~Need information on Wilderness Lodge....any information from past travelers..

joenan88

DIS Veteran
Well, here I am again planning another Disney trip...We stayed last July at The Grand Floridian, concierge and loved it....The November before we stayed at the Polynesian and liked it...I felt the resort needs a facelift...anyway, I am considering doing 2 rooms at The Wilderness lodge this August but would like some input from people who have been there...:)

Well, anything is going to be a step down from CL at the Grand Floridian! But we loved the WL. Granted you aren't on the monorail line, but I love the compact nature of the resort and the theming. If it's raining you don't have to go outside for anything. Also being on that side of Bay Lake is very relaxing and makes it more of a 'resort' vacation. The boats to MK and FW were convenient and overall the buses were fine, although that may have changed recently. I don't recommend the WL during a super crowded time of year because the restaurants and pool are on the small side. We stayed at the YC in September and besides being close to Epcot I really prefer the theming at WL. The rooms are also smaller than you would have had at the GF and the Poly.

We love the WL..in fact I just booked our fourth trip there an hour ago. I have stayed at all the Deluxe resorts and keep comming back to the WL. It just has this calming effect on me that is hard to describe. I am able to go to the parks and then come back to the resort and actually relax. It gives us the opportunity to enjoy 2 vacations in one; the high paced and sometimes chaotic park hopping part and then the peacefull and beautifull resort that is breathtaking. I love to get a book and curl up in one of the alcoves by the fireplace and chill for an hour. The counter service is great and has great hours ( not all the Deluxes have a counter service). The resort is not on the monorail, but we just take a boat over to the CR and hop on it there. Never had a problem with transportation, either on the boat or the bus. Room service was great!
The pool was never very crowded and the bar very close!!!
There is even a little beach you can go lay out on. The resort also has a marina and bike shop. We have rented the water mice several times and rode bikes over to Fort Wilderness. So many wonderfull memories at WL!!

I can't wait to go back in July. We have stayed in a courtyard room and twice on the CL. Keep comming back to the CL....once you've done it it is addictive!

Any specific questions??

Thanks so much for responding...I have had several friends stay at the WL, as well, and LOVED it...I love the pictures and theme...I love the GF..but would like to try something different...and I was able to book 2 rooms at the WL for $800.00 more then one room at the GF for our stay..that alone is worth it...I have 3 kiddies :) but I do have some questions..can you review the restaurants for me?..I like the theme of the Whispering Canyon but would like to know how the food is...also Artists point....also, a boat goes straight to the CR?....I thought it just went to the MK....Thanks ;)

The Wispering Canyon is a fun loud and noisey resturant that your kids will love. The cms there get the kids going in pony races. Dont forget to order ketchup. The artist point is a nice quiet place to go eat a nice sit down meal if your kids are old enough buy them a pizza and leave them in the room with movie and enjoy a night out with your spouse. The food in the wispering canyon is good not excellent but good. We loved the Artist point. Yes there is a boat that goes straight to CR this is how we went to MK. There is also a boat to the FW and to MK bus service for all the others. We have taken the boat to the CR then monorail to TTC then monorail to epcot but the bus would have been much faster.

We've done at least 10 stays there. Boats have changed alot over our trips, the last stay the boats were one to CR and FW and the other straight to MK. As I said this changes from time to time but we do enjoy the boat to the MK. As for the food, all top notch, even the food court has some good CS meals. We also boat over to FW, some of the best buffet on property, down home american vittles.

Thanks so much for responding...I have had several friends stay at the WL, as well, and LOVED it...I love the pictures and theme...I love the GF..but would like to try something different...and I was able to book 2 rooms at the WL for $800.00 more then one room at the GF for our stay..that alone is worth it...I have 3 kiddies :) but I do have some questions..can you review the restaurants for me?..I like the theme of the Whispering Canyon but would like to know how the food is...also Artists point....also, a boat goes straight to the CR?....I thought it just went to the MK....Thanks ;)

HI! We're big WL fans! We put together a fan site WildernessLodgeSite.com to celebrate the place.

Whispering Canyon is fine--we go more for the fun interaction than the food (it's pretty standard barbeque fare). Breakfast is fun there as well. Here's our WCC page.

Artist Point is our least favorite signature dining experience, but it's decent. Here's our Artist Point page with pics of the restaurant and some food.

And one boat goes to the MK, and one goes to the CR and Fort Wilderness. Here's our transportation page which gives photos, times, and more info.

Have fun!!

We just stayed at WL about 2 weeks ago for the first time and greatly enjoyed it! We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to concierge, and it was incredible! The resort was incredibly themed, and we had a wonderful room.

We also had a phenomenal dinner at Artist Point. It was by far the best WDW meal we've ever had!

We will definitely stay at WL again in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter