Need Montreal suggestions for Christmas trip

princesspiglet

DIS Veteran
Basically, the title says it all. My family ( DH and DD15) will be taking a vacation to Montreal over Christmas break this year. None of us have ever been to Quebec and need some good recommendations. I have the hotel booked- SpringHill Suites Old Montreal and we will be driving up from central PA. We will be there from 12/23-12/30. Can any locals recommend good restaurants, attractions, things to do in the winter, festivals, etc. We love everything French, so French cafes/restaurants etc would be great

I live in Montreal since 1998 (originally from Quebec city). As soon as I have more than 2 minutes I will give you some of my suggestions for restaurants and things to do during that time of year. For the drive, I assume you will take the I-81 and then 401 in Ontario and 20 in Quebec? That's a nice drive but beware of the lake effect close to Syracuse, NY for potential snow storms. We often visits friends in Williamsport, PA and the drive is easy and enjoyable.

Here are some resto suggestions:
  • If you like classic French Bistro cuisine, L'Express is the place to go. Quintessential Montreal. Outstanding wine list, great French food. Reserve well in advance though, i.e., a few weeks before at least.
  • As well, there are tons of "bring-your-own-wine" French restaurants in Montreal that are fantastic. Many are tiny, some have only two sittings a night, but the food is fantastic. L'Entrepont is one example, but there are so many.
  • The iconic Schwartz's deli is also a must for Montreal smoked meat.
  • Joe Beef is one you should hit as well. Superb cuisine.
If I have time, I'll try to chime in with attractions and things-to-do.

Hi, welcome to Montréal!!!
I suggest you to explore the Old Port and Downtown. They have a firework competition for different countries every week (or so) so you can check that on Google if you search L'international des feux Loto-Québec. Eating you can go anywhere. You can explore the métro (subway in New York) and if you want something really pretty you can go to the Orange line and wait a little bit until the new Azur train comes. You have a lot of things to do in Montréal, hope you have a great vacation!!!!

EDIT : Underlined passage = Oops, I forgot that you're going during Christmas. It's not gonna have the fireworks anymore, but like the user below me, a great idea to go outside "without" going outside is going to the Underground City, which is multiple shops & malls connected underground with metro lines :)

Last edited:

One of the things you will find very helpful is the "underground city" which is essentially an underground pedestrian network that links several downtown complexes, hotels, shopping centres and metro stations. It's winter, avoid the ice and snow when you can. You are going to have to walk at street level a few blocks from your hotel, but once you are in the underground city, you're good to go. The front desk at your hotel should be able to give you a map.

I like to trek over to Ogilvy's (a high-end dept. store) on Ste. Catherine to look at their Christmas window. It used to be that all their street-level windows would have really complicated automated Christmas scenes. Little moving figurines of ducks and rabbits and bears dressed up for the holidays. The last time I was there, they were down to one window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter