Need HELP with side dish for enchiladas!

minEEmoz

Earning My Ears
My DM-I-L is making enchiladas and rice for Christmas Eve dinner. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to go with it. I've found a recipe for refried beans that I'm going to try (instead of the can) and I'm going to be making cornbread. Is there some other vegetable dish that will go along with it?

I'm also planning on having a pasta dish with salad and rolls for the kids. And maybe some southwestern grilled shrimp.

Thanks for the help.

Michele

How about a soup or salad? Someone was talking about Chili's Enchilada Soup the other day. Or MsSocks found me one that might be similar to Chi-Chi's Tortilla Soup - or is it Taco soup?

Simple Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
1/3 cup water
1 tomato, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 flour tortillas, sliced
1/4 cup oil
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Directions
In a blender, mix water, chopped tomato, and chopped onion until smooth.

In a large saucepan add chicken broth, water, chopped garlic cloves, cilantro, salt, pepper, and the tomato/onion mixture, and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.

In a heavy skillet, fry flour tortillas sliced into strips in hot oil until crisp; drain. Serve the soup topped with grated cheddar cheese and the fried tortillas.

Servings: 4

Something that was always a hit here - even when the kids were younger was Taco Salad. (I think it might have been the Doritos!)

Taco Salad
1 lb ground meat
3/4 c water
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 head lettuce
2 c kidney beans
1 - 2 c Cheddar, grated
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 - 2 c carrots, grated (opt)
1/2 bottle French dressing
taco chips, crushed
Prepare meat as for tacos with water & seasoning; chill. Toss with lettuce, beans, cheese, tomatoes, carrots & half the chips. Pour dressing over all & mix. Top with remaining chips. (Use plain chips or Doritos.)

This is a great compliment to Mexican food. It's called Calabacitos

3-4 zucchini or yellow squash sliced
1 large onion chopped
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
1 4 oz. can chopped green chilis
1 16 oz. can whole kernal corn
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Saute squash, onion and fresh garlic in oil until barely tender. Add chilis, corn and cheese.
Mix well.
Put in buttered 1 qt. casserole pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

We even did a Mexican Thanksgiving once- and no we are not Mexican- we are American Italian. How bout a beautiful salad with jicama diced in. People go crazy for this. Cornbread is a must. Green beans with a lttle butter and a bit of mexican spice or Emeril's seasoning. Go crazy and enjoy

I like to serve a tossed salad with a dressing made of simply mixing salsa and sourcream (you can thin it if needed with a little butter milk, milk or tomatoe juice), or corn with peppers and onions

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter