I can. I used to be a great "from scratch" cook and I know that season of my life will come again. It's just not right now!

I'm with Christine on the one pot and sheet pan dinners. Go on pinterest and you'll find bunches of recipes all in one place with pictures. Now that I'm in the groove I don't really need recipes. Sheet pan equals meat and potato with some veggies and lots of things to spice it up. One pan equals broth, pasta, etc. Add in a night or two for a big salad and/or soup or sandwiches and another night for breakfast for dinner you've got your week planned.

I think the grocery part of meal planning is the biggest part of not eating out. I make a list of meals, then the grocery list. The list of meals I have ingredients for lives on the side of my fridge so anyone in the family can start meal prep (not that they do......)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter