Need help with planning a day trip to Paris please

markpsych

DIS Veteran
We're just stopping at DLP for a couple of days this summer on our way down south.
We're staying off site for a change at an airBnB apartment in val d'Europe.
My son and his girlfriend want to go into Paris for one of the days, and want to visit the Catacombs and the Eiffel Tower specifically.
If someone could suggest the most straight forward route via the train station in val d'Europe it would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark

If they have smart phones and will have data service available while visiting (I strongly encourage this) I would recommend installing the CityMapper app. It allows you to select exactly the location you want to go to and uses GPS to map where you are. It will then tell you specifically what train to take, and show on a map where the station is relative to your current location. It even goes so far as to tell you what exit to go out of when you get to the larger stations with multiple exit points to. The RER station in Val de Europe is easy and then Citymapper will tell you which station to get off at and what train to connect to for your destination. It covers both the RER and Metro routes and interconnects them automatically, Recommended.

If they will not have data, they can use it to plan their route in advance using hotel WiFi or similar and then just screen shot the route to destination.

It's easy to follow the signs with the RER to get off at the correct station. We did it a few years ago.

The RER train from Val d"Europe goes direct into Paris. There is only one line and it either goes to Marne la Vallee (DLP) which is 1/2 stops away or the other direction it goes towards Paris.
It links with the metro system in Paris and stops at a few different stations.

If they want to go to the Eiffel Tower I suggest getting the RER as far as Charles de Gualle Etoile (not to be confused with the airport) , changing onto the metro line 6 for 3 stops and getting off at Trocadero. From here you get what I think is one of the best views of the Tower. You can then walk down past the fountains towards it.

I had to google where the catacombs were as its something Ive never done and it seems the closest metro station is Denfert Rochereau which is on the same line. So you could either back track to the same metro station or carry on under the Tower and through the gardens - Champs des Mars to metro stop Bir-Hakeim.

Look at the metro map to get a feel for where they are

http://parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/paris-metro-map-2014.pdf

The other station which connects this line and the RER line is Nation which is the other end of metro line 6

I hope this all makes sense

The best ticket to get is a mobilis ticket which costs approx 16Euros per adult and covers the return trip between DLP/Val D'Europe and Paris and also unlimited use of the metro for that day

It is recomended to get tickets for the Eiffel Tower in advance

Fantastic, thanks for all the tips. I'll definitely suggest they get the app too as will be helpful if they have time to go anywhere else.
A Small World, do you know what time the last return train leaves?
We came back once and the train fell into complete darkness for the last couple of stops which was a little unnerving (not sure if that's typical or not?)!

Im not sure but I think they run til about midnight - there are usually more people going the other way at that time of night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter