• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need some advice please.

winniedapooh

<font color=magenta>Busy and proud Mom of 5 Disney
With a week left to go before we leave for WDW, last Thursday I slipped on black ice not 10 feet from the door to where I work. Friday morning I was having my last cartilage injection done on my right knee so I did not go see dr. until then. I have had chronic knee problems for as long as I can remember and have had 2 open surgeries on my good knee, left, and 10+ surgeries both open and arthroscopic on the right. I could barely walk and was so swollen on both sides. He said he had no idea without opening me up how much damage I did to the right knee-he also took out a good amount of fluid while doing the injection, can you say pain? He also said that I had sprained my left knee and possible tore some ligaments! My dilemma.....we leave Christmas day and I have been icing and keeping them elavated since then. They are still sore and swell very easily but I don't want to use a wheelchair, between my sister who is paralyzed from mid trunk down to others I hear about on this board I really have a problem with me using one. I think mostly because of sister I would feel like a fraud. I am so excited and blessed to be going again with the kids but am so ticked that I will need pain meds and ice packs and be very limited! Sigh.....thanks for listening all! Pixie dust for a happy holiday season for all.

If you have an injury that affects your mobility get the ECV. Do not go and try to suck it up. You will ruin your trip. It doesn't matter what others feel. You must care for yourself!

Not only must you care for yourself, as Lisa says, but if you try to "tough it out" you will manage to ruin everyone else's vacation by your being miserable. I would suggest an ECV rather than a chair as it will give you the mobility you will need. Also, you, and the people you are with, know this is a real problem; what ANYONE else thinks about you does not matter!

I agree with what Lisa & Mike have said. I read this board for a few months before I realized that I "qualify" to use an ECV at WDW, to get a handicapped parking permit, etc. You owe it to yourself to take care of yourself, & if that means using an ECV to get around WDW, then by all means get one! Don't push yourself by tring to walk around the parks, the resorts, wherever without assistance (ECV, wheelchair, etc.) - you don't want or need to make your knees worse.

Hi, winniedapooh!

It can be so difficult to have to admit to ourselves and others that we are no longer able to do physical things that we were once able to do. Our society values independence a great deal, and when things change so that we need help from others or from special equipment to do stuff, especially stuff we had always been able to do by ourselves before, it is a loss. You have pain and difficulty walking because of the pain and since it isn't a competition (smile) about who is more disabled or more deserving of using assistance like a wheelchair or ECV, I think you should listen to the very wise people here who have suggested that you use those devices so that you (and everyone else in your party) can enjoy WDW as much as possible.

It's so strange, as I just renewed my handicapped sticker last year and my physician just gave me back the form that he has to fill out so that I could turn it into the Department of Motor Vehicles. When I read what he had written (just the medical facts of my disabilities), I found myself getting upset. I mean, it couldn't possibly be as bad sounding as what he had written, could it??? (smile)

I realized that at some level, I had wanted him to write on the form that I didn't need a handicapped sticker and it was a shock to actually see my disabilities listed in black and white with all of the details. Which was kind of silly of me, as I have had these disabilities for many years now. But the need to deny this sometimes gets the better of me(smile).

Chronic physical pain is a hidden disability. It can suck all of the joy out of life and use up all available energy. If you use an ECV or wheelchair, your pain level with be eased and you will have more energy to share some of your good feelings with other people.

At least for me, my pain constricts me and makes me less likely to reach out to others. I know that I really like being able to help others when I can. Which is what I remind myself when I am accepting help from others(smile), that there is a real joy in giving what I can and that accepting the help I need with a smile and a genuine thank you not only helps the recipient, it helps the giver too.

Now off to bed, as the last pain pill seems to have finally settled things down enough for me to get some sleep(smile) and be more ready for Christmas.

My first thought when reading your original post was EVC. You want to be happy and comfortable and have a WONDERFUL time. You don't want to have to worry about icing your knees before you head to the next attraction! (besides, who knows how much ice may cost in the parks!!! LOL) EVC is a better choice than a wheelchair because if you are not used to using a chair, you will be MISERABLE!

I wish you a wonderful vacation!!! Sending pixie dust your way!

I know how you feel! We had gone in April and I knew I should have used an EVC but I didn't because I didn't want to admit to myself I was disabled. (I have back problems that makes walking difficult, among other things.) Well, by the time we were done with Epcot I was in so much pain and could barely walk. It was miserable and because I was miserable I made sure everyone else was too! LOL
When we went in July, guess what I had! Yep, brought a EVC. It was great!
I'll be doing it again in February. The hardest thing for me though will be using an EVC in front of my parents in February. But it is something I know I have to do if I want to enjoy my trip.
I know its hard to accept the fact sometimes that we need help. I had a hard time with what others think. I am only 39 and on the outside I look perfectly healthy. I know this is something I will have to deal with for the rest of my life as I know my condition will get worse. I just keep reminding myself that if the Doctor considers me disabled (have a parking tag) and if the government considers me disabled (I collect Social Security Disablilty) Then guess what. I am disabled! LOL
So...the long and short of it is is don't worry what anyone else may say or do, you have to do whats best for YOU! Go, rent an EVC and have a blast!!!!

Please don't try to tough it out. You may end up worsening your condition.

"I think mostly because of sister I would feel like a fraud."

Not so! People have all levels of need. MS makes it difficult for me to walk unassisted, which it not as severe as being paralyzed from the trunk down, but it still limits what I can do without assistance.

Listen to what the others who've posted are saying to you. RENT AN ECV. From your description, you need one in order to be able to enjoy WDW. ECV's are not front-of-the-line passes. They enable those who need them (at the moment, YOU) to access and enjoy the park equally as those who don't need them.

I hope you see this before you leave tomorrow! Have a wonderful vacation!!!!!!

dj

I was gone from the 23 until late last night (12/28), so of course I didn't see your post until too late.
But, you got some very excellent advice from people who really know aht they are talking about. I hope you did rent an ecv and had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter