Need tips for taking a 2 yr old to WDW

hookedup

<font color=navy>radsmom <font color=blue>(Mom to
Hello! We are so excited to be taking our first family vacation to WDW! I have always dreamed of going there with my family and I can't believe it is coming so soon! (We are DL veterans and AP holders.)
Not being from FL and not having been to WDW since I was 8 (LONG AGO!) I am not sure what to expect.
My DS is 2, we are not renting a car, and we have 4 day passes.
We have 3 nights a CBR and 3 at GF. I really wanted to stay in a DLX the whole time but splitting the stay was the only way we could not break the bank.
Any special tips from you veterans or those who have gone with a small child? We will be there in early August so I know it will be HOT.
Any special items to pack that are a "must Any tips or advice is really appreciated!
Thanks!!

I have 3 kids and have taken an 18 mo. old son and 2 yr. old daughter. We find water bottles, fanny packs w/snacks always readily available, and a stroller are necessitities. I took a small soft sided cooler and froze juice boxes and put baby wipes in the pocket. I identify the attractions we will HAVE to ride that have slow moving lines and high demand, then make a touring plan to hit those early, late, or during a parade. Dumbo is something no child can walk past, but it's a slow loader meaning for every 100 people in line in front of you, it's a 20 min. wait compared to Small World which is only 1 3/4 min. For stats like these get the Unofficial Guide. We believe in taking breaks to preserve sanity, but it might just be a late lunch with characters. Finally, I prepared them both by telling them "Mickey is as tall as Daddy." We also watched many Disney movies, and I rented ones I didn't own that would have characters we might meet like "Song of the South". This year my youngest is 4, and we're taking her princess costumes so she can dress up.

I'll be taking my 2 1/2 year old in October, so I'm interested in this as well!! One thing I would do, considering your resorts is save the Magic Kingdom for when you are at the GF. Do the others(MGM, Animal Kingdom) the days you are at the other resort, and maybe even do EPCOT while at the GF too.

We have also purchased a new stroller. We were still using our Evenflo travel system, which was big and bulky. I've bought a nice umbrella stroller, because when we've gone before, that stroller has been a hassle(you have to collapse it before getting on the buses-which is a huge pain in itself, never mind having a diaper bag, camera, video camera, etc. You don't have to collapse them on the monorail, though, which is good news for you while you're at the GF).

Our ds also takes a regular 2-2 1/2 hr nap every day, so we plan to return to our hotel for a midday break.

Have fun!!

Jen

I forgot about activities for lines. We take bubbles, pipe cleaners, and are looking for the Magic Moments game I've read about in other posts. Other guests didn't mind the bubbles, and other kids in line had fun popping them.

Afternoon nap at the resort in a bed is important! Even though you may be tempted to keep going, it will be tough on your young one.

Get a misty fan to keep cool with. They also make the smaller hand held fans that may help with the heat.

Don't be surprised that your young one is terrified of the characters. No matter how you can say how big Goofy is...well, Goofy is much bigger to a 2 year old!!!:) The characters are good that they won't push themselves on a terrified child and will just stay back and wave and such.

Have a great trip!

Just took our 1 1/2 yo DD. You'd be suprised at the stuff you can do with them reither than the stuff you can't. First of all you are the only ones who know what kind of things you like to do and what time naps are. So what i do is pick up event sched. for all the parks when you check in. They have all the times for all the parades, fireworks,shows and what not at check in. Plan your day around what you want to see and when naps are. It is a bit of a hassle (a big hassle) to go on and off the bus with strollers so my DH and I planned our quite time when are DD took her nap. We would let her sleep in her stroller in a shady quite spot while we either had a little snack (dessert) or my DH would stay w/ her and I would go shopping. We all know it's easier and faster to get things done without an infant. Also try and keep them on their regular sched. Eating and what not. And really do whatever you want. Our DD loved everthing. She wasn't affraid of anything. She just loved Pirates of the Car. Make sure you bring snack foods for them. Or you will spend all your time waiting in line for food. And sunscreen is a BIG must. If you have a little cooler bring it with juice or water. Little ones get very dehi. If you live near a Walmart they sell misting fans. Great investment for the family Keeps them cool but also keeps them busy. I also found that any little toy that lights up will keep them busy.
As for the umbrella stroller. I don't advice it. There is little to none for storage which means you'll be carring it. And also you child can't lay down in them so you would need to leave the park for naps. Bigger strollers are a little more hassle but well worth it. Jeep does make a nice little stroller. you can find it at JCpenny's for around $50.00.
Hope this helps? Any more questions?
oh the nip-nap is great if their awake and you can carry them.

I agree about the umbrella stroller. The bigger strollers are more of a hassle but the umbrella stroller is not very practical for a toddler at WDW. You definately need a stroller where they can lay back. It should also have a top to shade the sun, as the sun beats down pretty strong mid-day. It should also have a carrier pouch at the bottom to help you hold things. And even the tray in the front for their snacks and juice. In other words, don't skimp on the stroller. You will need the most a stroller can offer to keep your little one comfortable at WDW.

About the fans -- We found a great clip-on one that looks like a duck. The bill squeeks. It's the size of other larger clip-ons and attaches easily to the awning of a stroller. Walmart has a squirt gun/fan, too that would be fun.

We have a nice stroller, but we'd rather rent one at Disney. I agree with thumbs down to the umbrella stroller.

