Need some feedback about character breakfasts . . .

rejobako

I've been to Disney about two dozen times in my lifetime, but I've never been to a character breakfast. My little daughter just turned three, and she's now cognizant enough to know that when we go to Disney for our 7 day vacation in two weeks, she wants to see Mickey up close and personal. So I called WDW and got the rundown on character breakfasts, and we chose the one at Ohana in the Polynesian. "Characters subject to change", of course, but Mickey is scheduled to appear.

Can anyone tell me what the format is on these things? How many characters are there? What do they do? Do they show up at your table? Can you mingle with them for a minute or two at least? Does the health department frown on large rodents running around restaurants amongst the dining guests? Any information would be appreciated.

Consider this.. I have DD age 3. When we first took her to Disney World at 16 months, we got into Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast where you can eat with the Princesses. At that age she would have been better off at Ohana, Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace with the regular, oversized characters.

Now its a totally different story. She is soooo into the princesses now that it is a must for us to do the Princess this coming October. When we were there 10/01 she got to meet Cinderella, Snow White, and Alladin. She didn't really care then, but now forget it she would flip!

If your kids are into the Princesses then that is a great breakfast. If they are more into the Pooh Characters or Mickey, Minnie, Donald, etc.. then the other breakfasts are better.

In terms of the format. Our experience has been that they seat you and the characters just continue to make rounds and hit all the tables. You will be able to see the pattern when you sit. They come up and greet you and your family. Mickey colored with our daughter for a couple minutes in The Land at Epcot (see below). The live characters that are allowed to speak ask questions about your visit etc.. They all pose for pictures. Really fun stuff.

With regards to meeting Mickey close and personal, don't be disappointed if Mickey does not happen to be at your breakfast. You can visit Mickey in ToonTown and get to see his house even!! Totally not rushed. Everyone gets a good turn. We let DD walk up to Mickey and hold his hand. We had like 3-4 minutes before we felt it was time to let the next person go. Try to get there early. Also when we were there in 2001 The Land has a restaurant in it that offers character lunches where you can just walk in. Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale hit our table like 3 times for each character during our meal. Not sure if they still have that now, but it was great and was totally empty when we went so the characters were around us constantly.

Have a great time!

We love the Ohanas breakfast, which is a great choice for a three year old.

Here is the format.

Ohanas is served family style. Which means that you sit down at a table and a server will bring you a big pan of scrambled eggs, biscuits, waffles, bacon, etc. Most character meals are buffet (you get up to get your food). Cindy's is pre-plated (someone brings a plate of food to each person). All of them are all you can eat - although the buffets are easier to control just how "all you can eat" it really is if you are eating with teenage boys (you have to wait for the waitstaff to bring you food at the other types - and they aren't always there immediately). But with little ones in tow, we really like family style.

As you walk to your table, you will notice the characters moving through the restaurant. Ohanas is usually Mickey, Goofy and Chip and Dale - and if it isn't, it would be a big exception rather than the rule. You aren't guarenteed certain characters, but its actually pretty dependable.

You sit, and the characters will come to you as you eat. They will give you plenty of photo ops. Hugs, play with your head. The "big headed" characters don't talk - but they communicate pretty well in mime. They will sign autographs. Generally, each character spends a few minutes at your table before moving on. And there will be a few minutes before the next arrives. You should - during a normal breakfast - see the entire rotation at least once. We have great pictures of our two year old giving Dale a huge hug at Ohanas.

At Ohanas they get the kids out of their seats about once an hour to parade through the restaurant.

You'll have a great time.

disneybud & crisi: thanks so much for the information. I'm pleased to hear that my little girl will be able to spend a few minutes with the characters. She's met Mickey once in Toontown; I couldn't get over the undiluted awe and happiness on her face as she ran up to Mickey and hugged him tight. It was like pulling teeth getting her to relinquish her hold on him for the next family. I really think she'll enjoy being able to meet Mickey and the other characters in a less hurried atmosphere.

I agree that the character interaction at the Garden Grille was good with Mickey, Pluto, and C & D, my children liked it.

But when they were 3 and 6 we did the Pooh breakfast at CP in MK. It was very nice and the big, stuffed, soft characters were just right for a 3 year old.

Must say our best ever character interaction was during the now defunct "Character Caravan" in the lobby of BWI. I know a lot of people were not fond of CC but it sure was nice for us.

:D

We, too, felt we were lucky to have the Character Caravan. My kids were the perfect age. The right characters showed up at the resort, the timing was perfect - they were showing up and leaving just in time for us to go to the bus stop and make opening at the parks.....it was a real highlight of the trip.

I can see where a lot of people prefer EE over the Character Caravan. But it worked great for us that trip.

If I had a daughter then I would go for a princess breakfast, BUT I have a son! He is 8. I'm not sure which breakfast would be best for him. I was thinking the Restaurantosaurus or the Cape May Cafe or the 'Ohana. any suggestions?

Last November I went with my sister- and brother-in-law, and their two children. My niece was 3-1/2 and my nephew about 6-1/2. SIL was very very much into Character meals, and planned about five or six of them in five days. Talk about overdose for me, but the children really enjoyed them, and I was able to do a lot of observing.

The 3-1/2 niece was DELIGHTED with the Princess Breakfast at Epcot, and I have to say that I enjoyed that the most. (being a girly-girl myself, and I was on the dark side of 44 at the time.) Anything with Pooh and friends was a big hit with both of them. (Nephew is kind of young for his age, though.) Chef Mickey's would be my recommendation for your son, breakfast or dinner (yes, we did them both!) The atmosphere is a little manic, but fun, and the food was delicious. Yep, we did Breakfastasaurus too - also good for your eight year old.

Maddle

PS - don't expect to have any kind of relaxing meal at these events - as soon as you settle down for a bite or two, another character is approaching. It's all in good fun, and if you go with the flow it is very entertaining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter