Need Pirate Stew.

h20jag

<br><font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=m
Please help me find the "Pirate Stew in Crockpot" recipe? I give up on the Search method.
Lost my years old printed copy & my powers of recall are weak. Thank you to all Pirate Stew fans. I love that dish!

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion
1 can (28 ounce size) crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup uncooked rice
3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 can (15 ounce size) black beans, drained
1 can (15-oz. size) pinto beans, drained
1 cup water
***Seasonings***
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS:

The only thing that you have to cook on the stove is the burger and onion - go ahead and brown in a pan, crumbling and breaking it apart as it cooks. Add the onion halfway through, it's OK if there's some pink left (in the burger) since it'll finish cooking in the crockpot.

Now you're all set to layer everything in the slowcooker in this order: half the can of tomatoes, half the rice (1/4 cup), half the potato chunks, and 1 can of beans. Add the entire pan of browned beef and onion next. Then finish layering: tomatoes, rice, potatoes, and last can of beans, ending with the water and sprinkling the seasonings on top. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours (I turned it to low for the last hour since my new slowcooker has a higher temperature setting than the old one.) If you have an older one, you can plan to have this cook for 7 to 8 hours, no problem. The newer cookers will overcook it though, if theyre on high for this long. Better to go with a lower setting if you're not home to keep an eye on it.

I might try this with barley instead of rice and make it more of a soup - DS(13) LOVES soup in ANY form:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!