Besides preparing the kids well in advance about the size of the characters, we held the smallest when meeting a character for the first time. Characters aren't so scary when they're not towering over you. This has worked for all 3 kids beautifully, and we've not had any fear of characters.

Don't forget to request a refrigerator at the GF. It was great for keeping milk and some snacks in the room. The pool has swim vests that are wonderful. Our DD could swim without us holding onto her as long as we stayed right with her. This made the pool more relaxing. We made sure to make PS so that we knew we would not have a long wait for meals. We planned for one sitdown meal a day. Lastly, I would say not to try to fit too much into one day. Everyone will have more fun if you relax and see what you can than if you try to rush and fit too much in.

We (DW and I) took our DD (2 years) and DS (9 months) last February, and they did great! We are planning a trip in December and maybe even a quick trip in September.

We brought two Kolcraft umbrella strollers (Kolcraft stroller ) and a connector for them. This stroller has a canopy and reclines enough that both kids were able to sleep comfortably in it. It doesn’t have any storage, but it is pretty light and folds up like an umbrella stroller.

For storage we brought a folding changing kit (changing kit ) and a small back pack for bottles, snacks, etc. They hung on the strollers.

One thing that worked great for the 2 year old was managing her expectations before the trip. We played Disney World with her toys before the trip. They went in an airplane, stayed in a hotel, went on rides, and visited the Disney charters. They even stood in line before doing things. When the trip finally came she knew what to expect (i.e. you don’t just get on Dumbo, you wait in line for your turn).

Thanks you guys for some great tips and ideas - great feedback!!:cool:

One more suggestion about the characters. We took DS, then 19mos, in November. We arrived in the afternoon and had PS for dinner with Pooh at the GF, the only character he knew at the time.

A character meal was a good place for him to see the characters for the first time: he is not shy, but likes to assess the situation before he jumps in. The first couple of characters that came by, we just waved, then the next couple he would talk to until, by the end of the meal, he was hugging and kissing them. We were set for the rest of the week.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

We first went to WDW when my DS was 2yo. To make matters worse, he has a sensory processing disorder (hence very easily overloaded). Two essential hints: 1. bring a lightweight blanket for shading from sun or to reduce stimulation for naptime, and 2. PLAN downtime every afternoon. Nothing will ruin a trip as fast as overtired cranky kids! I agree that preparation is key -- these characters are BIG, so a character meal is a great way to start. You can usually see them coming, & have time to adjust. RE: the stroller, I think big ones are a pain (it will eliminate riding the train anything less than round trip in MK), but storage is important too. We bought a Kolcraft umbrella (because they have a canopy & recline) & got a hanging stroller organizer thing for all our stuff. Also a backpack can hang on the stroller, and is easy to carry onto buses, etc. Hope you have a blast!:D

I made PS's today for the character dinner at the GF! Thanks for that advice - I am sure he will love that (of course I will too!!)

We've been to WDW twice in the past year with my DS, who was 14 mos. the first trip and 21 mos. the second trip (we live in Florida). I think perhaps the most important thing (which hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread) is the pacing of your trip. Do NOT expect to see every attraction, and don't put pressure on yourself to do everything. The toddler runs the show here; if they get cranky, get somewhere air conditioned (preferably the hotel) where they can relax. On our last trip, we had a tough time with naps since my DS was more aware of his surroundings and way to excited to sleep. We still left the parks in the afternoon, though, and either went to the pool, hung out at the room or drove around in the car (one day we just hung out at the coffee house in Epcot, which was nearly empty, and let him sleep in his stroller).

The other big issue is standing in line. He has no patience, and now knows there's a ride at the end (he starts yelling "ride, ride!" after a few minutes). The only solution here is the miracle of Fast Pass (learn it, use it, love it) and choosing rides with under 20 minute waits (which in reality end up being 10-15 minutes). For "grown up" rides, I heartily recommend a baby swap; it works particularly well at Test Track since there's a fountain nearby that kids love to play in while one parent is on the ride.

If you keep your expectations in the right perspective, you will have as much fun enjoying Disney through your child's eyes as through your own. You never know just what he will latch on to (my DS is now a rabid Pirates of the Caribbean fan), which in my opinion makes the trip even more enjoyable, even if you don't get a chance to ride Space Mountain.

Have Fun!!!:)

I forgot to add that our umbrella stroller is the kind with a small basket, a large hood and reclines. We have used the kind that are cheaper and I hate them as well.

Even though the basket is smaller on this one, we only plan to take a small diaper bag(and I mean small-all we need is the bare essentials) and a small camera bag, and they will both fit in this basket. When he was smaller we needed more space for his stuff, but now, for us, we just need a small space. Our little guy is so fast, we do good to keep up with him, LOL!;)

An excellent point, Chancellor! Better to plan to return to WDW than make everyone miserable by trying to see it/do it/eat it all in one trip! The unofficial guides have great descriptions of how to minimize intolerable waits too (including the baby swap).
:cool:

An oft-overlooked item is a washcloth for the hot days. The cart drink vendors have a drain for the melted ice that goes into a bucket. We asked to dunk our washcloths in the drain bucket of ice water and had a very refreshing, instant cool-off. This worked well for everyone from Grandpa to the smallest 1yo. Plus it had the advantage of letting the 1yo play with it afterward. We weren't worried about him getting too wet since it was in the mid-90's during our entire stay :)

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter